Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Motor Mount?

Is there a decent motor mount made for a 1969 Pontiac GTO? I replaced the mounts on my car right after I got it in 01. The passenger side mount still appears to be in good shape. The driver side mount looks slightly swollen and the "cage" or "weld" nut that holds the long bolt has broken loose at some point in the past. It proudly states "Made in Korea" on the rubber. I ordered a new pair of mounts a few days ago and picked up the driver side yesterday and attempted an install. After wrestling the old one out I bolted the new one to the block. Pushing the long bolt in I tried to start it. Nope. With light help from a 5/8 socket I realized that something was amiss. Sliding under the front suspension and peering at the weld nut, I realized the threads didn't look right......After much cussing and slamming of tools I took the mount back out and soaked in the situation. The threads on the weld nut looked of a different pitch. I found a METRIC bolt that fit. It became apparent at that point that the weld nut was also attached a pretty good angle. When the bolt was screwed in the backside of the mount, the bolt was at about a 10 degree angle to the path it should have taken. Sigh.................

Does anybody make a decent motor mount, NOT made in Korea. NAPA, Adavance, Auto Zone, Oreilly and our big local ALL sell the same 2255 and 2256 Korean made part.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

David, I reluctantly put those Pioneer brand (made in Korea) ones on my car. In retrospect, I probably should have bought the Mity Mounts. Significantly more $$ but I haven't heard anyone complain and I like their "lock-up" design - seems like you get the best of both worlds - ride comfort of rubber, and longevity of a solid mount. Outside of that, I'd see what Napa has in stock - they tend to carry the best quality of everything (for the most part). Do they still have that Napa down on 31 near Milo's? I used to take my Pontiac blocks to the machinist down there.

P.S. Nevermind, I see that you checked your local Napa to no avail.

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM

These mounts are made in the US.

http://www.amesperf.com/html/New%20Products/FN601M.html

Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg that store is still there. I don't think they do machine work anymore. I work close to that store and get stuff from them pretty regularly. NAPA pictures the Pioneer part on their website. What is a "Mity Mount"

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check this out...http://www.mitymounts.com/howtheywork.htm . They blast "foregin made" rubber mounts, but I can't find where they're actually made. Probably not as much of a big deal if the design is better.

RARE HO/RA manifolds
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just talked to Butler Performance. They get there early.
I'll have a set of Mity Mounts tomorrow. The 2 hours I spent farting around with this ONE Pioneer mount last night should make the $100 I just spent seem reasonable.

Last edited by David Jones; 02-05-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got mity mounts on my 69 gto - they are great.

Wish they made them for a 76 TA...

Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Another positive endorsement for Mity Mounts, made in Riverside CA.

I eliminated the GTO's torque stay, as it is no longer required to limit engine twist on launch.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I just opened up my new "Made in the USA" Mity Mounts.
I found it interesting that in faint letters on the back, in the same place that Premier list's their part numbers (2255-2256) are the shadows of .....tada.....Premiers part numbers. So, what I have here are $112.95 (shipping and handling included) worth of Korean made motor mounts. With an allen head bolt screwed in the driver side to limit travel. Nothing changes on the passenger side.

Other than having "Made in Korea" semi ground off of it.

Sigh...............

Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that's surprising. If what you say is true that sounds like blatant misrepresentation. They claimed to be manufactured by Mity Mount? Can you post some pics David? Could it be that the metal piece is made by the same people and then they manfuacturer the lock up embedded rubber piece on top of that? There isn't a way that I can think of that you could retrofit that design they claim into an existing off-the-shelf motor mount.

RARE HO/RA manifolds
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 02-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the back of the Premier mounts there is molded in the rubber "Made in Korea" and the numbers 2255 over the number 2256. I'm going from a 24 hour memory, but I'm pretty close with that. In the same place, in the same font on the Mity's is the same 2255 over the number 2256. Except they managed to grind 99% of it off. Just a shadow is left and I don't think it'll show on a picture. But it's there.

It could be that they mold in 2255-2256 on their rubber and then try to grind it back off for some reason. Maybe that is the universal Pontiac motor mount number. It could be that their metal cores just happen to look just like the Korean ones. It could be that their "weld" nut welder does as ratty looking a job as his Korean counterpart.

It could be that I payed $90 extra for 1 allen head bolt and some flat black spray paint. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow, thats good to know if thats the case. I made a post awhile back on Mity Mounts http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=545187 and was going to be buying some soon. I may wait a bit longer to see what unfolds here........

Frame off (resto mod) 68 GTO - 406, 0-deck, E-Head home port 87cc, TRW L2279F30, Comp. flat solid .577/.577 - 248/248@.050 110LS. 700R4, Precision Industries 3 disc 10" lockup 3500rpm, Moser 9" 4.11, Detroit Locker.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Suspended

have never put any mount in place without first confirming that the nut was aligned with the front hole and the bolt easily threaded into the nut. Sometimes have to straighten back or front so it is square for the long bolt to line up and chase the threads with a tap to be sure they are clean. does not matter what brand, just easier on the bench than in the car. same with bolt holes on the block, heads, etc. usually wire brush bolt threads as well. then modify motor per Jim Hand and extra insurance is torque chain \ strap. motors don't last a lifetime. 2-4 years tops on Pontiacs and BBC.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think I am going to just use a limiting chain on the left mount and leave my new Korean mounts in.................

Frame off (resto mod) 68 GTO - 406, 0-deck, E-Head home port 87cc, TRW L2279F30, Comp. flat solid .577/.577 - 248/248@.050 110LS. 700R4, Precision Industries 3 disc 10" lockup 3500rpm, Moser 9" 4.11, Detroit Locker.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Last night I installed the new Mity Mounts. Before I did I made some direct comparisons to the old mounts, the new Korean mounts (including the defective one) and the Mity Mounts. It turns out that I have 2 different Korean made mounts. The 2 that I am replacing are Premier brand. Proudly states Made in Korea, with the part number 2255-2256. The second set of Korean made mounts (the new ones, defective) consist of a passenger side that is Premier brand and a driver side that says Anchor-Korea with the numbers 2255-2256. The Mity Mount driver side is EXACTLY like the Anchor-Korea branded driver side. Except for the added allen headed bolt. They are identical, down to the mold/finish marks on the rubber. As noted in an earlier post the numbers are of the same font in the same location. The only difference is that 99% of the lettering on the Mity Mount is ground off. And there is no attempt to hide the obvious grinding effort. The rest of the mount is like all the others. Delivered with out much effort at clean up after it came out of the rubber mold.

Here is a copy and paste direct from Mity Mounts website.........

If DynaTech makes mounts for your muscle car or collector car, it means your stock mounts are of the “sandwich” design. It is ironic that your car is expensive to restore, has a high-torque engine, and yet has the worst possible motor mount design! Yet that is the case. Making the case worse is that most muscle car and collector car motor mounts are no longer in production from the OEM manufacturer. This means you must purchase mounts from aftermarket sources. Most aftermarket mounts are produced overseas, and the quality of rubber and production varies greatly. As difficult to replace as your motor mounts are, and considering the potential expense when your mounts fail, you don’t need just a good quality mount; you need a better design.

They need to change their advertising to

"Made in Korea, allen bolt and 700% profit added in the USA"

Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for the advice engineer. I'm sure that your pre-installation testing and inspection regimen was inspired by something in your past similar to my situation.
Before I installed the Mity Mounts I chased all of the threads involved and verified all nut alignment. Everything went smoothly and I even managed to install the passenger side header.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dam, I just gave butler a call and ordered a set.. I'm doing a comparison and if they are the same as sold by Advance/Napa they are going back.. I'm tired of getting taken for a ride and you would think someone like Butler wouldn't sell this crap. Buying low quality parts is getting real old, real fast.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just received the Mity Mounts without the Allen screw; the grind marks on the back of the mount are evident. 112.00 With shipping from Butler.

I also picked up a set of Auto Zone mounts for comparison, exactly the same except missing the grind marks on the back. 19.49 For the pair.

So I paid 92.51 for some crook to grind off the original part #. I’m a little upset over this.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has any one of you with a gripe made a call to DynaTech (MityMounts) 617-812-0513 for the real story?

Everyone I know who is running the MityMounts (including myself) have been very pleased. My mounts have to be a good 5 years old.

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave, you missed the point of my complaint. The Mity Mounts may be great mounts. Mine have been great so far. My complaint was with their "Made in USA" slant to advertising. These mounts are "Made in Korea". They threaded a $90 screw into one side and improved an existing product. No doubt does what they claim. Its not necessary to call for the real story. Opening 2 boxes of mounts told me everything.

My guess is that somebody with a drill press could turn a set of $19 mounts into "Mity Mount" knock-off's for less than a dollar.