Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm Like to see a pic of this $90 screw!

2017, 74 firebird -3600 lbs (all bests) 1.33 60 ft, 6.314@108.39 9.950@134.32
M/T 275/60 ET SS Drag Radial

2023,(Pontiac 505) 1.27 60 ft, 5.97@112.86, 9.48@139.31.... 275/60 Radial Pro's
Old 04-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones
My guess is that somebody with a drill press could turn a set of $19 mounts into "Mity Mount" knock-off's for less than a dollar.
My point is that too many offer opinion or a "guess" on product/vendors without direct information from the vendor. Yes, personal experience counts by why guess.

In an overarching opinion, I just find it puzzleing that instead of calling a vendor, the first thing a board member does in get on the board and ask or opinionate. This applies to far more subjects than this one. Next thing, a mole hill is turned into a mountain. Why not go directly to the source and find out first hand?

I am not depriving anyone of thier freedoms. It is just that logic tells me that if I purchased something and I have a question about its application or quality, I should call the vendor.

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll give em' a call and see if they'll tell me what size drill bit and tap I need ...........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM

Alright, after reading this thread and having just installed some $100+ MityMounts in my own GTO, I felt compelled to write the tech department of the MityMount folks. They responded next day. Here is the exchange:

Hello,

I just installed a pair of MityMounts that I purchased from Ames Performance Engineering in my GTO. I haven't run it yet but the installation went smoothly and I don't forsee any issues. My question is more commercial in nature.

I decided on MityMounts because your website led me to believe they are superior to other typical stock replacement type mounts available for my application. As I understand it, mounts these days come from Korea, cost about 30 bucks, and are of suspect quality. I've had a pair fail myself. While your website does not claim that MityMounts are made in the USA or that they are not made overseas, the language used sort of suggests that they are superior in quality if not origin. To get to the point, I would like to know if the MityMounts you sell are simply Korean made units that you modify with some bolts and sell for quadruple the price? Actually, let's keep it simple and painless: Are MityMounts constructed from typical foreign-made stock replacement type mounts?

If the answer is yes, fair enough. We live in a capitalist society. It's a clever design and that's definitely worth something. Perhaps not the premium you're getting, in the minds of some people, but definitely something. I do think it would be honorable to divulge the true nature of the product so as to nurture and retain the faith of the "car guy" community. Perhaps I'm fulfilling the destiny of the one who assumes in saying all that but geez, something tells me my suspicions are correct. The mounts were certainly not as cool looking as I had expected when I first laid eyes on them. Not that motor mounts are intended to look cool, of course, but the sloppy rubber molding flash and lackadaisical tack welds on the nuts just didn't scream, "I'm worth $120!" at me.

To be clear, I am not unhappy with the product. I am merely feeling that I may have paid a lot more for it than it might be truly worth and I know I am not alone in this. Then again, I realize that I may be totally off base here and that you are about to make me a heel. So what's up, doc?

+++++++++++++

Dominic, thanks for the question. All MityMounts are produced in America. MityMounts were developed by 2 guys in the "car guy" family over a period of 2 years – why? – because they needed mounts that wouldn't break on their own cars (Mustang & Challenger). The mounts were shown at car shows across California and to their surprise, other muscle car owners were experiencing the same problem – their mounts were tearing apart due to stress. The business began.

Since 1996, MityMounts has been proud to offer oem replacement motor mounts that meet the requirements of demanding muscle car buffs, like yourself, that want not only the solution to a problem but a lifetime warranty on the product.
Dominic, we realize that the MityMounts product will not satisfy everyone, based on the return rate, slightly less that 1% of buyers are not satisfied. If you feel slighted by the MityMounts product in any way, please send the mounts back to us and we will gladly refund your entire purchase cost for the mounts.

Thank you

Apparently, our fears are baseless. I didn't look that closely at mine before I put them on my car so I can't say that I saw any grinding or "Made In Korea" marks on mine, though I don't doubt the findings of David Jones. I don't know what the explanation of those findings is but honestly, I don't feel comfortable pushing their tech department on it myself since I didn't see those issues with my own eyes. I would be very curious to hear what someone else--David Jones perhaps--could find out from them. They didn't give much explanation in their response.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave222 View Post
Dominic, thanks for the question. All MityMounts are produced in America. MityMounts were developed by 2 guys in the "car guy" family over a period of 2 years – why? – because they needed mounts that wouldn't break on their own cars (Mustang & Challenger). The mounts were shown at car shows across California and to their surprise, other muscle car owners were experiencing the same problem – their mounts were tearing apart due to stress. The business began.

Thank you
There is nothing in their response that contradict David's claim. If they are "produced" in the manner that David suggests, they can still claim to be "Produced in America".

Better questions would have been:
"Are ALL of the components of a Mitymount MANUFACTURED in the USA?"
"Is rubber portion molded in the USA by a die of THEIR design using raw material with the USA as it's origin?"
"Are the brackets fabricated in the USA conforming to THEIR design?"
"Are the components assembled in the USA and meet or exceed THEIR design criteria?"

Also, they state the development of their MityMounts took 2 years. 2 years for: initial design, mold design, mold manufacture, prototype manufacturing, prototype testing, marketing, production manufacturing and production assembling, packaging, distribution, etc.

2 years is lightning fast for all of that to occur in the manufacturing world.

Last edited by 69goatboy; 09-11-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David, can you, or anyone else, post a side-by-side picture of these?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The ones I put on in May had the grind mark as David implies.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking MityMount tech guy for president.........?????

I think the guy that wrote the response from Mity Mount ought to be in the running for president next time around. He said alot of words but never directly answered the question that was asked. Evidently at least 1% of their buyers decided not to pay for a stock mount with a little hot rodder ingenuity and a hefty price tag.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Boost Engineer

Basic scam. The people add a bolt as David said, charge a very high mark-up to a basic part you can get elsewhere and modify yourself, and then advertise the parts as American made.

Unfortunately many shops have done the same thing for years. A lot of the camshaft companies (who claim they grind ALL of their own camshafts) buy from a company like Camshaft Machine Company and then put their name on the box. They did not grind anything except the CMC part number off the back of the camshaft.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
On the back of the Premier mounts there is molded in the rubber "Made in Korea" and the numbers 2255 over the number 2256. I'm going from a 24 hour memory, but I'm pretty close with that. In the same place, in the same font on the Mity's is the same 2255 over the number 2256. Except they managed to grind 99% of it off. Just a shadow is left and I don't think it'll show on a picture. But it's there.

It could be that they mold in 2255-2256 on their rubber and then try to grind it back off for some reason. Maybe that is the universal Pontiac motor mount number. It could be that their metal cores just happen to look just like the Korean ones. It could be that their "weld" nut welder does as ratty looking a job as his Korean counterpart.

It could be that I payed $90 extra for 1 allen head bolt and some flat black spray paint. Maybe I'm wrong.
I can't post a picture of the Mity Mounts because they are on my car, but I can guarantee the pair I installed were Korean original mfg mounts that had been modified. No question in my mind. They work great but feel no different to a pair of the same 2255-2256 parts store mounts. At least as far as my 400hp +- GTO is concerned.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If this is what you guys are looking for, I may have some spares to sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2103.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	142673   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2102.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	142674   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2101.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	142675  

Old 09-11-2008, 10:33 PM

are those the Mity mounts? if so, what exactly did they modify? I am getting the idea they just ran a bolt though it...but I am just trying to figure out exactly what they did.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are asking about the ones I posted, they are new old stock Anchor Brand. Left and right sides, same thickness as originals with the interlock tab and hex nuts. U.S. made from what I can tell.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLou View Post
I've got mity mounts on my 69 gto - they are great.

Wish they made them for a 76 TA...
Your 76 TA uses clamshell mounts, which is a superior mount to the 74 and older mounts(which can rip apart), so an improved mount isn't needed for your 76.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 PM

I used Mity Mounts on my 69. I chased the threads on the block prior to install, but the motor was out of the car.
When installing, the all three mounts (motor, trans) lined up perfectly.
If you do your research in advance of a future need, you'll save yourself time and frustration avoiding crap parts.
RR

Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Chief

So the interlock is an allen bolt?....huh. I was looking into these myself. Anyone use any of the urethane ones like Energy Suspension or PST? They are the mechanical interlock design. A good hard 1 to 2 shift found my engine vibration problem. I will let you guess what it was.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 PM

I wrote them back after the first interaction. Here is how it went:

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure it answered my question adequately, though. What I'd like to hear yes or no to specifically is whether MityMounts are actuallly MADE--not produced, assembled, or built--in the USA or if it's a multi-step process. Do you guys make the steel frames, mold the rubber, and weld the nuts on here in America? You know what I'm asking you. I'm not demanding a justification of anything you do at all--only the facts.

Again, I am not unhappy with my MityMounts. I expect them to work great. I admire the fact that you provide a lifetime warranty and that you are willing to refund the full purchase price despite the fact that I didn't even buy them from you. If only all businesses operated with the same mentality.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------

Simply put - they are made in a multi-step process. Other than that, the actual MityMounts production process is keeped private, for apparent business reasons.

Thank you.

So I think it's clear now. Our suspicions seem to have been confirmed. Too bad they're being so weasely about it. Knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I would have bought their product for as much as they charge. In fact, the cheapness of the foreign sourced mounts, which I am familiar with, probably would have turned me off of them. I guess it's up to each guy to decide if these are worth it. They do have a lifetime warranty, which is great, but then again, you could probably make your own for damn near free.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 6 months ago I bought 3 left side motor mounts from Car Quest. 1 of the mounts is about .020 thicker metal than the other 2. All made in Korea. My new mity mounts have the thinner metal also.

Test fitting the MM's while engine on the stand, My Doug's round ports wouldn't clear the left MM. Had to grind the MM tang considerably. It's no longer a "mity mount".

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 09-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounded pretty clear to me. If they were Made in the USA, he would have said so. The pair I have started in Korea. That's cool. If mine ever require replacement, you can count on me cutting the Mity Mount with the bolt in it up so I can make my own. Or I'll just by a set of the Korean mounts they start with and bolt them in untouched, since I don't think their limiter bolt ever does any thing on my particular car.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Chief

Has or does anyone run a solid on the drivers and a regular mount on the passenger side? How would this work on the street?