Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Cam thrust plate

i cant stand it anymore. ive searched and searched but cannot find.

who makes the cam plate with the oil groove around the outside?

thought it was TIP, but no. And i was just on that vendors website like a week ago.

i hate, really hate, being adhd.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NiteMare Performance,

http://www.nitemareperformance.com

Last edited by Robert Williams; 08-08-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

www.spottsperformance.com

Old 08-10-2008, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would avoid the grooved thrust plate like the plague. The thrust plate gets a metered supply of pressurised oil PLUS it gets oil splash/drip from the rotating sprocket PLUS it gets lubed from pressurised oil exiting the front cam bearing. Lubrication is not the problem. The stock plates often have a 'step' in them from wear. That tells a story, but not a lubrication story. The story is that there is insufficient surface area for the load. Grooving the thrust plate only reduces the available area, when what is needed is more area.

The Following User Says Thank You to Geoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
I would avoid the grooved thrust plate like the plague. The thrust plate gets a metered supply of pressurised oil PLUS it gets oil splash/drip from the rotating sprocket PLUS it gets lubed from pressurised oil exiting the front cam bearing. Lubrication is not the problem. The stock plates often have a 'step' in them from wear. That tells a story, but not a lubrication story. The story is that there is insufficient surface area for the load. Grooving the thrust plate only reduces the available area, when what is needed is more area.

Ditto. If ya got the bucks. The rollerized unit is the way to go.

On all my Hi perfromance BBC & SBC's with double rollers, I uses the torrington bearing timing sets with cam buttons. I don't know how many BBC's I have seen or had to have repaired from grooved timing sets for so called better lube, acting like cutters and cut into the block as it rotated. If you could run an engine without a timing set you would see the cam either try and walk out the front or back of the block.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Have a machinist friend cut a small groove on the stock plate,there is sufficient surface area, it only cost the price of a Happy meal.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...m+thrust+plate

Read that thread, you will like what you see. I know I will be using one of Sims Performance Machining thrust plates in my next build.

2004 GTO - Sold
2006 GTO - Sold
1970 GTO - Sold
1972 Trans Am - Sold
1970 Trans Am - Current Project
Old 08-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Suspended

I use the grooved thrust plate from Nitemare Performance. It is grooved only between the plate and the #1 cam journal. It is flat between the thrust plate and the cam gear.

I also use the bronze thrust washer style timing set. I polish all working surfaces to a mirrior finish...Robert

Old 08-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The way I see it, the cam thrust plate problem is due to the same reason[s] that the #4 crank thrust bearing fails: everything works well, until the engine starts getting modified for more hp.
In the case of the cam thrust, heavier oil &/or a stronger oil pressure spring puts more load on the thust plate. As with the crank thrust, more area is needed to spread the load, NOT more oil.
The cam is easier to fix than the crank, & I am surprised it has not been done. Maybe the failure rate is not high enough, or it is not a big enough problem?? Maybe someone will make a new thrust plate that has a smaller centre hole, so it just fits over the cam nose; this would substantially increase the surface bearing area, using the FULL surface area of the front cam journal. The lip on the rear of the cam sprocket would have to me machined off, so maybe the product would be sold as a 'cam plate & timing chain update kit'!??

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just realised my suggestion in post #9 won't work! The fore/aft cam movement has to be limited.
Maybe the lip on the cam sprocket can be reduced in OD, & the hole in the thrust plate correspondingly enlarged to increase the bearing area.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just get the Simms cam bearing/retainer and forget it !!
No more cam walk and dyno showed HP increase...
Just do a search on it here..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 08-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60man View Post
Just get the Simms cam bearing/retainer and forget it !!
No more cam walk and dyno showed HP increase...
Just do a search on it here..
i've looked into that, but i'm very visually oriented, i like to see me some pix of things and i have yet to spot what that setup looks like.

i was under the impression the sims deal was part of a package that included the timing chain. is not?

i have, two actually, cloyes true roller sets, so i'm not too inclined on getting a third.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Senior Chief

It is the whole set with instuctions and alignment tool.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Contact Scott @ simsb52@qmix.net to get pics, instructions and questions answered.
My vote goes to Simms as well.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling money pits View Post
i've looked into that, but i'm very visually oriented, i like to see me some pix of things and i have yet to spot what that setup looks like.

i was under the impression the sims deal was part of a package that included the timing chain. is not?

i have, two actually, cloyes true roller sets, so i'm not too inclined on getting a third.
If you already have timing components you can send them to Scott and he will machine them for his plate setup.I had him do 2 gear drive gaers.Workmanship and product are excellent.