Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I have been taking suggestions for next years Pontiac Heaven and Musclecar Heaven events scheduled here in Phoenix for April 2 and 3.
I am asking, respectfully, that ONLY those who have attended any of my events to reply. This question is for those who have either raced with us, attended in any capacity, or are contemplating doing so this April.
One suggestion that has come up for the bracket racing portion of the event is having “buy backs” for those who are entered in the money classes and go out in the first and/or second rounds. I have never participated or offered this “buy back” option before but, my understanding is that if a person who gets beat in the first or maybe even the second round can “buy themselves back” into the eliminator. This gives them a second chance at the money. The “Buy Back” money goes into the pot for the winners.
I have mixed feelings about this option.
I have been told this is very popular with bracket racers as it increases the prize money and I can see that side of it. Also, it gives the person who went out early another chance for the money and trophy.
On the other hand, my roots go to a more traditional side of Drag Racing when you loose, you are out. Period As an example, there are always cars ( drivers) who are better than the others. By chance, if this guy gets beat, he is done and the rest can “fight for themselves” so to speak. If he has a buy back option, the toughest guy could get back in, giving him another chance.
I am requesting feedback from anyone who has attended any of my events ( racers, show, swap or spectator all apply here) to help me decide which way to go on this decision.
I will still have a gambler bracket as I have had in the past.
My goal, as it has always been, is to provide all attendees a fun, fair, friendly and competitive event to enjoy.
Again please, respectfully, only those who have ever attended any of my events reply as they are the ones this applies to.
thank you,
Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 12-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I have been taking suggestions for next years Pontiac Heaven and Musclecar Heaven events scheduled here in Phoenix for April 2 and 3.
I am asking, respectfully, that ONLY those who have attended any of my events to reply. This question is for those who have either raced with us, attended in any capacity, or are contemplating doing so this April.
One suggestion that has come up for the bracket racing portion of the event is having “buy backs” for those who are entered in the money classes and go out in the first and/or second rounds. I have never participated or offered this “buy back” option before but, my understanding is that if a person who gets beat in the first or maybe even the second round can “buy themselves back” into the eliminator. This gives them a second chance at the money. The “Buy Back” money goes into the pot for the winners.
I have mixed feelings about this option.
I have been told this is very popular with bracket racers as it increases the prize money and I can see that side of it. Also, it gives the person who went out early another chance for the money and trophy.
On the other hand, my roots go to a more traditional side of Drag Racing when you loose, you are out. Period As an example, there are always cars ( drivers) who are better than the others. By chance, if this guy gets beat, he is done and the rest can “fight for themselves” so to speak. If he has a buy back option, the toughest guy could get back in, giving him another chance.
I am requesting feedback from anyone who has attended any of my events ( racers, show, swap or spectator all apply here) to help me decide which way to go on this decision.
I will still have a gambler bracket as I have had in the past.
My goal, as it has always been, is to provide all attendees a fun, fair, friendly and competitive event to enjoy.
Again please, respectfully, only those who have ever attended any of my events reply as they are the ones this applies to.
thank you,
Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org

Hosting-
Old 12-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry about the duplicate thread. I don't know how I did that. Pease respond to the other thread not this one. thanks, Steve

Hosting-
Old 12-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My opinion if you are out you are out..period...from the main show. If you are going to do a buy back I would suggest what is called around here a "Second Chance" race. Racers who go out in the first round or even the second round could still race. They would buy into the "Second Chance" race. These racers would not again compete with the main show but would compete amongst themselves. The payout should not be close to the payout to those in the main show.

A "Second Chance" race could prove popular in your event especially to those who travel to the event. It allows them to further participate since they have spent so much money to get there and to get home. I would see this as a plus.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 12-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve. You mean

<span class="ev_code_RED">Do overs. </span>

LOL.

I would rather see bracket cars do a <span class="ev_code_RED">Second Chance</span> race then a...........
'I screwed up, but get to play again, because I have the money.' And Oh well, if I won first round or not. I get a second shot at racing for the big money. Just show the track the money.
I feel that it's a promotor or track gimick to rake in more money. I notice that no matter how many cars re-enter the purse always stays the same.

I agree with Ron.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The track I race at has a jackpot race for all. You do not have to lose to be in it either. Everybody races no matter what class you are in. The pay out is based on 80% of the pot. The super pro guys have the advantage but that does not mean it isn't fun. The track benefits a little and you do not necessarily have to load up and leave if you get eliminated in the class. Ifv the track does not make money--you soon do not have a track.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, it sucks to go out first round at any race. It REALLY sucks to go out first round after you have driven seven hours to get there. You also have seven hours of driving to get home and think about your brain fa&t that caused you to go out first round. Torture, pure torture for seven hours.

At least if I were to go out first round on Saturday at Pontiac Heaven I can walk over to the car show area and the swap meet area and continue to have fun the rest of the day and think about what I have to do to win on Sunday at the Muscle Car Race. Go out on Sunday...well I get an early start on the trip home.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Old 12-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Ron's assessment. One loss and you are out of the main program, but a second chance race for first round losers that is separate from the main event is a good idea. Didn't you do that type of second chance before?

Old 12-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im against buy backs as well. Put them in their own losers bracket. Let them battle it out.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Ron "Second Chance" race. $20.00 buy in and the pot fills pretty fast.

Old 12-17-2004, 03:05 PM

Steve,

I have taken my car to every event you held. I am not into bracket racing so I can offer no opinion. However, seems to me anything you do should be with the intent to get the car count up or improve "the show" or there is no reason to do it. Will a buy back do that? If yes, do it! Someone will always complain no matter what you do. Last years car count was way down because of weather (yes, it does occasionally rain in Phoenix) but I still had fun. You'll remember me as the white T/A with blue stripes that made it into Pontiac Enthusiast by driving it to the track and running an easy 9. This year I will drive it to the track and run an 8. That'll get their attention and add to "the show."

Old 12-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The further you drive to a race, the better the idea of a buyback sounds. The Pontiac Uprising in Wichita allowed first-round buybacks in the class racing this year and I was glad. I bought back and went to the final. They also had another good idea you might consider: a second round of races after the class races: a Quick 16 for the quickest cars and a Second Chance race for all those who didn't make the Quick 16 AND didn't finish in the money in the class racing. The Second Chance race was run as a gambler with a $10 buy-in and all the money going to the winner. Between the qualifying rounds (about five) and two rounds of racing, everyone was guaranteed several passes and at least a couple of rounds of racing. Even with all the different opportunities to race, the eliminations started after noon and were over by 8PM or so.

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 12-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My vote is a second chance race.

Mighty T/A, hey I saw your trailer parked outside the gate LOL!

Tim C

Old 12-17-2004, 08:14 PM

Hey, that is not fair! Hope you don't have spy photos, could ruin my reputation.

Really, it was more out of necessity than design, I had not bought the trailer yet.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim Corcoran:
My vote is a second chance race.

Mighty T/A, hey I saw your trailer parked outside the gate LOL!

Tim C <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 12-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First of all, thanks loads for such a great event!
I don't like the idea of buying back into the race. Any other way to provide some kind of a second chance for everyone? Two losses and your out.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote for a "Second Chance" elimination, comprised of first round losers only from each bracket who pay an additional fee to be awarded to the winner.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 12-18-2004, 04:15 PM

I like the second chance bracket in place of the buy backs. Would make sense to have a different bracket that people can pay to get into instead of taking from the main jackpot.

Old 12-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No buy backs. Run a second chance race.

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 12-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All right you Pontiac Heaven Attendees....are we going to have fun in 2005 or what!!!!!!!!!

Yes We Are!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking forward to it.
Mighty T/A- Why dont you run that car in the brackets?