Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-18-2014, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hydraulic Roller Lifter

Does anyone manufacturer a hydraulic roller lifter with pin oiling? Found several solid rollers with oiling, but no HR's.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Mark at LPI has some but so far I think for aftermarket blocks only. Might check with him.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 01-19-2014, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I see Crower makes than for a SB Chevy...not cheap man!
The only thing is, to use them you would have to cut the link bar, span it and reweld it I guess to work for a Pontiac.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't understand why they can make them for Chevy's but not for Pontiac. I mean, I understand Chevy's are more popular, but they already have the setup to do it, so why not just do it on all of them. Especially when Chevy and Pontiac lifters are the same size. Typical after market thinking, let's give all the good sh*t to the Chevy boys and screw the Pontiac people. After all, no-one builds Pontiac's anymore, right?

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul to run a roller in a 409 Chevy the Comp Chevy lifters have to have the link replaced by SB Ford links purchased separately, and they won't take back the Chevy links.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
I don't understand why they can make them for Chevy's but not for Pontiac. I mean, I understand Chevy's are more popular, but they already have the setup to do it, so why not just do it on all of them. Especially when Chevy and Pontiac lifters are the same size. Typical after market thinking, let's give all the good sh*t to the Chevy boys and screw the Pontiac people. After all, no-one builds Pontiac's anymore, right?
LOL. Has been keeping me quite busy since the mid 90's and going back to Pontiac racing (not to date myself, lol, early 70's, late 60's) then 20 plus years of Chevy's and Mopars.

Most applications won't see a problem with non oiling bearings unless they get into radical profiles, springs and/or poor oiling system mods. Lotta splash and drain down with an open valley to help keep the cam lubed.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
LOL. Has been keeping me quite busy since the mid 90's and going back to Pontiac racing (not to date myself, lol, early 70's, late 60's) then 20 plus years of Chevy's and Mopars.

Most applications won't see a problem with non oiling bearings unless they get into radical profiles, springs and/or poor oiling system mods. Lotta splash and drain down with an open valley to help keep the cam lubed.
Ken you have a lot success with HR's...do you use comps?

Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Run them exclusively. No issues. 66bonne still has the same C.C. hyd rollers in his current 496 combo from his last combo he ran for years. Has over 20,000 miles plus lots of racing time. I ran them in my own 260plus@.050 with .650 lift cams. Even had them running to 7000 rpm on nitrous. LOL. Install them with all my CC hyd roller std and custom profiles. Lot has to do with adjustment, type of oil, oil pressure, spring pressure with cam profile, etc.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most new vehicles come with roller cams - do any of these engines use lifters with pin oiling?

Old 02-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

Default A/O HRL's

Yes we do sell a hydraulic roller lifter that has axle oiling. We also sell a non-axle oiling limited plunger travel hydraulic roller lifter.

The reason why we have two lifters is due to the design of the cam tunnel in a stock block versus the two aftermarket blocks.

The tangent point of the cam tunnel in a stock block is further from the lifter bore meaning the lifter bore is shorter in length. This shorter length dictates where the oil hole is located to provide a path to the axle and NRB in the lifter.

We can as I have mentioned before we can create an axle oiling option lifter for the stock blocks but the cost is $1900.00 per set.

We look at it with our products as follows:

Lifter #1 will fit stock blocks and aftermarket blocks W/O axle oiling good for 600 lbs. open pressure and 6500 rpm. For us that is what we expect from a stock block under boost conditions with our oiling system and main bearing system design parameters.

Lifter #2 will only fit the aftermarket blocks and is good for 1,000 lbs. open pressure and will easily go to 7500 rpm. Again for our boost build conditions this is more than enough lifter to make big Hp.

Along with our new 3 point oiling, grooved cam bearings we see no reason not to run maintenance free (Like the OEM’s) hydraulic roller systems. This is the 21st century…LOL

We will be running a special on the standard lifter For March and April. Normally they retail for $599.99 a set we will be offering them for $509.99 a set.

The axle oiling units are more due to the cost of making 10 sets at a time. If the demand goes up then the price will go down. Please contact us for pricing.

We also offer a complete service for design of N/A and boosted hydraulic roller camshaft profiles.

We will be testing a set of the axle oiling lifters and our newest boost profile in the next couple weeks.

If you have any questions please give us a call or drop us an email.

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 02-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

Sorry L4S,

To answer your direct question I believe to the best of my knowledge most of the OEM's do not use an axle oiling lifter. Most due to the fact of production cost and the environment that they are designed for...passenger car for 100K miles and 5800 rpm.

The Corvette might have an axle oiling lifter as well as the Z-28 but I do not know for certain.

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 02-22-2014, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Plus OEM vehicles with hyd. roller lifters only run about 70-80 lbs. on the seat and maybe 200 lbs. open. Doesn't take much to make them live. Plus cam lobe profiles are very tame on them.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 02-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
...Most applications won't see a problem with non oiling bearings unless they get into radical profiles, springs and/or poor oiling system mods. Lotta splash and drain down with an open valley to help keep the cam lubed....
That's my understanding, not sure there's a good reason to run them, but I'm no expert there.

Ken - Are you familiar with the Comp Hyd Rollers that are the'new' design which have a 'D' in the part number? I've heard they have corrected a tolerance issue in them and run quieter, though only have heard this by mouth, haven't looked further into it.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPI View Post
Yes we do sell a hydraulic roller lifter that has axle oiling. We also sell a non-axle oiling limited plunger travel hydraulic roller lifter.

The reason why we have two lifters is due to the design of the cam tunnel in a stock block versus the two aftermarket blocks.

The tangent point of the cam tunnel in a stock block is further from the lifter bore meaning the lifter bore is shorter in length. This shorter length dictates where the oil hole is located to provide a path to the axle and NRB in the lifter.

We can as I have mentioned before we can create an axle oiling option lifter for the stock blocks but the cost is $1900.00 per set.

We look at it with our products as follows:

Lifter #1 will fit stock blocks and aftermarket blocks W/O axle oiling good for 600 lbs. open pressure and 6500 rpm. For us that is what we expect from a stock block under boost conditions with our oiling system and main bearing system design parameters.

Lifter #2 will only fit the aftermarket blocks and is good for 1,000 lbs. open pressure and will easily go to 7500 rpm. Again for our boost build conditions this is more than enough lifter to make big Hp.

Along with our new 3 point oiling, grooved cam bearings we see no reason not to run maintenance free (Like the OEM’s) hydraulic roller systems. This is the 21st century…LOL

We will be running a special on the standard lifter For March and April. Normally they retail for $599.99 a set we will be offering them for $509.99 a set.

The axle oiling units are more due to the cost of making 10 sets at a time. If the demand goes up then the price will go down. Please contact us for pricing.

We also offer a complete service for design of N/A and boosted hydraulic roller camshaft profiles.

We will be testing a set of the axle oiling lifters and our newest boost profile in the next couple weeks.

If you have any questions please give us a call or drop us an email.
Nice to talk to you today Mark, I can't wait to get these in!!!
Thanks!