Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
I didn't say anything about needing custom pushrods with smaller holes. The lifter with edge orifice oiling is the restrictor itself.

You will need stiffer springs. Depends on what solid roller you go with. Most are going to need at least 170-180 lbs. on the seat or more, and 500+ open. Depends on the cam lobe. I setup all the heads at our shop, so with cam specs, I can suggest safe operating pressures for you.
10-4. I'll have to think about it.....sucks to have to fork up sooo much cash after I just got through calming the MRS. down over the previous spending on the motor.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I wish I would have gone solid the first go round.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GoatMan View Post
I am running comp titanium retainers, springs are comp 985-16's set up @ 1.80 installed height. Gave me a 146# seat @ 1.8 & a 358# open @ 1.22 I'm .07 from coil bind (1.150). Spring rate is 366 #/in.

Cam is a XR288; .5552 Intake, .576 Exhaust w/ my 1.6 roller rockers
So are u just wanting to run solids on this cam? If so I would call comp and see if u can, then go from there.

2017, 74 firebird -3600 lbs (all bests) 1.33 60 ft, 6.314@108.39 9.950@134.32
M/T 275/60 ET SS Drag Radial

2023,(Pontiac 505) 1.27 60 ft, 5.97@112.86, 9.48@139.31.... 275/60 Radial Pro's
Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Senior Chief

It seems a lot of people are having problems with roller hydraulic lifters. Do you think their was junk inside of the lifters when they were new? Do the solid roller lifters have the same issues?

I am thinking it might be safer to run flat tappet....less parts involved...less to go wrong.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
It seems a lot of people are having problems with roller hydraulic lifters.
Yes, and this issue has be going on for a while with a lot of users reporting ticking noises with them and now this. But it was also stated in your thread "Why are roller cams better than flat tappet?" that a lot of people are reporting wiped cam lobes with flat tappets as well. So, I guess its pick your poison.

However, some very knowledgeable people, whose opinion I respect commented on the superiority of a roller in your thread. Its going to be a while before I do my swap, but I am going with a roller.

Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; Sniper Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry
Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow, that plain sucks. My comp hyd lifters were ordered 10/2012. I had two of them not pump up early on, like within 100 mi. actually one gave up about 100 miles, got it replaced, then the other after another 100 miles. After the second one, Comp replaced the set and all has been good since. I drove it all last summer no problems! In working with the lifters I never saw any sign of metal debris coming out of them. I can't say it didn't happen but I didn't see it. You can't take those suckers apart as the bar rivet blocks the plunger.. Ya I tried after having the non pumpers, I wanted to see the inside and what was causing the problem, but I didn't know how to get in there without leaving evidence of tampering..., and since I was under the care of the Comp Warranty Dept, I didn't want to screw myself.

under direction from Comp I soaked them in Mineral Spirits. after that I shook them out real good (no sign of metal) then soaked them in oil so the plunger was up so the air would leave. aside from the two non pumper that revieled themselves early, I really can't complain! They sound good, performance is good for now. Jon

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Detroit manufacturers have been using roller hydraulic lifters since the early 80s, they're not noisy and don't throw the bearings out into the engine causing engine damage.

Why the aftermarket vendors can't make a lifter that's quiet as well as will run in a street engine without spitting the guts out before it reaches 5,000 miles is really beyond me. LS lifters can be reused on a HP cam with stiffer springs with no issues, also the roller lifters from the OE manufacturers and sealed power lifters, etc. are much cheaper and last much longer. My 05 GTO has 92,000 miles and the lifters are as quiet as when I bought it new. A whole set of LS sealed power roller lifters at Advance Auto would run $160.

In 1981-85 the 5.7 diesel engine had roller lifters and I've seen them last close to 200,000 miles.

Why the aftermarket vendors can't make a decent lifter for a decent price really baffles me.

One other thought is why it seems no aftermarket roller lifters kits offer rev kits any longer. For those that aren't familiar with that technology its a spring that sits on the top of the roller lifter and the other seats on the underside of the head on a piece of aluminum bar stock with seats machined into the aluminum for the top of the spring to seat on, the pushrod goes through the center of each spring. The valve springs don't have to be as stiff and the body of the lifter will bear some of the spring pressure from the rev kit as opposed to the hydraulic plunger assembly bearing all the spring pressure. Having split the spring pressure between the rev kit springs and the valve springs, and takes some of the load off of the rocker arms and pushrods.

I have an really old Crower solid roller for a Pontiac that has a rev kit and when I used it in a few race and street engines it worked perfectly.

I did a search on rev kits and it seems there that Howards cams and AFR still do offer kits, however the SBC is the only applications I see.

Link to AFR rev kits: https://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=75

http://howardscams.com/index.php/rev-kits

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This scenario is all to common.

It is a disappointing situation when the manufacturer can simply have no liability but they send you a replacement piece.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
...Why the aftermarket vendors can't make a decent lifter for a decent price really baffles me...
I went thru 3 sets of lifters till I installed solid Crowers. One nice thing about being a vendor is other vendors will talk to you in detail. What they say is the issue here is several layers of middlemen and the extreme arrogance of the manufacturer (Morel). Morel simply does not care that their retail product is crap - they figure us for chumps. What does get their attention is huge contracts from GM, Ford etc.; those companies will crush them like bugs if the product fails (when was the last time you heard of a factory roller lifter failing?).

I researched using GM LS lifters in a Pontiac block; it could be done if:

1. You use a low lift cam (under 0.500")
2. Machined a counterbore on the top of the lifter bore to use a custom dog-bone to keep the lifters from turning. This
dog-bone would be held in place by a tin spider like the 87-95 SBC piece.

Personally, if I blow up the 440 I am running now I will not build another Pontiac - for a little more than the roller cam/lifter cost I can toss in a LS and not have to deal with this idiocy...

Old 02-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So far I have had 2 engines built with Comp Hyd roller lifters with no issue.Going to use them also in the 366 NASCAR RA V engine.Hope my luck holds.Tom

Old 02-24-2014, 04:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hyd Roller Lifters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
So far I have had 2 engines built with Comp Hyd roller lifters with no issue.Going to use them also in the 366 NASCAR RA V engine.Hope my luck holds.Tom
Call Mark at Luhn Performance and order your hyd rollers from him, problem solved.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run the Isky bushing-style solid roller. I went with the Isky simply because they had been out the longest of the bushing-style rollers. Crower makes them and I believe Comp is just starting to.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I run the Isky bushing-style solid roller. I went with the Isky simply because they had been out the longest of the bushing-style rollers. Crower makes them and I believe Comp is just starting to.
Where did you get them?

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Williams View Post
Call Mark at Luhn Performance and order your hyd rollers from him, problem solved.
Done. Mark is a hellva nice guy. I cant wait to get them in!! I found three more metering valves had failed in the other lifters....just can't chance it with this motor. Too much $$$ invested to roll the dice with Comp's replacements.

Be on the lookout for a set of 857s on an Ebay near you. LOL

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...4&postcount=22

Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM

What brand and type are the new ones?

Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; Sniper Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry
Old 02-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmachota78 View Post
Where did you get them?
PPR back when Ace was still running it.