Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry57pont View Post
i know its not a 70 year sitcker, but i thought it looks cool- ryan
I dig it!

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
'64 Lemans Convertible, Tremec TKO600
Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Senior Chief

I like that one, too. It qualifies because #1, it's obvious to most anyone that it's not trying to masquerade as a factory sticker, and #2 it's based on a Pontiac design.

Chris

We are building a bad-ass, hot-looking, hot-running Pontiac street machine.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

steved loves these. he puts them on all of his cars.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought they were cool when I was younger but not any more. Every time I see one now at a show I kinda roll my eyes.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 PM

Default A Beginner's View

Hi,

I am new to the forum and first time GTO owner (I had a 69 tempest convertible in high school). This forum has been a great resource for information as I am working on details on my GTO.

I guess I am one of these guys you would roll your eyes at if you saw my car. I have loved the GTO's for as long as I can remember and would have nothing else. The GTO I purchased was "restored" by an old timer that owned GTO's forever. He even drove off in one when he was married. He did a great job with the main structure and quality of the restore, but modified it in his taste. My taste is more towards it looking original for the most part. I have been working on changing the modifications as time and budget allow (being a remodeler in this economy hasn't helped). I also want to drive it, so I try to fix only small areas at a time so I can get everything back together and go for a drive as the weather permits.

I have got to say, some of the replies on this thread seem offensive and closed minded. I have yet to take my GTO to a show (and based on the replies here I don't think I should.) Although the previous owner has received many awards, (50 plus) in a modified class for this car where he lives in Detroit, by no means would I take credit for his work. In fact, I would not show it without a plaque giving him credit for the restoration. If I was at a show and an experienced GTO expert walked up and talked to me, they soon would see that I am eager to learn as much as I could about these great cars.

As a highly experienced and accomplished remodeler, I have walked into many peoples homes to see DIY projects with the kind of workmanship that would make me fire the person who did it if they worked for me. However, even though some of the things I see make me giggle to myself (upside-down crown molding, door casing used for base trim....) I respect them for having made the effort to better their homes. I would only give them advice if asked; because there is no reason to make them feel bad about something they are proud to have done themselves and even though the finished product isn’t something I find acceptable, I have to respect the effort. There have been several people that have mentioned things about my car that they would change to get it back to the original look. I plan on eventually doing every change mentioned because it was sound advice on things that I had no idea were not 100% stock. The point is, I appreciated that they had greater knowledge than I did and that they were willing to share that knowledge with me. So far, other than having the opportunity to own my dream car, the spirit of community, where one owner is always willing to give advice or help to another GTO owner, has been one of greatest things I experienced.

The sticker is coming off my air cleaner today. That is something I might not have ever known had I not seen on this forum.

Thanks again for all of the great advice. I hope to be able to tap you guys for expert information in the future if I run into a problem.

Dave

Old 01-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA 6T9-GTO View Post
I guess I am one of these guys you would roll your eyes at if you saw my car.

The sticker is coming off my air cleaner today. That is something I might not have ever known had I not seen on this forum.

Thanks again for all of the great advice. I hope to be able to tap you guys for expert information in the future if I run into a problem.

Dave
Welcome aboard Dave! Always glad to help anyway we can. Just a note about your DIYer analogy. The problem most of us have with this mod is that it's from another maker, not that it reflects the quality of the restoration. It is viewed the same as, although not nearly as bad as, installing a chev engine in a classic Pontiac. If the detail work was lacking, or the body gaps way off, we wouldn't walk away shaking our heads. For the most part, we're not snobs. Remember, you have found the "locker room" here, tongue-in-cheek is the norm...

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good post, Dave. People here are sometimes a little harsh, and we all know it so please don't take anything too hard. Everyone "gets it" at one time or another.

If you come to the Triad area of N.C., it would be good to meet you.

Michael

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome.Just keep in mind that some questions/answers such as this thread are based more on personal likings or opinions rather than what is right or wrong.The main thing is that you enjoy your car,do what you like to it,not what you think others will like or approve of.Now go take that sticker off!Lol.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well said Dave....

FWIW.... I have one on my 68 GTO because I know it aggravates the hell out of the snobs. Was on there when I got it & will be on there when I sell it...

71 won't have one because I'm building it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amotor1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	153373  

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
Well said Dave....

FWIW.... I have one on my 68 GTO because I know it aggravates the hell out of the snobs.
Well thought out, drop a small block chev in your other car, that'll really piss off the snobs! Same logic, right?

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure everyone on this post has only painted their cars pontiac colors.

The point is, it's my car, my choice. No I wouldn't put a chevy engine in my car, nor would I put a chevy or buick sticker on my pontiac... but these are after market products with the pontiac emblem and motor size. They dress up the black lid a little.

The car is a driver, not concourse. Not much different than putting a set of aftermarket wheels, or a Grant steering wheel on a car.. what does anybody give a crap about what is on my air cleaner... If you chose to not talk to me at a cruise in because of that, then I am probably better off for it...

Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Paul's point is valid. You stated that you only did it to aggravate 'snobs'. If aggravating certain people is truly your sole reason for keeping it, why not do it to your other car, put a Chevy engine in, etc., etc.
I believe that's the point of his sarcasm...Doing something like that solely to aggravate certain people.
By the way, I certainly don't think that expressing a subjective opinion on what looks good and what doesn't on these cars makes us all snobs. Just slightly opinionated.
As a matter of fact, on the subject of original colors.... I really don't like seeing certain colors on these cars. Bright yellows, candied colors, etc., comes to mind. It just looks wrong to me.
Just an opinion though. Obviously, your car, your choice. Not everybody is going to like the same things...

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-04-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm sure everyone on this post has only painted their cars pontiac colors.

The point is, it's my car, my choice. No I wouldn't put a chevy engine in my car, nor would I put a chevy or buick sticker on my pontiac... but these are after market products with the pontiac emblem and motor size. They dress up the black lid a little.

The car is a driver, not concourse. Not much different than putting a set of aftermarket wheels, or a Grant steering wheel on a car.. what does anybody give a crap about what is on my air cleaner... If you chose to not talk to me at a cruise in because of that, then I am probably better off for it...
Look, if you like the Buick style sticker on your car that's fine. Those of us that replied here obviously don't care for them. No one is trying to force anyone into changing their minds.

To address your first remark, No I have never painted anything other than a Pontiac color since 1994.

Your analogy about the aftermarket parts is murky, Chevy ralleys are available aftermarket with Pontiac center caps. To me they are still chevy ralleys, just as those stickers are still Buick stickers. That's just my view. For the record, I think if you had the propper Chrome air cleaner lid on the car, it wouldn't need any dressing up.

This is not a personal attack, just differing opinions, that's all!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 01-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

last post on the topic... you have a new guy posting who bought a car with the sticker, probably liked it. Then he reads this post and says he'll remove it, not because he doesn't like it, but because of peer pressure.

Comparing a motor, or rims for that matter, to a $4.00 sticker is a little extreme, as is the reaction in this post to the sticker.. It doesn't say buick on the sticker, it says pontiac... Maybe not appropriate on a 100 point car, but certainly okay for a guy with a driver who likes the look... If you judge the car & it's owner based on a $4.00 sticker under the hood, you don't do justice to this hobby... Thats your problem, not mine.

As far as the "Proper Chrome Air Cleaner", If I had it and about $20,000 worth of other parts, it would be a show car, not a driver. It is a dual snorkel air cleaner so it is the wrong part anyway..but again, I like the look.

Greg... I didn't say that was the only reason for keeping the sticker, just one of the reasons.
and
Your right Paul. I am not trying to make this personal .. I have never felt the need to follow the crowd, and at times, that has cost me...

Last edited by lazlo; 01-04-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an idea. Maybe someone (like The Boss) could make the same style sticker without the dash and carb size. Instead of the Buick-inspired 400-4, it could be just plain old 400. I think that would look OK, without looking silly. You could have 350, 400, 421, 428, 455 and the 400 Ram Air, 455 Ram Air, etc but no goofy -2 or -4. It would be unique enough to make everyone happy. I will try to photoshop one, or if anyone else is a photoshop wiz maybe they can help. What do you guys think?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the reason I don't care for the Buick style decal. They're just like the ones for your Pontiac except for the tri-shields. Pretty easy to see where the idea came from.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	buick.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	153440  

Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejudge69 View Post
I have an idea. Maybe someone (like The Boss) could make the same style sticker without the dash and carb size. Instead of the Buick-inspired 400-4, it could be just plain old 400. I think that would look OK, without looking silly. You could have 350, 400, 421, 428, 455 and the 400 Ram Air, 455 Ram Air, etc but no goofy -2 or -4. It would be unique enough to make everyone happy. I will try to photoshop one, or if anyone else is a photoshop wiz maybe they can help. What do you guys think?
That would be a great alternative! I would change more though, the size, etc. Make them more like the 455 HO stickers! And definately leave off the -4!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 01-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kinda cheesy, but you get the idea
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
last post on the topic... you have a new guy posting who bought a car with the sticker, probably liked it. Then he reads this post and says he'll remove it, not because he doesn't like it, but because of peer pressure.

Comparing a motor, or rims for that matter, to a $4.00 sticker is a little extreme, as is the reaction in this post to the sticker.. It doesn't say buick on the sticker, it says pontiac... Maybe not appropriate on a 100 point car, but certainly okay for a guy with a driver who likes the look... If you judge the car & it's owner based on a $4.00 sticker under the hood, you don't do justice to this hobby... Thats your problem, not mine.

As far as the "Proper Chrome Air Cleaner", If I had it and about $20,000 worth of other parts, it would be a show car, not a driver. It is a dual snorkel air cleaner so it is the wrong part anyway..but again, I like the look.

Greg... I didn't say that was the only reason for keeping the sticker, just one of the reasons.
and
Your right Paul. I am not trying to make this personal .. I have never felt the need to follow the crowd, and at times, that has cost me...
No problem with owners using the stickers IF that is what they like and what they want. HOWEVER, 99% of these guys have them on there because they think they are correct; they have seen them on Ebay cars, etc. and think they are supposed to be on there. That is my beef with them. Personally, I think they look waaayy out of place on an otherwise stock engine compartment.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 AM

Default Clarification

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I have been on vacation, and took some time to work on the hideaways. They are working! I still need to do the bushings, add the backup tank, and replace the vacuum lines in the hopes that they will move a little more in unison.

I did not say I would remove the sticker due to peer pressure. I removed it because until I read this thread I had no idea that it was a Buick thing. That is the same reason I will be lowering the rear, (it was jacked up with heavy duty springs) painting the rear sway bar and yoke cover black, not the color of the car. I want my car to represent a classic GTO with some class but with some reasonable mods.

Please re-read my post. I was mostly commenting on the idea of not talking to someone purely because they had an incorrect sticker on their air cleaner. I can understand walking away shortly after arriving if they are someone that is not interested in even attempting to represent GTO’s with class or is just an a-hole. This does not mean it has to have an exact original paint color, engine parts and what not, but pink with green flames might be a stretch. It’s not my car so I could care less.

I like the current color of mine, carousel red, without the black added to the mix. It is a real eye catcher. However, I love the original color, warwick blue! That may be the way I go in a bunch of years, when it is time to paint it. I will not however be going with the original interior and top colors…..triple blue. I have seen a few and it is not bad looking just not my preference. I am still trying to figure out if a 69 could possibly come with a his and hers shifter. The previous owner was confident in saying that it came with it. Maybe it did to him but not from the dealer. Is it possible if it was built late in 68 or early in 69, that they had some remaining stock that they used up? The build sheet has a “console” line item but I don’t think that clears anything up.

I hope this helps you all understand the point of my post. I just love the GTO’s and feel so lucky to have one to maintain and enjoy!

I attached a picture of the raised rear and painted under body parts for your viewing pleasure.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gto from behind.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	153536