Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-06-2000, 11:43 PM

BOLTS?

Old 05-06-2000, 11:43 PM

BOLTS?

Old 05-08-2000, 06:40 AM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Do you NEED to re-torque the gaskets?Depends on the brand.But i would have checked the torque after a few runs,then periodically after that."Brand" headgaskets are usually "predictable"(to an extent).

Old 05-08-2000, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boykoman,

My experience has been this on re-torquing of head bolts/stud nuts. When I have used the Felpro 1014 head gaskets they never needed a re-torque. This was determined by reapplied torque to the fastners and no movement of the fasteners. When using the Felpro's there was no movement of the fastner which indicates no torque loss. Loss of torque is usually due to either a fastner that has stretched after initial torque, or the gasket has lost it's squeeze due to further compression after initial torque. The Felpro 1014 head gaskets are the best I have used as far as not requiring a re-torque. Other gaskets I have used did require re-torque 24 hours after initial torque, after initial engine run, and again after a brief break in period. Guess which gaskets I use? Also I have had head gasket leakage using other brands but never with the felpro 1014.

Tim Corcoran

Old 05-08-2000, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your using the stock type head gaskets. I re-torque them after the motor has run long enough to seat the rings and break in the cam ( I let the motor cold for about 45 minutes then re-torque )Your not surpose to have to re-torque some of the FelPro ones, but I check them any way. If your using a grade 8 bolt" gold anodize ones ( which I don't recommend anyone using, the bolts stretch ) I re-torque even using Pontiac stock head bolts. Then I check them after 4-5 passes, on a fresh motor. If you have 50 passes I would re-torque.

[This message has been edited by Gach (edited 05-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gach (edited 05-08-2000).]

Old 05-08-2000, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you re-torque your head gasket should you not loosen your bolts/studs just a tad? What about 'breakaway torque'? Wouldn't your torque applied have to be greater than the original torque specs to break the fastener loose. I remember an article about this and they said to mark your head and your nut then loosen and re-torque. I tried this on my last motor and when I re-torqued the nut it passed the mark on the head. This to me would prove that re-torqueing works, no? Also, I read in the Felpro Cat. that the Perma Torque (1014) gasket does not need to be re-torqued in a mild application but they recommend you re-torque for performance use. Be kind I'm Canadian...Eric

Old 05-08-2000, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GTO, I surpose you could due it that way, although I never have. The proper way is to put oil on the threads, and under the washer before installing the head bolts. When ever I've disassemble a motor done this way, there has always been oil in both places, the oil is need to get the proper torque spec.'s. This is how I always check mine, I set the torque wrench at the proper torque spec.'s and then proceed checking them in the same torque sequence the heads were originally torque at.

Old 05-12-2000, 09:06 PM

Thanks Guys!!!!