THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New Registration Day

There has been a small gap in my registration and insurance.

Last time was June 1984.

Just got the GTO registered for the first time since then. Unfortunately it's in NY state. So, they confiscated my beautiful embossed TN title and gave me a little flimsy piece of green paper, a transferable registration. Which you can't leave in the car or someone can just sign it over to themselves and own your car.

I had to spend 20 minutes showing that I paid sales tax on the car in TN in 1976 ... luckily I had the original transfer paperwork from when I bought the car from my high school art teacher. Can't imagine what would have had to be done if I didn't have that paperwork. But I had a TN state registration application form that showed I paid tax on the $600 purchase price (was actually $1100).

So ... I can legally drive it now. Strange feeling. Going to drive it a half mile down the road, bring it back, check it over, do the same again, then drive it a couple miles down the road and back, then down the mountain and back ... and I'll call it good if no problems show up.

Next I'll get the AC sorted out, the trunk detailing done, some more buffing ... and I think she's done.

Hopefully a few of you will get to see it on the first annual Pontiac Picnic in West TN. Having fescue seeded on the 16 acre parking area spring of 2024, hope to have the whole property ready by Sept. of 2025.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:14 AM
Senior Chief

Smile

If you seed it, they will come. :-) Glad you were able to get the paperwork sorted without any additional out of pocket ‘fees’. Here in CA my GTO is the cheapest vehicle I have to pay registration for, even less than our 2002 Saturn sedan. Not sure if it’s because I’ve owned the GTO longer or paid less for it when I bought it.

The Following User Says Thank You to will slow gto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Would it have been easier to register it in Tennessee since you have an address there now?

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats! Been a long time coming. I bet you're looking forward to getting some seat time and some miles under those tires.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Outstanding!

That must be really exciting after all you've done to achieve your dreams.

Nicely done.

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Senior Chief

That’s awesome! Out for a drive after nearly 40 years. Congrats!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
Would it have been easier to register it in Tennessee since you have an address there now?
I really, really wanted to do that. But having a NY drivers license and technically a NY place of residence, between insurance and registration I'd have to tell more fibs than I was comfortable with.

When I brought the car to NY I was still in the military which allowed to me to have a drivers license, registration and insurance all in different states if I wanted to. The four years I drove it in NY I kept my registration in TN, but had a NY drivers license and insurance.

Old 07-20-2023, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post

Next I'll get the AC sorted out, the trunk detailing done, some more buffing ... and I think she's done.
Congratulations...but don't kid yourself... 😂

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Congratulations...but don't kid yourself... 😂
Yep, I keep thinking the same thing. When I was putting on the license plates I was saying to myself ... I know these aren't the right screws, I need to get the correct screws ... add that to a long list of little things that need to be done, or re-done.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:37 AM
Suspended

I feel you and your situation, It's those little details that can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of the car. It will be better to take your time to get those correct screws, it's worth it for a clean and polished finish. Happy modding.

Old 07-22-2023, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I consider those types of things the stuff you can do while you're driving it. I know I was ready to get mine on the road after a 10-year "refresh". I have chosen to do a number of projects since then because I can just take it off the road for a week or whatever it takes to do whatever it is I want to do.
Go ahead and get it on the road!

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post: