Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-15-2000, 02:33 AM
Senior Chief

May be a question I know the answer to already. Trying to come up with the money for rebuild after holidays and the cost of it is getting quite scary. Eagle rods, Ross pistons, all adding up quick. Was wondering What kind of crank would be suited for street/strip use without breaking the bank. Never heard of one actually coming apart. Could I get by with stock crank replacement kit or would that be asking for trouble after putting so much into it already?
Thanks...Bob (newbie)

Old 12-15-2000, 02:33 AM
Senior Chief

May be a question I know the answer to already. Trying to come up with the money for rebuild after holidays and the cost of it is getting quite scary. Eagle rods, Ross pistons, all adding up quick. Was wondering What kind of crank would be suited for street/strip use without breaking the bank. Never heard of one actually coming apart. Could I get by with stock crank replacement kit or would that be asking for trouble after putting so much into it already?
Thanks...Bob (newbie)

Old 12-15-2000, 04:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello Bob,

That is the combo I'm currently runnin' in my 412 poncho.

The stock crank (nodular) type is what i'm running,around 460hp + 250hp nitrous....

I don't care for a kit' crank,1st install the main bearings and torque the bolts to spec. Then have your machinist measure the main bearings size and have the crank cut to the clearence you specify......

This is the only way to O-in on the correct clearance........

By the way,I spin mine to 6200rpm W/O nos,and 5800rpm with......

The lower weight of the pistons and rods reduces the stress on the crank,its a great combo for real street strip apps. And should be dam near bullet proof......
http://photo.starblvd.net/zanko20
Good Luck,KS out [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by KS circutguy (edited 12-15-2000).]

Old 12-15-2000, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What size engine????

Old 12-15-2000, 07:34 PM
Senior Chief

400 dude. With 350 tranny

Old 12-16-2000, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac armasteel and nodular crankshafts are fine for serious high performance use. I have seen a few failures with the later precision cast cranks made in the mid to late 70's. I personally avoid the later stuff but know lots of folks who use them with great success.

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-16-2000, 09:26 AM
On Vacation

I have yet to see a stock cast crank break in a Pontiac engine- they're pretty darn beefy and strong. Seems like the rod's the weak point, any force that could break a crank would have to be pretty darn wicked.
I've inspected 400, 428, 455 motors that threw rods, and the crank actually looked reuseable if cut heavy to cleanup, but were scrapped for fear of being bent. Use the stock 400 crank with confidence- I've personally revved them to 7000, never hurt one.