67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Senior Chief

Default AC car Heater core HELP

what a PITA!

Did a lot of reading and most stuff is for non AC cars.

FYI, Found an excellent FGF site about 67-69 AC:
http://firstgenfirebird.org/forums/u...=208025&page=2

But, I think I NEED to take off the hood and fender to get to the three heater core bolts on the firewall side. Plus that would give me FULL access to the AC parts.

I did not want to get that involved right now as the driving season approaches. PLEASE tell me I DONT have to remove the hood and fender to get the heater core out for a 68 with bird with air....

Old 04-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If all you want to do is replace the heater core, you only (I say only but it's not that easy) have to remove the inner box which is held to the firewall with screws from the inside of the car and a few nuts from outside. The lower heater hose is a pain too.

If you want to access the blower motor, then you have to remove the fender. I've seen some people cutting the inner fender to make some sort of an access door. I would not do it but I've seen it quite a few times.

What is it exactly that you want to do ?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Senior Chief

I only want to replace the heater core at this time. You now how it goes, one small project leads to a whole engine compartment detail.

Really, just want to do the heater core now.

The lower hose is daunting. I can cut off the old one, but man, how the heck can I get the new one attached?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Much easier to do with the fender off. But I have also just taken the inner fender out and left the fender on the car. But still are a bunch of bolts to remove as well as battery tray and a fight to drop out the inner fender.
If you can get the heater box out from inside you can put a new heater core in and maybe attach the hose and slip it thru from the inside.
This is what you have to deal we it on an AC car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150401_200537.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	394396  

Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 AM
Senior Chief

that picture helps a lot, as I realize I can NOT get to the lower passenger-side-most stud below the lower heater core inlet with the fender on. The other 2 that hold the core in are EZ and already loosened. That last one may be impossible.
I guess the lower fender will have to be loosened- up.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

Default You should remove the passenger fender

It makes the task easier by allowing access to the hoses and fasteners. A person will think about using shortcuts to complete the task and end up taking additional time because parts are in the way.

The heater core pipes are long and easy to bend when trying to work heater hoses loose. The pipes could then develop a crack where they were soldered to the core and you have just created the exact problem that you may have been attempting to fix.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be done carefully by cutting the hose where it is attached to the heater core pipes and applying soap to slip the hose back onto the new core with ease, I just think that having room to work carefully is more important that taking a chance.

You may also have better access to remove the inner box as well.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you remove the inner fender only by loosening the outer?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Senior Chief

I think so. lotsa bolts/ hardware to loosen. Beats pulling off the hood too I guess. But as said above, sometimes taking the "shortcuts" takes more time. I will try to re tackle this project over this weekend.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I Just did this. Well really I am still doing it. I did end up removing the hood and fender. I tried to get the inner fender out and could just not get it manuvered correctly to get out. This job is much more difficult due to the length of the inner fender. You might be able to just remove the lower piece of the front fender to give more room to get the inner fender out. I had not tried that before taking everything apart. Of course it will be very easy for me to remove the engine now.
As a side note, there are 2 different heater cores for a/c equipped vehicles. Measure the distance between the in and out tube on the core. There is only about a 1/4" difference. Everybody has the narrow unit. Our sponsor had a notation in their catalog about this. I had to have mine recored.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Senior Chief

Thats what I was afraid of. maybe I will wait until next off season. The winter season was so cold and long I cant wait to get out and drive. Who needs heat and AC?
You know how this goes, pull the hood/ fender; then the engine/trans out for re gasketing painting and detailing. Maybe a new cam, too?

Haha

Old 04-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default I would not spend time removing inside and not outside

The outside fender removal should be enough effort to attend to heater core task.

I would compare the attempt of removing inner fender while leaving outer fender attached to taking off socks with shoes still on and tied.

This is only my opinion and may not be so difficult when performed by someone else.