Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac462 View Post
This particular pump was used on a race car for LESS than 1 year. !
Remember posting this?

02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Pontiac462
Chief Ponti-yacker Join Date: Jan 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. Each has lasted just over a year.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We haven't had this much activity here since the last butter block thread.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:11 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

Did you mean Butter Bean?

:popcorn:

Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved400 View Post
Did you mean Butter Bean?

:popcorn:

Steve400 Excellent you made me laugh out loud...........................

Old 07-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG View Post
Bill, as I posted on the other site you really dont wart to start back on this... You and Scott [our sales manager] had a conversation in which you asked us to quit posting about you which we did and now you want to try to keep putting lies out when things are not going your way on here. YOU clearly stated in the February thread on here which is in plain site to everyone to see that the pump had been on a car for over a year and now you keep telling the lie that it was under a year.... you know that point really is mute though as you were extended the courtesy of warranty. Now here are the facts that you cannot deny....

[1] The pump WAS over a year old by your own admission on this board.

[2] YOU were given an estimate up front and told us to fix it.

[3] You were also given the option to have us stop the shipment after you started complaining and have us pull the new parts and send it back to you at no charge.

[4] You didn't even start posting until after the pump was already in route to you.

[5] You told Jeff you bought the pump used for 250.00 from a buddy and we DID know that prior to the repair.

[6] The post says if ALL it needs is a reseal and you want to keep trying to twist that around. Once again you already knew if it needed more there would be additional charges from the past dealings you mentioned in the February thread. Who do you think you are fooling here?

and lastly.......the 280's are not for street use and continuous duty for which you are trying to use them. With the amount of driving you do with your car I am suprised the other one has stood up as they were not built for that. You are using the wrong pump for the application. Once again not our fault.

Now... I was man enough to quit posting when you asked us to and will do so again...the choice is yours. As you posted earlier "end of story" . Boths sides stories are on here and I think most have formed an opinion by now anyway.

Adam, Adam, Adam......
1) Both pumps were "just over a year old" when I replied to the thread.....but both were already leaking BEFORE the year was up. I just hadn't sent either one back for repair. It doesn't matter cause I wasn't trying to get it repaired under warranty, I just wanted to get it repaired.

2) I was given an estimate up front...$25 from you!!! Then Was told $105 from Jeff. Then had discussions and "gave in" just because I wasn't gonna pay $20 shipping it to you and $20 for you to ship it back to me unrepaired. You had me over a barrel and I felt like it was my only option. True, I could have had you send it back unrepaired but why waste $40 and haver the same junk I had before.

3) See above for my same reply

4) Right. Why would I post BEFORE the pump was sent back? I was giving you guys the opportunity to make it right BEFORE I posted my dealings with you. You chose not to stand by your comment. I chose to let people know.

5) True. You are right. Yep. And???????? What's your point? I never tried to hide it. My comment about you guys not knowing anything about it's history was a fact. You guys quted $25 and then $105 to me BEFORE you knew I was a second owner. How would you know otherwise? I didn't say it to anyone until Jef told me the price. This doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things anyway.

6) The post DID NOT SAY "if ALL it needs is a seal kit". Here it is UNEDITED:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac462
Not a knock on BG directly. I have just had bad experiences in the past when I have sent items back to the manufacturer to be repaired. I sent 3 MSD units back for repair. They said it would be 1-2 weeks. 3 weeks later I check on them and they can't find one of the units. After a big fiasco they ended up giving me a new unit but it was a bad experience. I sent a converter back to be tightened up. Same thing.....lost the converter. 4 weeks and too many phone calls. It's just a hassle. That's why if I can do something myself, I prefer to do that.

I rebuilt Holley blue pumps all the time for myself and others. Never had an issue. For $75 I didn't expect much from those pumps but they did well for the money. When I pay $300+ for a pump, I expect more. I haven't had good results from either BG280 pump I've bought. Each has lasted just over a year. I bought the second one just because I didn't want to send the first one back to get repaired. Now I have two leaking pumps. Why would I send them back and pay $75-150 for each to be repaired plus shipping and have them last a year again? Just doesn't make sense. I'll be switching to something else.

If it is just a leak it runs 25.00 to reseal them plus the shipping.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was JUST a leak.

THE PUMP THAT WAS RETURNED WAS USED FOR DRAG RACING ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT PART OF THAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?????? I know that the pump that is on the car is not being used properly. I know that. I understand. Point taken. Got it.

Now YOU need to get the point of YOU said $25 to fix the leak.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG View Post
Actually I had thought this had been resolved until I read Bill's new post. Scott who is our sales manager is originally from the same area as Bill and they know some of the same people up there. Bill apparently went into a shop up there badmouthing Scott personally to a friend of Scott's as well as BG yet Scott was not even aware of or involved with Bill's pump being here. Scott recv a phone call with these details to which he called Bill personally and Bill stated that if we would quit posting about him and chasing him around the internet that he would quit posting about us as well. He was also given the opportunity at that time to have the pump shipment turned around and brought back to us where we would remove the new parts and return it to Bill in the same shape it was sent in to which Bill declined. The pump had already left prior to Bill starting all these threads so his accusations that we would sabotage his pump are totally unfounded and without any merit. The ball is back in Bill's court and we will abide by his original agreement with Scott if he will but we will not let him continue to bash us without stepping up to defend ourselves in the matter.
Adam.......This is another example you you getting the story all confused....or just twisting it to tell lies. I did talk to Scott. I do know the same people that Scott knows. I told one of our mutual friends that Scott has worked for two POS companies....Speed Unlimited and Barry Grant. I did say Barry Grant as a company sucks. I TOLD SCOTT DIRECTLY that I never said anything about Scott personally, just the company. Why would I say anything personal about Scott.....He had NOTHING to do with it. Scott believed me and we moved on. I can't help it that our mutual friend listened my my ranting and thought it was funny and called Scott to tell him that I was fired up.

I was done with all this......right up until you posted the same LIE about $25 to fix a pump again!!!!! You can choose to twist this however you want. I won't deal with Barry Grant for ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. I hope everyone else uses caution when dealing with Barry Grant. You have come on here and other forums to "straighten out issues" and that is admirable. Personally I think you are trying to put a band-aid on a hemorrage. You have seen the replies on other "racer" boards and I'm not the only one with issues. This board is more or less a mix of street/show and bracket racers. The marketshare that Barry Grant has in fuel pumps has dropped DRASTICALLY. That is why you guys cleared house. Good luck maintaining the balance of customers you have.

Have a nice day.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

Bill, We are not just going to patch it up and send it back with just a seal when you thought it was just a leak. We had no reason to put parts in it that it didn't need and I think the customer mentality of well just put a seal in it and it will be fine has already been covered in this thread . You are the one wanting to twist words but I think everyone else that has read both the threads on here fully understand if it needs more it costs more....simple principle Bill.
Bill, the first call from Scott's friend was on speaker and both Scott and myself heard what you said about him and I was there when Scott called you as well and heard him tell you several times what he was told you said and you kept denying it. Scott's friend has no dog in this fight so I see no reason for him to lie about it.
Now in one of your other posts you like to throw around the word ASSume a lot but look who is doing it now when you speak of why we cleaned house. Please have your facts right as I dont go posting slanderous stuff about the industrial company you work for. Barry cleaned house in the tech department because it got to the point where there was very little customer service. Customers were not getting their calls returned,emails were not being answered,tech support lines were tied up for 30-45 minutes at a time and longer because the only part of the department was taking calls and customers parts were laying around and not being looked at on a timely basis.We have worked hard to correct these issues and improve daily which was evidenced by the fact that Barry himself worked an event this weekend with thousands and only had 5 or 6 people come up with issues and most of them occured a year ago or longer.You mention the racer board but fuel pumps are only a small part of our business compared to the carburetor and induction packages and that is just one board. We have good rapport on most of the boards we post on and on those we dont will still continue to help those we can.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com

Last edited by Tech @ BG; 07-25-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
6) The post DID NOT SAY "if ALL it needs is a seal kit". .
Bill, please dont add words when you post something I supposedly said as I have only directly cut and posted your direct statements . Nowhere do I use the words "seal kit" as we do not offer a kit. The pump gets resealed . My exact words as seen in the unedited post you quoted are ..."If it is just a leak it runs 25.00 to reseal them plus the shipping.
__________________" once again we see the if it is JUST a leak but it wasn't.

I'm done if you are but the decision is yours. If you want to continue I'll be glad to get Scott to post on Monday when I am back at work as I was present for both calls.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
P-Dude, the whole isue was that it was posted on this board that it was $25 to fix the pump if it was leaking. It didn't say on the specific thread i referenced that it was $25 "unless we find something else wrong". It said $25 to fix the leak. ... But a representative of their company got on the board and said, "It will cost $25 to fix the leak".
none of the underlined above is accurate. when you re-word what is written it can change the meaning.

in your mind, you heard what you wanted to hear.

by your own post, here's what was written. note the key words are underlined and bolded in red.

you can't re-arrange the words or paraphrase it to suit your wishes, it's meaning is very clear.

Quote:

Your reply:

if it is just a leak it runs 25.00 to reseal them plus the shipping.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It may be time to offer customers basic "rebuild" and/or seal kits for these pumps. If you have really high numbers of them out there, the parts sales alone will be worth the effort.

Of course there are always concerns with untrained folks rebuilding these sorts of things, but there really are some pretty sharp folks out there, and fuel pumps are a relatively simple/basic item without a lot of moving parts.

Having to send them back for a seal leak takes many race cars out of service. Not everyone can affort one or two back-up fuel pumps in the tool box. Just something to consider?......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff. I think Barry answered your questions on this link. I can't copy it because it's an in your face statement. But basically lays it on the line. Have to agree with him on most of what he says.

Here's what happens when you send a customer a seal kit. They install it and then fire it up. 10 minutes later it locks & burns up and BG is to blame because now they spent money for a seal and the pump is fubar'd. If they woulda sent it to him they coulda checked it out, fixed it before the damage was done.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=68154

Last edited by PONTIAC DUDE; 07-28-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty lengthy read, sounds like someone pushed the right button(s), and got quite a response out of him. Sounds a lot like some guy that used to visit these boards, if ya know who I mean?

In any case, guess we woln't be seeing any seal kits marketed anytime soon!

It may be time to train a few of us as depot level service facilities...hint, hint. I can rebuild the most complex automatic transmission(s) currently in service, pretty sure a fuel pump rebuild would be within reach.

I would imagine that this may be a case of the few making it bad for the many. Most of the crowd I race with are probably better at rebuilding alternators, starters, transmissions, engines and fuel pumps than most trained technicians. In Barry's defense, I know just as many folks who if you give them a bowling ball, and lock them up in a room for an hour, they will either have sex with it or break it!!!!.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 PM

If BG had just put the seal in the pump and returned it, then it quit working the customer would have been ticked, From what I read they did just what they should have when they recieved the pump back, inspected it and contacted the owner with an estimate of the repair cost. BG did the right thing.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 PM

I was going to stay out of this thread as I've not done business With B/G for years.

I will say their Cusstomer service,or lack thereof is why I don't / won't. It must've improved some for a rep to post here tho.

In Keefer's link, that attitude is what both I and my customer experienced first hand.

Mike

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post

It may be time to train a few of us as depot level service facilities...hint, hint. I can rebuild the most complex automatic transmission(s) currently in service, pretty sure a fuel pump rebuild would be within reach.

Cliff
I suspect their customer service rating would improve if they did this.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mods pls. lock this thread...........

Both sides' positions have been thoroughly presented and an important aftermarket vendor's reputation is @ stake over $80 :rolleyes:.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BG did the right thing. Customer is not always right.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Customer is not always right.
:eek::eek::eek:

Depending on who they are?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know about everyone else but ... unless I know one of the parties directly involved in one of these threads I usually reserve judgment on who is really at fault. I do think businesses in this industry probably put up with more crap than most other businesses. You can really drag a company's name through the mud on a message board.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
:eek::eek::eek:

Depending on who they are?
But they took care of it didn't they ????????? and even cut costs out of warranty.

I didn't see a response from BG to the effect of............... Not my problem.