Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:05 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

Bill has two blowers and gets the hottest chics; I'd probably be in his corner right or wrong.

Still enjoying this thread.

:popcorn:

Old 07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In dealing with Tech BG I know what your going thru P462 my sympathy goes out to you.

With them you will have to write it off I believe.. Can you use a Robb Mech?

TechBG will turn it to your fault faster than a roller coaster with turn after turn.. They are pitful and getting a better name all the time. We will see thru the tuff economic times to come if they survive. I bet not!

Quote:
Still enjoying this thread.
It would be an enjoyable thread if we didnt have bucks tied up into bg-junk

Old 07-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hearing this makes me want to run right out and buy a six shooter setup and a BG fuel pump

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric65 View Post
It would be an enjoyable thread if we didnt have bucks tied up into bg-junk
Normally I would agree with you, but this is Super Bill you are talking about.

Ordering Sixpack and fuel pump right away.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I forget..........

Is it every month or every other month we gripe about BG?

Old 07-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWAGON View Post
Hearing this makes me want to run right out and buy a six shooter setup and a BG fuel pump
I have a customer that installed a Six shooter and loves it. No issues.

I have run the BG pumps. No issues. I currently run on my T/A a ProMag 500 w/filter as they didn't have one that big back in the 90's when i bought that one. I even have the 4 port BG regulator on my car since 2000.

Might i have troubles in the future. Possibly. But if it's man made that's gonna happen with any product.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a BG400 in one of my cars.... works good. It's a year old and no problems. It's not for continual use - race only/short run time. We use it as intended and installed it per the directions. Chit happens, parts fail... not fun I know but - chit happens. $100 or so bucks to fix a pump might not be so bad. What caused the leak? bad seal?

I use Aeromotive now on all my new stuff for other reasons. My one BG has been good so I have no complaints.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default great

Quote:
I have a customer that installed a Six shooter and loves it. No issues.

I have run the BG pumps. No issues. I currently run on my T/A a ProMag 500 w/filter as they didn't have one that big back in the 90's when i bought that one. I even have the 4 port BG regulator on my car since 2000.

Might i have troubles in the future. Possibly. But if it's man made that's gonna happen with any product.
Ken that is great and what I would expect from a manufacture of parts so on and so forth... Far and away most of BG products deliver what the customer expects and no one is doubting that in these BG threads ;) with some exceptions of quality control..

What is shown in these anti BG threads is lack of quality service when a customer had an issue. I dont think the impression should be that all their products are junk. In this thread and in another I am involved in its their customer support saying 1 thing and doing another .. This in fact is worse than the product being bad or having fault imho... This is a failure to fully address the customers issues....

Read close Bill's issue It being stated a price ---- then later finding a un-acceptable price for work done to him......not to mention the poor pump quality in not lasting longer and more problems after support works on it....

Most time BG support will get the topic vectored off into we said he said... You have to read close...
Thanks

Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya know what's really funny. I have more issues with Every CAT product I have purchased over the LAST 7 years and I see No complaints in the BBB on this company.

CAT Flywheels with the center holes to small on just the only 2 I orderd. That and they drilled the holes wrong so they put a slug in it and redrilled the hole thru 1/3 or the slug.

CAT Rockers with the center trunion off center and binding the lock in on the stud.

CAT crankshafts with thin counterweight requiring 4 plus pieces of mallory and $500 to balance. Also .002 to loarge a snout for slide fit balancers.

CAT Flexplates that are over .120 out of round.
CAT Flexplates that have the ring gear welded on to far forward and zing the starter gear at higher rpms.

CAT rods that were out of round. Had 10 sets from 2 different warehouses that mics .006 under!!!!! Cat rods that required the small end to be hone as it undersize for a press fit.

CAT balancers that were to big on the snout end and when you slide them on you could wouble it back and forth. Still have that one from 8 or so years ago.

Has CAT imported ANYTHING from Overseas that is worth a damn????????????????

A separate rant. ;) Let's pick on an American owned company (BG) that has a person that goes out of his way to get on the boards and try and help, he gets slammed for people that don't even have a dog in the fight. Funny how people never slammed a certain Pontiac vendor for bad products and they never come on the board or even acknowledge an issue? I know people afraid to post that got defective products ( I have the e-mails for other shops and them) because they would get slammed from other Pontiac people that............ have no dog in that fight too. But people still buy even after certain Pontiac people in the community got the sh*ft.
Amazing. I guess it depends on who it is?

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

He had a complaint, he vented, the tech dude replied. 2 sides to every story and both seem to be different. There is no end to this story.

Wait there is. He still needs to get it back and try it out. If no issues then post accordingly (but still can bitch about what he feels is a quote issue) that the work was completed and the unit works OK.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to twisted

From what I understand.....

All BG did was fix the pump at the cost of parts. But it ended up being more repairs then the owner originally thought.

This happens all the time in every repair field, in every hobby. The problem is, if BG just fixed the leak and sent it back to you for the $25 bucks, you pump may have run another ten years, or 6 months.
If it ran 10 years, nobody would ever hear about how great BG pumps are, but if it ran 6 months everyone will hear about how crappy BG pumps are.

The simple fact is, that if BG fixed the leak and shipped it back, they would be responsible for any problems that pump gives you from then on, due to the fact that they new it had damaged parts in it and did not fix it.

As a business you can not do something half assed no matter how much a customer wants you to.

I know you didn't want to spend anymore on the pump then you already have, but would you have rather they fixed the leak, and the pump grenaded on you in 6 months?

<Tech@BG, PM me for the address to send the free BG six shooter set up to.>

Old 07-24-2008, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"As a business you can not do something half assed no matter how much a customer wants you to."

PERFECT, a new quote for the bulletin board in the shop, I absolutely LOVE it!

You wouldn't believe how many times I hear these words: "just put it back together for now, I'll get it done right later" .

As a business owner, if you are STUPID enough to beleive that statement, more power to ya. I can tell you from experience, that the person who tells you that will be the FIRST one to blast you with a bunch of phone calls if everything associated with that job isn't PERFECT.

As for the BG stuff, can't comment since I've never used any of it. I think it's quite worthy of them to come on the boards in efforts to keep track of problems associated with their parts, and try to keep things in perspective. Everyone turns out stuff that doesn't always work right, or last as long as it should have.

We extend our warrantee's WAY beyond what most shops do. We only charge for materials in most cases, and sometimes expenses relating to the job, like time/fuel for testing, return shipping, etc. I figure it's better to help the customer out and reap the benefits in the big scheme of things.

Folks should keep in mind that this is a hobby, and many parts that leave our shops, especially fuel system stuff, carbs, etc, are subjected to rolls of teflon tape on fittings, TONS of dirt, debris, sand, rust, etc from 30 something year old gas tanks, water, ethanol, fuel additives, air introduced into the system from uncovering pick-ups and rotten fuel lines, etc, etc, etc. It's never a surprise when I get something back, and the customer will almost always try to indicate that it only has a couple of hours of use on it, even though it's been out there for many months or even years.

Bottom line is, all of us make mistakes, just about anything and everything will give troubles or break at some point. Cripe, I just toasted my Mallory Rev Limiting HEI Module, called Mallory and they told me to go buy a new one, end of the conversation. It was well outside any warrantee period, but they could at least have some sort of rebuild or trade in program available, or a coupon for $5 off a new one!......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff. back in the day I owned a parts house and sold Batteries. I would get customers wanting a 2 year battery for their caddy as.............. They were selling it next week and just need something to get it sold.

Then about 6 months later here they come bitchin because the battery isn't holding up and want it exchanged. But then when you tell them it's under powered to run all the accessories and they need a high amp one and the cost difference with the already used pricing on the old battery. And when you tell them you remember them coming in to get a battery that won't hold up and rmind them. Then your an a$$hole.

I got out of that business. To many cheap F^&*ks wanting something for nothing. Look at posts about the discount houses and issues. I experienced it. LOL.

Not to say what is right or wrong in this post and Bill is a friend. So I won't take sides. But a lot of different statements agruing over who said what.

If the pump was second hand, was over a year old and he has no paperwork and they still did the work less labor. How is BG wrong?
I asked questions as to this but haven't seen any answers posted. I'm looking at it as a business owner too.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"As a business you can not do something half assed no matter how much a customer wants you to."

PERFECT, a new quote for the bulletin board in the shop, I absolutely LOVE it!

You wouldn't believe how many times I hear these words: "just put it back together for now, I'll get it done right later" .

As a business owner, if you are STUPID enough to beleive that statement, more power to ya. I can tell you from experience, that the person who tells you that will be the FIRST one to blast you with a bunch of phone calls if everything associated with that job isn't PERFECT.

As for the BG stuff, can't comment since I've never used any of it. I think it's quite worthy of them to come on the boards in efforts to keep track of problems associated with their parts, and try to keep things in perspective. Everyone turns out stuff that doesn't always work right, or last as long as it should have.

We extend our warrantee's WAY beyond what most shops do. We only charge for materials in most cases, and sometimes expenses relating to the job, like time/fuel for testing, return shipping, etc. I figure it's better to help the customer out and reap the benefits in the big scheme of things.

Folks should keep in mind that this is a hobby, and many parts that leave our shops, especially fuel system stuff, carbs, etc, are subjected to rolls of teflon tape on fittings, TONS of dirt, debris, sand, rust, etc from 30 something year old gas tanks, water, ethanol, fuel additives, air introduced into the system from uncovering pick-ups and rotten fuel lines, etc, etc, etc. It's never a surprise when I get something back, and the customer will almost always try to indicate that it only has a couple of hours of use on it, even though it's been out there for many months or even years.

Bottom line is, all of us make mistakes, just about anything and everything will give troubles or break at some point. Cripe, I just toasted my Mallory Rev Limiting HEI Module, called Mallory and they told me to go buy a new one, end of the conversation. It was well outside any warrantee period, but they could at least have some sort of rebuild or trade in program available, or a coupon for $5 off a new one!......Cliff
Cliff, We also will a lot of times warranty stuff beyond the stated time as we know a lot of these guys are in the process of putting their cars together and may have parts for a year or two before they even come out of the box. We look at each case on an individual basis along with does the part have a legitimate defect. Case in point was the other day I received a carburetor back from a customer that we sold 13 years ago . This was one of the original Holleys that we had modified and this guy wrote a scathing 2 page letter to accompany it. He wasn't asking to have it fixed and went on to say how he had installed it only to find it was rich and wouldnt run on the bottom .His car had been in the works for those 13 years and was now ready to go so he borrowed a buddies carburetor and it ran right . He sent the carburetor back with a big note telling us to disassemble it and throw it on our scrap pile as he no longer wanted it. Looking at the carburetor we could tell it was like new and hadnt been ran much so I told my guys to throw it on the flow bench and lets see just what it is doing. We found it had too much fuel at idle and the pv was suspect so we pulled it down and the pv was good but the gasket under it was bad. We replaced the gasket and flow tested it again and the carb looked great so I called the guy back and explained the whole situation to him. He was very suprised at our findings and I told him we corrected it and would be sending it back so he could reinstall it. Now I am not in the habit of warrantying 13 year old parts but in this case the circumstances said it was the right thing to do. No internet threads and nobody reading about it but we did take a customer who wasn't happy with us for all those years and turn that around. Bottom line is we all have a business to run and cant give the farm away but we all will try to help whenever possible.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=PONTIAC DUDE;3362306]

I got out of that business. To many cheap F^&*ks wanting something for nothing. If the pump was second hand, was over a year old and he has no paperwork and they still did the work less labor. How is BG wrong?

Hmmm, said from a respected and well liked man. It is very hard to please everybody all the time. It is crappy when things do go wrong, but alas I guess that is life.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=fastgto;3362363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post

I got out of that business. To many cheap F^&*ks wanting something for nothing. If the pump was second hand, was over a year old and he has no paperwork and they still did the work less labor. How is BG wrong?

Hmmm, said from a respected and well liked man. It is very hard to please everybody all the time. It is crappy when things do go wrong, but alas I guess that is life.
Yes the wholesale parts business turned into a rough business. Don't get me wrong. I bend over backwards too and have a lot of god customers. I cherish them.

Not taking sides but i read in other forums on the internet this was posted on that Bill had the pump for over a year. He ran it on the street and it's a race short spurt pump only. He purchased it used. He was told that it would be $25.00 if everything else is Ok. But once apart it needed other items.But still with no paperwork was gonna get it repaired for no labor charge. Yes, I know the drill and they make some on the parts profit, but still no labor. He had the option of having it return as is and then seeing for himself the other parts needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above info. Like i said. I'm looking at it for the businessman's side.

I get engines or heads in here all the time. I give then a base price if they don't need anything but a valve job and seal. Tear them apart and find lots wrong. But the customer tells me it was running fine and just needed freshened up. How can they need all that work. They were fine. If nothing wrong then why do i have it?

Case in point. I had a customer from Lake City drop a 455 off to change out the cam for a hyd roller setup. This engine was done 10 years ago and had maybe 1000 miles? Said it ran fine. The dude isn't a gear head. I tore it apart and basically in great shape. Did need bearings. So I replaced the rings bearings and gaskets with the cam change. I fired it u and almost vibrated out of my fire up stand. Bad worse vibration i ever saw. I asked him for the old balance sheet. he didn't have it, but the crank was drilled and rods ground on. So one would asume that the balance job was done correctly and the customer didn't say a word differently. I had to tear it all apart and check it. This was a basic change out the cam lifters and pushrods.

The pistons were up to 3 grams off. The rods were 5 grams difference and the crank required 4 pieces of mallory because of all the drilling they was present. The crank was .020 and i suspect that the crank went out and they just grabbed another one and stuck it in. The customer just probably thought it was the rough idel of the big 240 plus duration cam. So ya see. Ya never know till ya tear it apart what ya find. Not my fault as it was supposed to be a cam change only on a fairly low mileage engine (and it was), not a from the start build.

Sh*t happens. :(

Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Chief

Cliff I think that is an over reaction to my statement. I think your business, and Pontiac Dudes business are both repairs, are they not?
This would be a totally different matter. Where as BG is a production, not just repairs.
I can see someone comming in and saying, hey I want the top end on my motor rebuilt, and you tell them the bottom end looks like hell and may not last very long, well if they don't have the money, they may say, ignore it, and intend to bring it back in a couple of months when they have the money to have the bottom end done.
Not sure why they would do it, but I have seen people do exactly that.

BG not repairing the internals on the pump would be like you not cleaning the dirt out of a carb before you give it to someone saying it's ready to run.

In my opinion the way thing should have gone down...

Person tells BG: I need a leak fixed on this pump.

BG tells person $25 dolla

Person tells BG: Ok, here it is.

BG tells person: Oh sorry pump needs rebuilt, that will cost you $113

Person tells BG: A) Oh ok, rebuild it.
B) Oh, no thats more then i want to spend.

If the person is told the pump is in need of a rebuild, and the person say, oh, no, just fix the leak, and send it back...
What is the reasoning? Either they are going to run it until it breaks, which is doubtful, or they are just going to stick it in the classifieds as < BG fuel pump, just got new gaskets from the manufacturer> .
When a person buys a pump listed that way, they assume it has been gone through, and they buy it and run it, and a few months later it quits on them.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM

For the business owners complaining about complaints, there's an old axiom that should be taken into consideration, actual research done to prove it.

For every customer that complains, there are nine others who are not complaining to you but to other potential customers. It would have been better to send it back saying it can't be fixed because it hadn't been used per specification than to do what we all hate, replace unexpected stuff and come back with an unexpectedly high bill then expect customer satisfaction from that.

Rather than eat the $80 difference, BG decided it would lose 10 customers. Doesn't sound like good business sense to me.

53 Chieftain "Herman"
55 wagon
72 Grandville
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG View Post
The pump had legitimate damage and needed additional parts to repair it above just being resealed.He was told prior to the repairs what it would take to get it back to original spec and the cost. .
BG stated that he was given a quote for the repairs prior to them fixing anything.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHolmes View Post
For the business owners complaining about complaints, there's an old axiom that should be taken into consideration, actual research done to prove it.

For every customer that complains, there are nine others who are not complaining to you but to other potential customers. It would have been better to send it back saying it can't be fixed because it hadn't been used per specification than to do what we all hate, replace unexpected stuff and come back with an unexpectedly high bill then expect customer satisfaction from that.

Rather than eat the $80 difference, BG decided it would lose 10 customers. Doesn't sound like good business sense to me.
For any item that is sent in for repair the customer is called prior to the repair and told what it needs and how much it is going to cost. It doesnt matter if it is a fuel pump , carburetor or other item as this is standard practice. I worked as a GM service manager for awhile and this is no differently than it is done in that business or any other that gives an estimate up front. Where it differs with our products though is that at the time we advise of the cost the item has already been disassembled so there are no suprises or calls later saying "well now it als needs this or that" . In the automotive service or repair business though it is hard to do that just as in the case Dude mentioned and we saw it all the time at the dealer.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-24-2008, 01:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHolmes View Post

Anyone that is going to refuse to do business with BG over a illegitimate complaint such as this one, was not a customer in the first place.

BG won't lose 10 customers,over this discussion in fact anyone that has been considering buying BG items, will probablly look at this thread, and say, "wait, is that an actual BG tech guy on these forums trying to help?" wow, I like that.
Or ,"Wait a minute, so if I send something in to have a minor repair, they will actually take the time to look at the rest of the item to see if it needs other repairs? at no cost labor? wow!"

Although i can see from a pesstamistic view some people may see, "holy cow someone feels like they have been over charged for something, he look gas dropped .30 cents this week...."