Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Barry Grant Sucks!!!!!!!!!!

I sent my BG280 pump back to Barry Grant to be repaired after it was discussed on this board about how it was $25 to replace a seal if it was leaking. The pump was used for less than a year without an issue, removed for 2 months and then reinstalled. Upon reinstallation, it started to leak. It worked fine when removed and I thought the seals were dried up or something. I was told by MANY friends not to send it back because it would be a waste of time. I should have listened. But after being told on this board by Tech@BG that it wouldn't be like that, it was like that. I will sell this pump as soon as it gets back and NEVER use a Barry Grant part on anything I own. I will also let everyone else know how I was screwed. MagnaFuel just got another customer.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM

P462:
What happened when you sent it back to BG? It was working, then taken off the car, then tried again and it leaked, you sent it off to be fixed and then what? If you don't mind could you elaborate a little for those slow on the take (me). Did they charge a bunch, refuse to fix it..?? I have a used BG pump but haven't installed it yet and am curious what to look out for if work is needed later down the road. Thanks for the heads up so we don't get hit with the same problems. Michael

Old 07-21-2008, 09:07 PM

i have not hade a problem with them. My 280 started leaking after 7 yrs of use. I took it along with me to the nationals at Maple Grove dropped it off at their display trailer.The rep rebuilt and presssure/flow tested it right in front of me paid my $25 All is good.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had 2 of the 220HR pumps here that leaked and had trouble priming

Took the bottom plate off and BOTH had massive grooves/scratches in the bottom plate leading from the centre, past the O-ring to the outside.

Tun the plate over, sand flat on glass with wet and dry and reinstall with the grooves out and all is good !!!.

Idiot intalling the plates thought it was better to hide them so the pump looked pretty but didnt work worth a damb. Typical BG quality control.

Just wait till you try their non stick, sorry I mean "super glue sticks so bad that its easier to chip off the metering block and leave the gasket intact" type gaskets for their carbs

I heard NASA is thinking about using their non stick gaskets to hold the tiles on the shuttle at launch. Nothing else seems to be able to do it but I am sure their gaskets will

Old 07-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The bill for repair was $105 for all kinds of parts that it "needed". The pump worked fine, just had an annoying drip when I sent it back. They tell me it was trashed inside. After about a year???? And the supply line was a #10, it was gravity fed and it has a 500GPH filter before the pump. It was plumbed properly. The pump comes with anti-tamper screws so I couldn't open it before i sent it. I can't see inside the pump once take it apart. They have me by the balls and I have no choice. I preferred the old days of going and buying a rebuild kit for $15 to fit my Holley blue pump and fixing it myself. So now I will be getting a $105 repaired pump back and I will be selling it and switching to something else just to get personal satisfaction. :(

Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac462 View Post
I sent my BG280 pump back to Barry Grant to be repaired after it was discussed on this board about how it was $25 to replace a seal if it was leaking. The pump was used for less than a year without an issue, removed for 2 months and then reinstalled. Upon reinstallation, it started to leak. It worked fine when removed and I thought the seals were dried up or something. I was told by MANY friends not to send it back because it would be a waste of time. I should have listened. But after being told on this board by Tech@BG that it wouldn't be like that, it was like that. I will sell this pump as soon as it gets back and NEVER use a Barry Grant part on anything I own. I will also let everyone else know how I was screwed. MagnaFuel just got another customer.
OLD NEWS!!! As much as I hate to say "I told you so".... Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LMAO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455-4+1 View Post
I have had 2 of the 220HR pumps here that leaked and had trouble priming

Took the bottom plate off and BOTH had massive grooves/scratches in the bottom plate leading from the centre, past the O-ring to the outside.

Tun the plate over, sand flat on glass with wet and dry and reinstall with the grooves out and all is good !!!.

Idiot intalling the plates thought it was better to hide them so the pump looked pretty but didnt work worth a damb. Typical BG quality control.

Just wait till you try their non stick, sorry I mean "super glue sticks so bad that its easier to chip off the metering block and leave the gasket intact" type gaskets for their carbs

I heard NASA is thinking about using their non stick gaskets to hold the tiles on the shuttle at launch. Nothing else seems to be able to do it but I am sure their gaskets will
And the hits just keep on coming!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

Since you seem to want to have 2 threads going regarding the same issue I will cut and paste your comment and mine form the other thread. Maybe one of the moderators can combine these two so everybody has the whole story.
.................................................. .................................................. ...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac462
Just wanted to bring this thread back to the top. I just sent my one pump back to be repaired. Just as I thought!!!!!!!!!!! Once they have the pump, they take it apart and can tell you whatever they want to tell you. I can't look inside it. I have no way of knowing what is wrong with it, but I was called Friday and told it was $105 to repair the pump? WTF!!!!! I explained how it was mentioned on this board and on this thread about "If it is just a leak it runs 25.00 to reseal them plus the shipping". I was told he would check into it and get back with me today. Well, Jeff at Barry Grant "checked into it" and called me back to say "It's more than just a leak". It apparently needed just about everything!!! This was a pump that was run for about a year and then removed and sat for 2 months before being reinstalled and then it started leaking. It worked fine when last used. How could the whole thing take a crap???? I was told it must have been installed improperly. Well, it was gravity fed, #10 line and a 500GPH rated filter before the pump. Hmmmmmmmm.

Like I said, Barry Grant will never see another dime from me. I am having this one repaired and will get it back and offer it for sale as soon as I get it back. The one on my car now will be sold as well. This is what is wrong with customer service in America. No wonder all my friends have switched to MagnaFuel. Hey Tech @BG........Thanks!! I would say thanks a million, but it would be more appropriate for you to say "Thanks $105"

Now.... lets tell the other side of the story you are leaving out. From the start you threatened Jeff with if you dont fix this for 25.00 I am going to run you guys in the ground on every forum I can...remember that? We are here to help you guys but in situations like this it sometimes has to make us think. The post is very clear that it was for the regulator as that is what we are discussing in that particular reply and I even clarified it after re-reading it and thinking it could be mis-interpreted.Goldbird even said his pump was fine and it was the regulators he was having problems with. That was months before you sent your pump in. Now here are the other FACTS you are leaving out... You purchased this pump used from one of your buddies as you stated to Jeff and the lifetime warranty only applies to the original purchaser with proof of purchase. We went ahead and extended the warranty to you as a courtesy and charged you only for the parts it needed and no labor. No it did not need everything as that runs 179.00 ,so before you go and bash us try being truthful and tell the whole story. You posted from the start you were going to switch over to something else before you ever sent the pump in and we didn't have to extend the warranty to you but we did. As I stated we are here to help you guys but lets all be reasonable about it.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Senior Chief

Here is the link to the original thread.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ht=barry+grant

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Senior Chief

Purchased pump used from one of your buddies. Hmmm I don`t see in your post where you say that.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgto View Post
Purchased pump used from one of your buddies. Hmmm I don`t see in your post where you say that.
Yes indeed, he told Jeff that he paid 250.00 for it from one of his buddies .

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Oh-Oh................

:popcorn:

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My questions are..........

Was it bought used?
Was it over a year old?
Do you have the original paperwork?
Did they fix it?
Did they fix it and cut you a break and fix it parts only?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Chief

here is a quote from one of his posts in the other thread made back in March of this year and at that point he acknowledges they were already over a year old. That would put one of them over 2 1/2 years old at least with the other a year and a half or more....

"I haven't had good results from either BG280 pump I've bought. Each has lasted just over a year. I bought the second one just because I didn't want to send the first one back to get repaired. Now I have two leaking pumps. Why would I send them back and pay $75-150 for each to be repaired plus shipping and have them last a year again? Just doesn't make sense. I'll be switching to something else."

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

Here is an interesting quote taken from your ad on race junk for the car. As already stated the 280's are not for street or continuous use......

"This is the car that had the double blower setup on it. It has been changed back to a single 8-71 blower. This car got all the attention anyone could ever want and even has a fine sponsor in PYPES Performance Exhaust. It has made the rounds from Detroit at the Woodward Dream Cruise to Myrtle Beach at the Run to the Sun car show. Other places I have been with the car are Atco NJ, Atlantic City NJ, Maple Grove Pa, Richmond Va, Ocean City Md, Louisville Ky, Norwalk Oh, Harrington De, and all over Maryland.

This car is perfect for cruising to the local burger joint or any weekend show. It isn't a perfect ISCA turntable, mirrors on the floor trailer queen. It was built to be driven. Drive it anywhere as long as you put gas in it!! It doesn't overheat or have bad manners while driving. I have driven this car in 4th of July parades over 90 degrees outside for over an hour and never got above 190. Driven it in bumper to bumper traffic at the Cruisin Ocean City events and never had an issue with the car. "

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Again, maybe I've been lucky but I've run their stuff (carbs, pumps, regulators) in Super Gas since 1991 and I haven't had any of these issues. Just put a BG400 on my 63 Tempest S/G last week. I've sent pumps back to be rebuilt with no issues. My S/Street Firebird also uses a 400. I run my systems just like they diagram and I've been pleased. Most companies wouldn't take the time to get on here and deal with the general public (it gets rough sometimes). But AGAIN, this is MY experience.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it matter if it's used or not....?
Fixing the leak, that is.

I think 462 was under the impression, that it only needed a new seal. An expensive repair is not what he was expecting. If it is fixed and paid for, what is the warranty then?

Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugratman View Post
Does it matter if it's used or not....?
Fixing the leak, that is.

I think 462 was under the impression, that it only needed a new seal. An expensive repair is not what he was expecting. If it is fixed and paid for, what is the warranty then?
The warranty covers labor only to the original purchaser. It does not cover misuse/misapplication which is what we are now finding out after looking into it further.That is not the point at hand. The point is that he told us up front if we charged him anything over 25.00 he was going to run us in the ground on every forum he could . The pump had legitimate damage and needed additional parts to repair it above just being resealed.He was told prior to the repairs what it would take to get it back to original spec and the cost. We will be glad to recall the pump from UPS , credit his card and send him back the pieces if he would like at this point as we went out of the way and extended the warranty to him only to get bashed on numerous sites. The warranty covers the repair itself just as it would anywhere else.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 07-22-2008, 05:37 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog

HAHA

This is too funny!!!

:popcorn:

Old 07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech @ BG........Here is the WHOLE story.....since you want to ASSume waaaayyyy too much.

First, I never threatened from the beginning anything. I did tell Jeff @ BG on Friday that I would put a reply on the thread on PY about what did happen. That wasn''t a threat, it was just putting an ending to my story for those that read it before. I Stated that it would probably cost between $75 and $150 to repair the pump and it wasn't worth that to me. You replied to me, not anyone else, that if it was just leaking it would be $25. Here is that post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac462
Not a knock on BG directly. I have just had bad experiences in the past when I have sent items back to the manufacturer to be repaired. I sent 3 MSD units back for repair. They said it would be 1-2 weeks. 3 weeks later I check on them and they can't find one of the units. After a big fiasco they ended up giving me a new unit but it was a bad experience. I sent a converter back to be tightened up. Same thing.....lost the converter. 4 weeks and too many phone calls. It's just a hassle. That's why if I can do something myself, I prefer to do that.

I rebuilt Holley blue pumps all the time for myself and others. Never had an issue. For $75 I didn't expect much from those pumps but they did well for the money. When I pay $300+ for a pump, I expect more. I haven't had good results from either BG280 pump I've bought. Each has lasted just over a year. I bought the second one just because I didn't want to send the first one back to get repaired. Now I have two leaking pumps. Why would I send them back and pay $75-150 for each to be repaired plus shipping and have them last a year again? Just doesn't make sense. I'll be switching to something else.

Your reply:

If it is just a leak it runs 25.00 to reseal them plus the shipping.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

Next, You ASSume that that pump was on MY car. You ASSume that it was driven on the street under continuous operation. You know what happens when you
A-S-S-ume.

The pump came off a friend of mines DRAG CAR that was only used at the track for less than a year. It was gravity fed. It was fed with a #10 line. It did have a 500GPH filter before the pump.

I knew better than to send it back because of issues like I'm having with you guys. You talked me into it. All I'm doing now is talking people oout of making the same mistake that i did. I'm done. Barry Grany will be out of business or sold off soon enough. Real racers don't use your stuff anymore, at least pump wise.

Trust me, chase me all over the internet. I won't stop bad mouthing you guys. All this over one pump. I hope it's worth it to you cause I already got my moneys worth. Also, I won't trust the pump once you send it back cause I figure you guys have messed with it by now and are laughing about it. So when I sell it to someone, I will tell them the whole story and say use at you own risk. Then you can deal with another dissatisfied customer when it fails on them. Customer service in this country has gone in the toilet. I am in sales and I know what customer service is all about. I keep multi-million dollar clients factories up and running. Downtime to them is in the tens of thousands of dollars per minute in some cases. I keep them satisfied. You guys should learn what customer service is all about.

And I wish you would quit the lying and get the story straight. I NEVER SAID FROM THE BEGINNING anything that was threatening!!!!!!!!!!! I talked to Jeff on Friday and he told me it was $105. I told him I had read a thread on PY that said it was $25 to fix the leak. He said he knew nothing about it and and would check with someone and get back with me on Monday. I told him that I said in the thread that I had stated that it was more likely $75-$150 to fix it and it wasn't worth that to me, I'd just buy a new pump. I told him that since it was $105 and not $25 that I would follow up on the thread and let people know what the outcome was. When he called back on Monday and told me there was nothing he could do and it was still $105, I then told him no problem. I would make sure to let as many people as I could know about what happened. So it wasn't from tjhe beginning. I didn't try to get anything for free. I was simply asking why YOU said $25 to fix a pump if it was leaking and it cost $105. How the he** can I bully a big company like BG? I can't. But I can express my frustration of how you treat customers like me. And I have.