Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Barry Grant - 6 shooter intake and other issues

Barry Grant is really putting me thru the wringer with my intake manifold.. Am not sure of how I will report this and there service (which so far hasn't been good) until I get it back. But to say its been 'tuff' to get a good product and get a positive response from tech service is right now an understatement.

Sad this cost me $2600 and a poor looking product shouldnt be the end product

Will fill in the end when I get part back from them.

Skepitical eric65

Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 PM

What is the issue on the intake? I sell them, and I haven't had a problem with them yet.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am also watching with interest. I've been seriuosly considering this setup for our 64. Cap

Old 12-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Gag order...

prevents me from relaying any info about BG, as the last time I did, someone from this board faxed all my posts about it to my employer, resulting in three days off without pay and the threat of losing my job if I did not "cease and desist." As a result, I'll need to get my son to post some other info I have under his sign-on to avoid any further retaliation by this "fellow member." I don't feel that what they did was legal, but I cannot afford to stake my livelyhood on it. That is all I can say at present time...stay tuned! Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Barry Grant Support follow up

Follow-up

Ron sounds like others have experienced issues with BG and support, I cant specualte on yours, but here is mine. I hate to hear of you getting days off for being truthful or reporting problems with a manufacture. You possibly could save people many $'s If a fellow member here did this to you .. that is a cowardly and low down act... That person should be banned from here as this is a forum and its intent is to inform all users of positives and negatives about manufactures as well as detailed info. (I speculate that it could have been......pm me for my guess)

Bought the BG Pontiac 6 pack for my project, and have been deliberating wheather to use it or not or go to a dual quad.. but I will keep it due to the fit problems I have found ..

Well upon getting it noticed the front carb would not fit where the studs were OK. So BG's support ask to send back or I can round out the carb base hole// Well I sent back and they fixed ok..

Well next I mocked it up on my heads and noticed that when trying to bolt it up 2 bolts will not go in on each side by the intake runners.. Well this is 2 problems with the intake, so getting kind of angry:mad: .. Call BG about problem 2 they say we can shave intake runners or you can try. There tech says just grind off a little intake runner to accomidate the bolt..

Well I figure I wil try it, instead of sending back AGAIN .. So I did but without thinking that this intake is cast aluminum. Well I can get the bolts in now but the finish is NOT GOOD. I should have figured this anytime you grind or file aluminum the finish will not be the same..So now the fit is ok but the finish is a disaster...

So I'm pretty unhappy by now my intake will fit but it looks like hell and am not sure of how to deal with it..

I sends it to BG and of course with their junk support and standing behind their product they will not replace with a good one..
I have read that there were 2 intake runs a early and late, in which the late one fixed the problems of fit and bolt up.. So I have a early poor fit intake obviously

I reckon the gripe is that I spent $2500 on a product that had 2 big problems and were never fit tested at the factory and now I have one that looks bad. Functionallity it should/could be fine and I havent tried that aspect of it SO I can only pray it works as I know BG support will be no help/:mad:

Pontiac Poncho I guess if you sell them you have the late run intake and therefore have no problems. Guess on my part

Cap if you get one make sure you get a late run intake and make sure it fits in every way.

If I had it to do again I would not I would recommend not to buy from BG and they dont stand behind their ill fitting products.

Cap I would hope that the unit runs fine but I cannot support or recommend them to you. I would try and get a 66 tri power and have it worked to run on your bigger than stock cubic inch engine. Possible from Mike's Tripowers

I have been burned by BG but I think my unit will work just looks like crap .. But at every show/cruise in and so on I will make every effort to blast BG and their products and show and tell of problems unrectified.

Best Regards
Eric65

Last edited by eric65; 12-13-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Actually..

I cannot imagine any company NOT eating a few bucks on inital runs of any item. What could an intake cost them? Advertising is not cheap and word of mouth advertising is priceless. I know from my own retail experience that if you have a bad experience with a product, you'll tell ten times as many folks as you would about something going as it should...and with much more passion! Doesn't make good sense to me, but I'm just a grunt. Personally, I'm a devout Quick Fuel Technologies fan for life! Take care. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default Barry Grant

I too had a problem with Barry Grant customer service. I e-mailed them and this was the response I got back.

The people that were causing the problems in customer service are no longer employed
with the company, as the owner finally got tired of reading and seeing that our
customers were not receiving the responses they should have.

Well I hope, and think this will solve the problems of bad customer service as they do have some good products. I will re-order from them and see what happens.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WOW or LOL
When was this revealed to you??? I had recent dealing with their support but I think it was over a month or 2 ago and I'm gonna lambaste them every chance I get
Hum

I am not sure I would trust them...on their customer support or lack there of..

Good Luck with them but be very careful...

Eric

Old 12-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Senior Chief

This was e-mailed to me today Dec 26th from Barry Grant`s people. Cross your fingers on this and we will see what happens. Seems strange they are working the 26th though.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How did these 2 different topics get merged?????

Old 12-27-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric65
How did these 2 different topics get merged?????
Sometimes we will merge two threads dealing with similar problems with the same vendor. This keeps the forum free of too many duplicate threads on the same basic subject, making it easier to find info on this vendor.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Then can you change the title to specify their manifold as that is what mine had pertained too But if not no problem I was looking for it and lost it and I know ks gto Cap may want to revisit this thread

Thanks
eric

Old 12-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegstek
prevents me from relaying any info about BG, as the last time I did, someone from this board faxed all my posts about it to my employer, resulting in three days off without pay and the threat of losing my job if I did not "cease and desist." As a result, I'll need to get my son to post some other info I have under his sign-on to avoid any further retaliation by this "fellow member." I don't feel that what they did was legal, but I cannot afford to stake my livelyhood on it. That is all I can say at present time...stay tuned! Ron
I'd make it my quest to find this person and break all his/fingers and thumbs...for starters.
People have been killed for stuff like that.

:mad:

Sad to say i've heard NOTHING good about B.G. customer service in last 5 yrs.
I've had a couple new carbs, and had to go through'm.
Clean'm and fix minor stuff.
But worked good afterwards.
Have one now that is giving me prob's.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100

Last edited by Region Warrior; 12-27-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks eric65- I am tracking it with great interest. Thanks. Cap

Old 01-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Follow up by BG support contact

Well to follow up I have heard from bg support. Around the time of the bg support thread started by fastgto(and thank you for it) about their support being different, I had sent a letter to BG himself about my intake. Explained to him in letter about it not fitting and my trimming and the following I tried to get the finish right. Also that I was unhappy about their support.

Well got a call today from a Adam Campbell for follow up and he said upon review by BG himself and fellow VP's they would special offer me to be able to buy a new BG 6 shooter manifold to replace mine..for a meger $350
We agreed that I should have not removed material(and extra material I tried) myself but should have removed material and if not happy with the finish should have sent it back and maybe the out come would have been different. :confused:

Adam tells me they fix many of these intake in this way.. They grind off excess material and then get the finish as close as possible to correct so you can't really tell its been done.;) All this for $2500

To sum up I can buy a correct fitting intake to replace mine I havent really put on yet. This is their final word, and from bg himself.

Well imho I am still unhappy with BG and bg products and their response. I had already sent this intake back once for non fitting carb. My big mistake was not demanding a refund after sending back the 1st time. So I am stuck, I can get the intake to fit but getting it to look decent will not happen.

To Cap or anyone else looking to buy the 6 shooter I would suggest not to, I have zero confidence in bg support. If the president, owner, and, grand puba's response is let the customer buy another intake. Decide yourself if you want his products on your car, and what will you do if you have a problem.

Best Regards
Eric65

Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Well to follow up I have heard from bg support. Around the time of the bg support thread started by fastgto(and thank you for it) about their support being different, I had sent a letter to BG himself about my intake. Explained to him in letter about it not fitting and my trimming and the following I tried to get the finish right. Also that I was unhappy about their support.

Well got a call today from a Adam Campbell for follow up and he said upon review by BG himself and fellow VP's they would special offer me to be able to buy a new BG 6 shooter manifold to replace mine..for a meger $350
We agreed that I should have not removed material(and extra material I tried) myself but should have removed material and if not happy with the finish should have sent it back and maybe the out come would have been different. :confused:

Adam tells me they fix many of these intake in this way.. They grind off excess material and then get the finish as close as possible to correct so you can't really tell its been done.;) All this for $2500

To sum up I can buy a correct fitting intake to replace mine I havent really put on yet. This is their final word, and from bg himself.

Well imho I am still unhappy with BG and bg products and their response. I had already sent this intake back once for non fitting carb. My big mistake was not demanding a refund after sending back the 1st time. So I am stuck, I can get the intake to fit but getting it to look decent will not happen.

To Cap or anyone else looking to buy the 6 shooter I would suggest not to, I have zero confidence in bg support. If the president, owner, and, grand puba's response is let the customer buy another intake. Decide yourself if you want his products on your car, and what will you do if you have a problem.

Best Regards
Eric65
Eric,
I have read this post and much like the letter that was written to Barry you seem to take the words you want out and twist them to suit your case. We will resize the pictures of the intake that you refer to and post them tomorrow so that the other members can make their own judgement. You ground nearly 85% of the surface of the intake if not more and then demanded for us to replace the intake with a new one. We made the first repair for you as asked for and when you determined some months later that you had issues with starting a couple of the bolts we once again offered to get it back here and correct it for you under warranty. You declined and decided to cut the reliefs yourself for the bolt heads and after grinding too much material away decided to continue on and grind most of the surface on the remainder of the manifold. You stated that I said "Adam tells me they fix many of these in this way" and once again you have taken out of context and twisted my words to suit yourself. What I stated to you was that some of the early manifolds had to be modified in the area around a couple of the bolt heads and that once the issue was brought to our attention that machining process had been incorporated into the machining of the manifolds as we get them from the foundry and have to machine them. I also went on to tell you that I was looking at one of these manifolds and when properly done it was not noticable.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 01-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tech@BG
Thanks for responding.
Not try'n to point fingers. There are usually 2 sides.
And a company like yours can only get better(products & service) by going public like here.

When you make new products, do you test(moch up) on an assembled engine before bringing to market?
Not being a A.S., just wondering.
I've had problems with some Edelbrock manifolds as well.
And when you deck blocks and mill heads, need to mill intake side of head or intake manifold.
Maybe this could be one of eric65's problems?
Hard to deturmine problem without pic's, but carb mounting off?

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Manifold topic

Quote:
You ground nearly 85% of the surface of the intake if not more and then demanded for us to replace the intake with a new one
Quote:
You declined and decided to cut the reliefs yourself for the bolt heads and after grinding too much material away decided to continue on and grind most of the surface on the remainder of the manifold.
True: explanation after sending back the 1st time, found bolts would not go in. Called tech support. Tech Steve says: "you can grind away excess material or we can". I tried as I after once sending back for fit issues didnt want to send again of could get away with it..After grinding enuff to get bolt in find that intake finish is now bad or different from original cast. Try to get rest of manifold uniform in finish so started doing it all, and will continue.

Quote:
We made the first repair for you as asked for and when you determined some months later that you had issues with starting a couple of the bolts we once again offered to get it back here and correct it for you under warranty
4 Bolts. Tech Steve didnt state warranty in conversation I didnt ask warranty either was trying to make this work.

Quote:
I also went on to tell you that I was looking at one of these manifolds and when properly done it was not noticable.
In your opinion

Quote:
We will resize the pictures of the intake that you refer to and post them tomorrow so that the other members can make their own judgement
Do not forget to mention to members that you have in an effort to make it look decent put the manifold in the tumbler per our agreement to try that fix simnce replacement is not an option 4 me.

Points to consider
Your tech should not advise that the customer could grind away material
You should not send out ill fitting parts
You knowing the manifold had bolt alignment issues should have repaired this when you had it the 1st time
You should make a point to be more customer friendly.

Suppose I would have sent this manifold back and you replaced it What would you have done with the original? I hope not supply it to someone else..

I suppose a point here is say if you buy Edelbrock heads and port them and say crack them is Edelbrock liable. No-- they probably state any modification the customer is liable.
If a Tech rep says however you can modify a non fitting part and you try it who is liable. Seems I am according to BG and maybe members here as well think this or this is there opinion.

However they didnt pay the $2500 for the non fitting part, and the advice to try to grind it myself.
Lets say I didnt grind it at all then are you Barry Grant proud of the fact that these early manifolds have many fit issues?
Thanks
Eric

Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior
Tech@BG
Thanks for responding.
Not try'n to point fingers. There are usually 2 sides.
And a company like yours can only get better(products & service) by going public like here.

When you make new products, do you test(moch up) on an assembled engine before bringing to market?
Not being a A.S., just wondering.
I've had problems with some Edelbrock manifolds as well.
And when you deck blocks and mill heads, need to mill intake side of head or intake manifold.
Maybe this could be one of eric65's problems?
Hard to deturmine problem without pic's, but carb mounting off?
Region Warrior, I don't see that as a bad question and in fact when we are developing new intakes such as this we do use original factory parts such as blocks,heads and intakes for reference. With the Pontiac version we even went as far as to have an original tri-power intake on hand as well as these components being at the casting house. As you mentioned when it comes to cast parts the issues are not just limited to our company but we do address the issues as quick as we discover them or am made aware of them.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
True: explanation after sending back the 1st time, found bolts would not go in. Called tech support. Tech Steve says: "you can grind away excess material or we can". I tried as I after once sending back for fit issues didnt want to send again of could get away with it..After grinding enuff to get bolt in find that intake finish is now bad or different from original cast. Try to get rest of manifold uniform in finish so started doing it all, and will continue.

4 Bolts. Tech Steve didnt state warranty in conversation I didnt ask warranty either was trying to make this work.

In your opinion

Do not forget to mention to members that you have in an effort to make it look decent put the manifold in the tumbler per our agreement to try that fix simnce replacement is not an option 4 me.

Points to consider
Your tech should not advise that the customer could grind away material
You should not send out ill fitting parts
You knowing the manifold had bolt alignment issues should have repaired this when you had it the 1st time
You should make a point to be more customer friendly.

Suppose I would have sent this manifold back and you replaced it What would you have done with the original? I hope not supply it to someone else..

I suppose a point here is say if you buy Edelbrock heads and port them and say crack them is Edelbrock liable. No-- they probably state any modification the customer is liable.
If a Tech rep says however you can modify a non fitting part and you try it who is liable. Seems I am according to BG and maybe members here as well think this or this is there opinion.

However they didnt pay the $2500 for the non fitting part, and the advice to try to grind it myself.
Lets say I didnt grind it at all then are you Barry Grant proud of the fact that these early manifolds have many fit issues?
Thanks
Eric
Eric,The pictures we will be posting are of the intake as we received it from you before any work was done by us. As our original conversation before we did anything on it the second time and tumbled it the fact was discussed[and brought up by you] that you yourself had cut too much material off the manifold in other areas not even affected by the 4 bolts and wanted to know if we could weld it up and remachine it.It was at this point that I told you we would not be repairing those areas and due to the damage you created the only thing we could do for you was to put in in the mill and try to clean the bottom side up for you where you cut it for the valley pan. It was discussed in a later conversation that if you wanted, we could try and tumble it to see if it would help the appearence at no charge to you but we had no idea how it would look afterwards. I even went as far to tell you that it would not make it smooth and it may look spotted. You told me you were well aware of tumbling and to go ahead with the process.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com