Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:37 PM

Not sure where this goes from here, but I want to warn the world of my BAD experience with a dealer. I know it's ultimately my fault that I was taken advantage of and I emberassingly accept that responsibility. I purchased a 65 GTO from a dealer in Pa. I want others to be alerted to my experience to prevent anyone else getting taken by this dealer. What do I do now to conform to Forum ettique/rules? Just blurt it out?--Waitng for reply---Cap

Old 04-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The dealer wouldn't happen to be Custom Classic GTO would it?

Old 04-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

BLKBRD- No, It was Dave & his wife Marietta Tomchik as Sports Car Gallery of Beaver Falls Pa. Tonight I am going to sit down and spell out the whole thing on this forum section to get it out there objectively. Then if I'm "all wet" about feeling the way I do, the forum can tell me. And I go on from there.

Cap & Robin Proffitt-GTOAA PR & Member Recruitment Team
Old 04-14-2005, 12:41 PM

Unfortunately there are some very unreasonable people that no matter how nice the car and how good the price; the car is never nice enough, the price is never low enough. Cap bought red 4-speed '65 GTO with power steering, center console, Rallye gauges, rallye wheels, with a nonmatching but correct 389 in #3 show-driver condition for $24,000 AND HE IS UNHAPPY!?! My God, he must not get out much. Perhaps a new Honda would better suit him...

Old 04-14-2005, 01:04 PM

Nope; not related to joe namath but his brother's insurance office is right around the corner. you're more than welcome to stop by and take a look.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to SGTGTO

I bought my 68 GTO through the Sport Car Gallery. Unfortunately I did it while I was in Iraq, and could not view the car for myself. I even had an appraiser take a look at it. I relied heavily on what their website said. Turns out the appraiser sucked, and the website was crap. TONS of little things wrong with it. Show quality my @ss. You win some, you lose some. My advice to anyone is if you get a car from there, kick them tires mighty hard. I will say they made it pretty painless to purchase the car from another state (my dad did the paperwork) and they were kind enough to hold the car there until shipping could be arranged. A for customer service.... C- for advertised product.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sportcar-After I have finished my post tonight about what the two Restration shops said and I list the hidden flaws vs. the write up about the advertisement and the comments of the person you suggested, then we can continue and others can make their own minds up about you.--Cap

Old 04-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i bought a 70 t37 from Sports car gallery last fall.
the car was everything the website said it was.
i bought this car just for racing.
the previous owner put all kinds of expensive race gear in it.
of course, he made money on selling me the car but that's what he's in business for.
if i would have done everything that has been done to the car i purchased, to a bone stock t37,i probably would have spent another 10 grand and not be racing til next year.
i looked at the car on a monday and told him i would be back saturday to pick it up.
i asked how much of a deposit to hold the car.
he told me my handshake was good enough and to come saturday and pick it up.
dave and marietta are good people.
they have some real sharp cars and i feel they price their cars fairly.
david

Old 04-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would'nt spend that kind of money on #3 car wrong motor to boot, unless it was a vert. $17,000 tops my nickels worth. Show/driver would be I think a #2 car with orig mtr. #3 would be clean driver. Dave K.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:48 PM

HA HA!! sgtgto; you are unhappy with your hide-away headlight '68 GTO for $15900?? the inspector was crap?? the website was crap?? and the car is crap too?? perhaps you need to get out a bit more too... take cap with you!!
2manyponchos would only spend $17000 on a #3 show-driver gto convertible?!? see if cap and sgtgto have room in the car for you too. you three together would be a riot!!
HEY, spring carlisle is this weekend, you guys NEED to go. in fact, take your cars, you may find yourselves with a substantial profit...

Old 04-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A #3 car is a driver not show car. From what was described seems the 65 needs HELP (to be #2 car). So does your people skills. We can judge better when cap gets back on the hidden flaws. By the way I can spend as much or as little as I see fit, and it won't be goin in your pocket. My 67 hardtop was bought as a driver for $2500 FYI. Sportcar 3 posts all neg. you need a life. Dave K.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Group-
Sorry I've kept you waiting-didn't mean to. I have had a PM exchange going with sportcar (Dave) & then suddenly I sat back and rexamined everything. Including "pittsburgh 64's about keeping my cool (thanx pittsburgh 64). I decided I had the personal responsibility to admit some things to him, but point out some other things that I felt he could benefit from in the future (from a consumer standpoint).
I had a rather long but honest, objective, PM built to him. I tried to print it and lost it, so I have to start over and will accomplish it tonight. Then I will come into this forum and point out some things for the benefit of anyone in the proccess of purchase. But I have decided that a prolonged forum debate on this car, will result in mudslinging and not really accomplish much but make us both look like idiots. The whole purpose in the first place was to get people to over rule their enthusiasm of a owning a dream car and act responsibly - it's ok to Trust----but by all means Verify. I didn't follow that ALL the way through.
Until later, please bear with me......Cap

Old 04-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to SGTGTO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">HA HA!! sgtgto; you are unhappy with your hide-away headlight '68 GTO for $15900?? the inspector was crap?? the website was crap?? and the car is crap too?? perhaps you need to get out a bit more too... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hide-away headlight GTO? I was looking around.. i failed to find..... the acuators, spring assembly, hoses, OR the hide-away light switch. I think what you ment to say was 68 GTO with hide-away doors.. and nothing else. And yes the appraiser was crap, he missed a rip in the headliner. 5 inches LONG! And about 100 other things! You would think for 300 some odd $$ they would be good. If you are so behind your website, then why don't you take out that disclaimer stating that you cannot guaruntee any words on the site. I made the mistake of trusting your site, and the appraiser. That is my bad. But you are still the jack@ss that runs the site and sold it. I didn't know being a smug SOB was part of good business.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:50 PM

sgtgto, the hide-aways were manually operated and this was explained to you IN GREAT DETAIL PRIOR TO PURCHASE; REMEMBER?? and the inspection you ordered also explained this; REMEMBER?? or are you too stupid to appreciate a great car at an great price?? ps. seen any '68 gtos as nice as yours for $15,900??
pps. I have some comments where you rave about what a nice car it is; want me to post them??

Old 04-19-2005, 08:11 PM
Senior Chief

Dear Sportcar,

May I trouble you a tad by asking you to type coherent sentences? Your posts have a tendency to make my eyes bleed.

Thank you

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 04-19-2005, 08:21 PM

cap.

by all means post what was found with this car. after reading sgt gto's partial list i'm very intrested in reading this.

if you don't want to post it here then send it to the email in my profile.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-19-2005, 08:22 PM

sportcar, you need to work on your people skills. that's no way for a business person to speak to a prospective or past client.

this is also not the part of this forum to be trolling for cars. there is a section specifically for that.

this is the reason you ad was deleted and all in the future will be deleted that are in the wrong forums.

read the description of the forum before you post in it.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Forum- The advice and comments offered to me by "pittsbugh 64" gave me cause to to fully give this whole matter personal review. I am grateful for his advice and therefore have tried very hard to keep my cool and be very upfront and objective. Sometimes that is painful and emberassing, but I am the one that has to look at me in mirror.
I intended to come back at this writing and list word for word the Dealers' written description in the Ad. Then proceed through my intial examination impressions and back those up by what 2 resto-shops found. However, two things have altered those intentions.
One being; As I have browsed through other posts of complaints between parties, Things can regress to the point of ridiculous with several parties making comments that can get carried away. When that happens there are no winners, and emotions can make us appear as something other than what we are. I began down that road with this issue.
The second being (and most important); The dealer and I will forever disagree on the car vs. how it was represented. That really becomes almost pointless because of my deviation of responsible purchasing practices.
In all fairness, I have PM'd the dealer and relayed much of this to him. The fate of his business will not be determined by me, but by the "Market".
Contrary to how it may seem, I am a successful businessman in my field. I too, deal with the public--customers---and my success is determined by my principles of business, honesty, customer service and my reputation in my field. However, in my enthusiasm to once again own the car of my dreams, I violated one or two principles of business that I had been taught. I based my decision on several things I had been told and on Trust. Trust is ok, but I didn't follow all the way through. One practice that has in the past treated me very well is the concept of Trust--BUT verify. I deviated from that philosophy by not following through and I accept the consequences-totally.
Plain fact is- he was selling-I bought. I did have every opportunity to have the car inspected by an independent third party and failed to do so. Suffice it to say, that my initial fears of getting something other than I thought were substantiated by two Resto-shops.

I would most emphatically stress to all that are making a purchase to Trust all you want, But to make sure Verification of what's represented is part of your process.
After my last post and the advice of "pittsburgh 64", I had to ask myself-are my actions to date motivated by my self-assigned role of an obligation to "warn the world" or by my personal emberassment of deviating from responsible purchasing practices? Clearly, I failed to properly watch out for my own interests and I will close with the advice--Know who you're doing business with and be sure to Verify by whatever means before committing.
I thank all of you for your tolerance and will no longer persue this issue. I am thankful for all the talent and the quality of subject matter of this forum. I hope to be a positive part of it for some time to come. Thank You all---Cap or ks gto (I am registered on this forum at my office and at home.)

Old 04-19-2005, 10:01 PM

good night girls...

Old 04-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sportcar:
good night girls... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that right there is great customer service.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition