THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-02-2024, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My first car was a '63 Dart 170 4 door with the 170 Slant 6, push button tranny. Drove it everywhere. Eventually added the Mopar 2 bbl manifold and carb...made it spunkier. Even later than that replaced the 170 with a 225 and used the 170 head for added compression, which made the thing fun to drive being such a light car. Discovered that a glass-pack muffler was no fun..sounds good on the outside but not from the inside of the car.... teen age lessons. Handed it down to my younger brother when I got a '67 Lemans Sprint, fully optioned.

Later years, 1990, I learned of a '67 Dart for sale from an older couple, 60K miles, $200, to use as a daily commuter, olive body, olive interior, olive vinyl top. Ugly, sure, but did the job. Sold it years later to a guy with a teen-age son for $1200.

George

Old 02-13-2024, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 55 Chevy 210 sedan with the 235 six and 3 on the tree was super reliable good fuel economy. The only thing I ever did to it was put gas in it and replace the brushes in the generator one. Such a smooth running quiet engine and it had solid lifters but you couldn't hear them. And I never adjusted the valves.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Generator brushes", before alternators.
I remember them well.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Polarizing the generator; I remember the first time I did it with my 60 Ford Stepside.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 02-14-2024, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When i was a kid was the First time I heard of or saw that I thought it was weird to do
.now I understand it but it's still weird.

George

Old 02-14-2024, 03:54 PM

Generators can run positive or neg ground, that's why it needs to be polarized. Not the case with alternators, they run negative ground only.

The only exception is some heavy truck alternators are built with a floating ground, in that the negative and positive outputs of the alternator have separate posts so they can be connected to work either positive or negative ground just by connecting the ground and hot cable to the appropriate terminal.

The Following User Says Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post: