Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Senior Chief

Question Two quick questions

On the door jamb of the 66 convertible are two slots, high and low near the edge of the door skin...are they for rubber bumpers?
Nothing shows in the Fisher Body book nor in the restoration guide.

Second question: How much space is between the transmission hump and the transmission for the shifter cable to go through? I have the diameter and the location, but with the tranny installed, it looks like there isn't enough room for the cable (maybe 3/4")

Wayne S

1966 Le Mans Convertible STATUS: *In Progress*
389 (sixty over)/200-4R/10 Bolt (3.08 for now)

My other ride is a 71 Jeep J4000 Pick-up Truck with factory Buick 350/Th400

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, the slots are for the door bumpers. PY part number RPD32 listed on page 92 of catalog. $2.00 ea. Have a turbo 400 in my 66 with a B&M cable. Don't remember any problem attaching from the stock shifter to the trans. Should slip right through even with the trans in the car.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you Sir!
I bought the "rubber bumper kit" and figured the four I had left should be for the doors, but I wasn't sure.

I looked at the 200 4R beside the turbo 400 and they "looked" about the same height, so it may be an adjustment I need to make and lower the tranny.

So I can stay in the ballpark, what angle is the driveshaft from the tranny to the rear?

Wayne S

Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJplumcrazy View Post
Thank you Sir!
I bought the "rubber bumper kit" and figured the four I had left should be for the doors, but I wasn't sure.

I looked at the 200 4R beside the turbo 400 and they "looked" about the same height, so it may be an adjustment I need to make and lower the tranny.

So I can stay in the ballpark, what angle is the driveshaft from the tranny to the rear?

Wayne S
Don't know the angle, maybe someone else on the form can answer that question.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJplumcrazy View Post

Wayne S
If you have to lower the rear trans mount, be careful as this could cause you other issues (vibration, premature ujoint wear, wheel hop). It is important that the trans output shaft & the diff ujoint yoke remain on the same plane (parallel to each other). My suggestion would be to massage the hump a little to allow the clearance if you need it & keep the trans in the same position. Just a little bit of clearancing shouldn't affect the fit of the carpet or console, if that is your concern.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826