Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Boost Engineer

Personally I would be nervous of doing that with a long oil line going 20 feet under the car with lots of opportunities for stuff to hit the line and either crush it or create a leak that drains all of your oil out of the engine without you knowing it.

The key thing except for pre-lubing the engine) is that you want to oil to immediately go to the engine if you drop oil pressure (like in a turn). Having the tank in the trunk basically does nothing for you in that deal as far as "fast reacting".

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The key thing except for pre-lubing the engine) is that you want to oil to immediately go to the engine if you drop oil pressure (like in a turn). Having the tank in the trunk basically does nothing for you in that deal as far as "fast reacting".
Yeah, I know every time I turn the kitchen faucet on I have to wait for the pipe from the water company to fill up again.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendutro View Post
Yeah, I know every time I turn the kitchen faucet on I have to wait for the pipe from the water company to fill up again.
You live in Flint, Michigan? The river flows kind of slow up there, I am told

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got my Accusump today. Thanks Hill461!

One more quick question. Has anyone successfully used the 22-566 sandwich adapter plate they recommend for our cars? I'm just wondering if I should be ready for fitment issues or modifications to make it work, or if its going to spin right on between the filter housing and the filter and be done with it?

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...D-2-58-O-RING/

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 03-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
Has anyone mounted theirs in the trunk?
Not a good thing. If the tank is in the trunk, it will just take up space where the broken engine parts will need to go when the engine's guts are scattered all over the highway.

You want the "REPLACEMENT" oil supply volume to get to the engine immediately if there is a drop in oil pressure to the bearings. Mounting the accusump tank in the trunk would be a very bad idea. Too slow to respond to a drop in oil pressure in the engine. Require you to buy a bunch of extra oil every oil change, possibly overfill the oil pan if you forgot to trap the oil in the accusump tank on shutdown or the electric valve failed, etc.

Some say that mounting the accusump tank up by the headlights near the radiator core support is too far away from the engine oil pump. In the trunk area would be way worse.

Tom V.

I apologize for adding humor to my post.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Not a good thing. If the tank is in the trunk, it will just take up space where the broken engine parts will need to go when the engine's guts are scattered all over the highway.

You want the "REPLACEMENT" oil supply volume to get to the engine immediately if there is a drop in oil pressure to the bearings. Mounting the accusump tank in the trunk would be a very bad idea. Too slow to respond to a drop in oil pressure in the engine. Require you to buy a bunch of extra oil every oil change, possibly overfill the oil pan if you forgot to trap the oil in the accusump tank on shutdown or the electric valve failed, etc.

Some say that mounting the accusump tank up by the headlights near the radiator core support is too far away from the engine oil pump. In the trunk area would be way worse.

Tom V.

I apologize for adding humor to my post.
Tom. I certainly appreciate your input here. I called Canton earlier in the day asking them specifically about this. They said it was completely fine and the trunk was a very normal place for guys to mount them. If it was a problem I would hope a reputable company like Canton wouldnt recommend poor mounting locations? I guess my thoughts on it are that, if there's pressureized oil in the line I don't see how it can be any faster to react if the accusump is mounted closer? As far as mounting the sump in front, it seems like it would almost be a wash with line length?

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
Old 03-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post
...... I guess my thoughts on it are that, if there's pressureized oil in the line I don't see how it can be any faster to react if the accusump is mounted closer? ...
I have to agree with you on this. The line size and the fitting size where it enters the engine would be the limiting factors, I would think, not the length of the line.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
I have to agree with you on this. The line size and the fitting size where it enters the engine would be the limiting factors, I would think, not the length of the line.

Jim
This is correct. Keep in mind that friction loss in a longer line can be mitigated with a larger line. Also, in case of valve failure, the longer line would not make any difference in overfilling the engine, as the longer line would not be emptied.

Last edited by cosgrove; 03-24-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:23 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosgrove View Post
This is correct. Keep in mind that friction loss in a longer line can be mitigated with a larger line. Also, in case of valve failure, the longer line would not make any difference in overfilling the engine, as the longer line would not be emptied.
1) Agree with that statement as once the piston came to rest then the additional oil in the line also comes to a rest as there will be no syphon effect with the closed circuit. I stand corrected.

2) I assumed that the tank being mounted higher would allow the oil to flow into the pan forgetting that it is a trapped system and the oil is only moving from location to location.

3) Bleeding the air out of the thing the first time should not be a big deal with the bleed line submerged in a container of oil. No air bubbles and pressure on the air side of the piston and you are good to go.

Tom V.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you mount it in the trunk, you will need to come up with a procedure to bleed air out of the long hose (or prefill it with oil before hooking it up). Otherwise the "oil side" of the accumulator will still have that 15 feet of air somewhere in it and the fluid delivered back to the engine will be air or oil or an unpredictable mix of the two.

If you can get all of the air out of the long hose and you can protect the hose run from road hazards, then it will work.

On the Grocery Getter, we mounted it to the front of the front motor plate, so the hose to feed the engine was only about 2 feet long.

Hope this helps,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 03-26-2016, 04:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree, Eric, everyone is assuming that there is no air in the long line.

The engine leaks air into the oil gallery as soon as the engine stops and the lifters stop moving. If the oil gallery is connected to the oil tank and 20 ft oil line then there has to be a valve that traps the oil in the tank and line before the engine is shut down each time. Maybe a nice sign, "Turn the feed line valve to the reservoir off before shutting down the Engine" or they get a electric valve that will never fail to seal, (Right).

Tom V.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There will be an electric valve. I'll probably actuate it with a 20 lb pressure switch and have an override toggle to pre lube, refill it and bleed it

- Build Thread
Old 03-26-2016, 07:18 PM
Boost Engineer

You will probably need to wire the control valve in a very specific way to do what you are trying to do. Jim (2oldgoats), OMT (Jim Taylor), and others could help you with that deal I am sure. Unless you have installed a similar system on other cars in the past.

Tom V.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW, more people use these than I would have thought.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:26 AM
Boost Engineer

Pretty common and really not that expensive of a device but the "Extra Stuff" (shut-off valves, proper lines, possible adaptors, etc) can add to the total cost at the end of the day and then you need a place to mount the Accusump.

That unit is well made with a very clean bore tube. A Aluminum piston with a oil "O-Ring" on each end. The End Caps screw on and also have a "O-Ring" on each cap.
The End Caps are drilled and tapped for a large feed hose thread to the engine on one end and a air pressure gage on the other end. And they have nice mounting hardware.

A good insurance policy if the engine has a reduced oil pressure/volume at high rpm in the lights, then the accusump adds back the extra oil to keep the engine alive. Same deal with the launch.

Tom V.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dry sump oil tank on the Late Model car I picked up is on the chassis right behind the driver's seat so a fairly long hose.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Dry sump oil tank on the Late Model car I picked up is on the chassis right behind the driver's seat so a fairly long hose.
Agree, EXCEPT that a Dry Sump tank goes directly to the oil pump (with possibly a screen filter in between). No valve to forget to turn on or leak air. No air in the system line from the tank to the pump, etc. Scavenge pumps pull the oil from everywhere and put it back into the tank removing trapped air in the oil/ lines at the same time.

Tom V.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While i am not disagreeing with canton, I do not see how an 80 psi charge pushing a 15 foot column of oil can respond as quickly as a 3 foot column of oil in the lines. Will it work?, I am sure it will. Will it work as well as a "shorter" line I'd be surprised.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
While i am not disagreeing with canton, I do not see how an 80 psi charge pushing a 15 foot column of oil can respond as quickly as a 3 foot column of oil in the lines. Will it work?, I am sure it will. Will it work as well as a "shorter" line I'd be surprised.
I think only a fluids engineer could say for sure, but I think the supplier would know from experience if long lines wouldn't work (complaints from customers). Friction and orifice size would be the determining factors, I suspect,and a larger line could cure that. My biggest concern for lines running to the trunk area would be maintaining their physical integrity with careful routing.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 03-28-2016, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys are assuming I'm going to mount the switch/solenoid on the accusump. My thoughts were to mount the switch/solenoid on the filter housing using the sandwich adapter. The line would always be pressurized. The only thing between the accusump/pressurized oil and the engine would be a tiny barrier in the solenoid thereby negating any difference line length.

- Build Thread