Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

original fulls.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=689581

Not sure but the timing just seemed so right, and the price is just in my budget with the tax refund coming. I am sure this will be the right way to go for me. I hope.

I told my wife how much they cost, but not the shipping part yet.
Plus I will have to rent a pickup probably to pick them up at Grehyhound in Youngstown once they arrive.

although if I could do a road trip to CA someone has a roller no rust for like $850 (listed here I think)

Thanks,
Russ

Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well, so much for that deal. Thanks to some others here I have decided that I need to go another direction right now. No, I am not getting rid of the Lemans. Just attacking it from a different angle. :-)
Probably for the best.
Thanks all, I really appreciate it.
Russ

Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
well, so much for that deal. Thanks to some others here I have decided that I need to go another direction right now. No, I am not getting rid of the Lemans. Just attacking it from a different angle. :-)
Probably for the best.
Thanks all, I really appreciate it.
Russ
Are you saying the deal fell through with the quarters?

Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you get hold of a new body ??

Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did the deal fall through? Well, sort of. I decided with some help that buying those wasn't the right thing to do.
As far as another body, looks like that deal has fallen through also, the person I was going to get the body from had a deal for another body he wanted that fell through, so ripple effect.

The last 24 hours has been one heck of an emotional roller coaster ride, but I think I am back to where I was before all this started. Needing to learn how to weld. :-)

Thanks,
Russ

Old 02-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No worries Russ, just give it time, it will for sure be all right

Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks.
Back to plan A.
Russ

Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 PM

http://staceydavid.com/articles/blog...ng-safety-3997 some welding info

Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thanks for that link. Lots of good stuff there.
Russ

Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, good and bad news.

Good news is if I can drag myself out of bed early tomorrow I am going to the Praxair in Youngstown before I go to work to get a bottle of 75/25 so I can start using the mig.

Bad news is I called Summit to order the goodmark trunk floor panel(the $119 one) and the Tallmadge store is out. I have to pick it up, shipping (truck freight) would be way too expensive. So I have to wait a bit on that. I have sent an email to see if I can go ahead and order it now, because my money always seems to evaporate.

But that should give me some time to learn\practice welding.

And I should be able to pick up a couple 50# bags of Black Beauty for the sand blaster.

Saturday I have to get up early and drive to Elyria Ohio. I bought some Explorer stuff from a guy there, and he couldn't sell some other stuff and offered it to me for free. Hard to beat that.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Senior Chief

Russ,
you may want to check out Mill Supply in cleveland, their web address is : www.rustrepair.com. Might be able to pick up the trunk panels there.
Sounds like you are gonna be in my neck of the woods saturday.
Craig

Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for that link. I've sent them an email asking about it.

I am going to the Lorain County airport. The guy I am getting this stuff from rents a hanger there for his car stuff. He is a retired banker/pilot. Must be nice.

Russ

Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Senior Chief

Thats funny, you will passing my house on way there. I live about a mile before airport.
Craig

Old 02-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Will be driving by there about 1pm. Wave.

Well, plans have changed just a bit. Well, alot for now.
I was wasting time on Ebay last night after the rep at Summit said to wait til the end of the month to order the trunk floor. Bad move. I found something else that I need for the car and decided to get that. It's a Lincoln MKVIII electric 2speed radiator fan. Yes, I need the metal more right now, but at least I know I have this and hopefully the trunk floor pans aren't going away anytime soon.

Well, still could get either the pan or the mig gas. Decided on the mig gas. Then waking up today I realised that I am really not ready to get it. Nowhere to properly store it in the garage. So I end up buying a Hobart mig cart from TSC, 100# of blasting stuff, and a blasting hood. The welder has just been sitting unused on a shelf for the last couple of years. I also wanted to go thru it and make sure it still works before spending $200 on gas.

Ok, have almost enough to still get the pan. However wife says what I have left is all I can spend. So I happen to open my email and there is one from Eastwood telling me about a sale. So I go on there, and buy an electric shear that cuts up to 18gauge and the wide vicegrip style panel flanger.

At least this way I will actually have some of the proper tools to do the sheet metal when the time comes. I really hope the shears work like advertised. It sounds a heck of a lot better than using a grinder, sawzall, or jigsaw.

I am looking at .025 welding wire. Lincoln's 2 pound is $2 cheaper at Lowe's than the Hobart's at TSC. Anyone have a recommendation which to go with. Remember, first time welder.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM

best cutter I have see is the air saws...

I had the 9$ one from harbor freight die on me...

I think I am going to go big on my next one...

http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

or
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Pro-Grad...857464&sr=1-17

Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Those both look good. If I had my own compressor I might go with more air tools.
But the shears take me back to my kindergarten days and learning to use scissors. :-)
Russ

Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM

russ i think the harbor freight would be ok ,you just have to keep oil in it as the air from a compressor has water. they work good and you dont have a lot of grinding dust from a cutoff wheel. the hf one comes with some saw blades. on mikes car i have gone thru a lot of cutoff wheels. you just have to drill a hole to start the saw blade..one thing we did in fitting the rear quarter was to put the replacement on over the old one and clamp it on with cleco fasterners. sawed thru both at the same time which left a narrow fitting edge to weld together. the saw left a perfect match by doing this..good luck

Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks.
I got the shears yesterday, hoping to try them out on something (?) this weekend just to see how they work.
The hf cutter is a possibility as well. The shears won't cut everything I need to cut. Sawzalls are fun, but I am not very accurate with them.
Russ

Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I love these shears. Tried it out on some 22 gauge I picked up at TSC, seriously easy.
Then I tried a spot on the trunk floor that is still attached, same thing.
Looking forward to using them for real soon.
The only downside is the width of the cut, but that is described in the eastwood catalog, so I was expecting it. Doubt if that will be an issue for me anyway.
Russ

Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I ordered the trunk floor http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMK-4032-725-68/ and also the bucket seat floor brackets http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GMK-4031-507-66S/ today from Summit. Will be about 2 weeks before they show up at the Tallmadge store. No shipping cost! Only way I could do this. Had a $25 off coupon if I spent at least $150, the brackets were the right price to just get over that amount and still be something I need soon. As opposed to say the canister fuel filter I was going to get. Won't really need that for a bit. Maybe a couple of bits. :-)

I had almost decided to go to Tractor Supply to get some argon/co2 gas for the mig, but for the money they want I can pretty much get twice the size from Praxair, I just have to go there one of these days before I go to work. Not as convenient, but I decided that I'd rather have more for the same money instead. So that will be another month or so probably. Once I have the floor in hand, that will motivate me to get started with the welder.

Thanks,
Russ