Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Default Alternator Bracket - 70 head on 77 engine

I am putting a set of heads from 1970 onto my 1977 400. The heads I am installing do not have the top hole for the alternator bracket required on the 77 400. Does anyone know someone who makes a bracket for that purpose? This is discussed in Jim Hand's book but wondered if someone manufactures them instead of me trying to fabricate them. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I installed the #13's on my '76 I didn't have the bolt hole either. When you bolt the bracket up install the alternator mount bolt through the bracket from the motor side first and then use a nut on the out end to hold it all together. Not need for a new bracket.

HTH, Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 02-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf'sDad View Post
When I installed the #13's on my '76 I didn't have the bolt hole either. When you bolt the bracket up install the alternator mount bolt through the bracket from the motor side first and then use a nut on the out end to hold it all together. Not need for a new bracket.

HTH, Stewart
I did it this way almost when installing #16's on my 76 bolck.. I just didn't reverse the bolt direction. Worked fine for years this way.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I fit and welded a nut into the bracket and put the bolt in from the front. Have since gone to the earlier style brackets