Old 11-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Senior Chief

Default Swapped out my original power steering box!

Yesterday the aluminum adapters I ordered came in the mail, to convert the 1996 jeep GC close ratio power steering box to use the original inverted flare PS hose ( these boxes use o-ring fittings). , removed the original PS box pulled the pitman arm, reinstalled it on the "new" PS box & bolted it in, I did replace the rag joint with a new one for early 70's chevy truck , the original will not fit the new PS it took roughly 1 hour for the swap. It is a night. & day deference in the steering & handling !!!!!
Steering is now a lot firmer, more road feel. If you have been considering this upgrade for ur car & drive to a lot...... DO IT!!
I pulled the box myself from a pic a part yard
I have around $90.00 total in the swap.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool J. V.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice mod.
Something I mean to do this winter on one of my cars. What is the trick to placement of the old pitman arm on the new box? Any mods to the PS pump? I thought I was told I had to modify the flow rate of the pump somehow for the GC box. Where did you get the adapters from? Sorry for the inquisition lol..

Old 11-22-2013, 02:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need a pressure valve from a 70 and later model car. If I remember correctly the 69-earlier pressure valve was rated at 900psi and the later is 1300 psi. The Jeep box likes the later 1300psi piece. It's a very easy fix.

I did the conversion in my 67' last year and it has to be the best low buck mod of all time. 12.7 steering for 75-100 bucks when aftermarket stuff is 500-800 dollars?? Ill go JGC every time.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 11-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did the Jeep swap a few weeks back but have not driven it yet. Easy swap. Only problem I ran into was getting the pitman arm back on far enough. I installed a new arm and it was a very tight fit. Stripped a few nuts. in the process. I didn't go the junkyard swap route-purchased a rebuilt box from an autoparts store for about $130. Mine is not 2.7 turns to lock. Seems to be about 3. Lee manufacturing makes the adapters for the power steering lines plus the tool to insect the adapters. I haven't modified the pump yet as I've been told it often works ok with the existing one.
If it doesn't I'll do the mod.

You have to center the steering box prior to the installation of the pitman arm. Count the number of turns from end to end divide by 2 and install at that location. The arm can be clocked at 4 positions and is a tapered fit. It gets torqued to 140 ft. lbs. If you go into the Suspension section there are several threads.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do these Jeep boxes allow the same turning radius as the original? I put a NAPA Z-28 Camaro box on my '64 GTO. Steering is precise and quick and these newer boxes are all variable ratio, but I lost A LOT of turning radius compared to the original box. The plus (besides the quick, precise, and variable ratio) is the tires don't rub on the inner fender when steering is all the way left or right.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Do these Jeep boxes allow the same turning radius as the original? I put a NAPA Z-28 Camaro box on my '64 GTO. Steering is precise and quick and these newer boxes are all variable ratio, but I lost A LOT of turning radius compared to the original box. The plus (besides the quick, precise, and variable ratio) is the tires don't rub on the inner fender when steering is all the way left or right.
The stops for the Jeep box should be compatible for A body cars.