Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default TKO use a stock bellousing?

If I install a TKO600 should I use a scattershield or will the stock bell be fine? Those that have converted to TKO what did YOU use?
Thanks,Trent

Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if your just going to drive it the stock bell is OK.If your going to race and power shift it I would use a steel flywheel with a McLeod scatter shield bell.JMO,Tom

Old 01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by theYman View Post
Those that have converted to TKO what did YOU use?
Thanks,Trent

I bought a Lakewood bell housing for mine.

Charles

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went with a Lakewood with my TKO-600. Like any other aftermarket part, there can be a necessity to modify it to fit. I had to machine out the hole in the block plate so that it would fit over the crank hub. I had to use some offset dowel pins to get the correct alignment. The Tremec's have a much tighter tolerance with regard to run out than the factory 4-speed did. The run out for the TKO-600 is .005" or less. I also had to grind on it a little where it was interfering with my clutch rod.

I've read recently that the Mcleod's might be a better bet. If you're making any kind of power and/or have any intentions to engage in performance driving, be it drag racing, road course of just hard street driving, a scattershield is cheap insurance if you would like to keep your feet in the unlikely event that you grenade your clutch. I believe an aftermarket steel flywheel is a must as well in any performance application. A quality clutch goes without saying.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 01-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
The run out for the TKO-600 is .005" or less.
Just so people aren't confused about the run out. It's .005" from the center to one side, and .010" overall. I had a run out of .004 divided by 2 = .002

The total run out cannot be over .010" divided by 2 = .005"

Hope this makes sense.

Charles

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.

Last edited by chuckies76ta; 07-21-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a lakewood bellshousing. Same one I was using on the muncie. I also used a SFI flywheel and a 11" CFDF clutch. everything works well with the stock clutch linkage and fork. Seems like I am using a longer throwout bearing than stock though.

My measured runout was .007 so used offset dowells to bring it within the .005. Charles is correct on the measurement I believe. I took the total dial indicator travel measured as he has shown and divided by two to find how far off center the register is from the centerline of the crank.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Just so people aren't confused about the run out. It's .005" from the center to one side, and .010" overall. I had a run out of .004 divided by 2 = .002

The total run out cannot be over .010" divided by 2 = .005"

Hope this makes sense.

Charles
Thanks for the clarification Charles. I should have been more precise in my post. With the offset dowel pins we were able to get the total run out to the same .004" that you achieved.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would believe that a stock housing is fine especially with street tires. I have known many running a stock housing even with some serious street abuse to their cars.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
If I install a TKO600 should I use a scattershield or will the stock bell be fine? Those that have converted to TKO what did YOU use?
Thanks,Trent
Ask yourself what your feet are worth, and you will arrive at the correct conclusion.

Also, if you have never driven one of the heavy duty Tremecs, I recommend you do so before taking the plunge. Very notchy shifting (read annoying), nothing as smooth as the Muncie if you like to bang gears....

Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have driven about every stick shift trans and the TKO is GREAT,just a diff feel than a rod shifted trans.You will like it.Tom

Old 01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Coupe View Post
Ask yourself what your feet are worth, and you will arrive at the correct conclusion.

Also, if you have never driven one of the heavy duty Tremecs, I recommend you do so before taking the plunge. Very notchy shifting (read annoying), nothing as smooth as the Muncie if you like to bang gears....
Actually, the sloppy shifting from a muncie is what I hate. I've driven several cars with muncies (new and worn out) and they all were sloppy; EVEN with a new shifter.
I'm sold on the TKO just not the price.
Trent

Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

y man, The tko is worth every penny!! It is hands down the best mod I've ever done to my car[69 fb 400 4 sp]. I did use a lakewood bell that I had to modify in several places, and use the mccleod adj. pivot ball. Its a little bit of a pain to get it the right length. After that just bolt everything back up. I've demolished three muncies in the ten years prior to installing it. and its taken some good abuse since it was installed.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I couldn't agree more with the previous poster. Yes, shifting an internal rail shifter is a much different feel than the old Muncie's and BW ST-10's. IMHO, different meaning MUCH better! I love my TKO-600 and feel it was the biggest bang for the buck of all of the improvements I've done to my car over the years.

It's mated up to a bullet proof Moser 12bolt with 36 spline axles and 3.73 gears. The 2.87 1st gear of the Tremec with the 3.73 rear gear absolutely rips your head off out of the hole. 2nd and 3rd are just as fun. 4th is one to one, but the .64 OD lets me cruise on the highway at 80 mph at 2300 rpm! It doesn't get much better than that, having the best of both worlds!

My only complaint about the Tremec is that after about 4000 miles the shifter vibrates and makes a buzzing sound when the rpm gets above 3000 rpm or so. I think I've seen some posts about this and it appears that it has more to do with the shifter than the trans itself. I couldn't find the post, but I recall that someone had a line on a much better shifter for the Tremec. If anyone recalls seeing that could you post the link?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 PM

If you're gonna beat on it much put an SFI rated Blowproof bell in it.

Your feet will love you for it.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen the Yman drive. Better get the explosion proof housing!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Customs View Post
I've seen the Yman drive. Better get the explosion proof housing!
OMG! Was it in the OLD videos I had posted ( I forgot about them from 1999) or was it in person? Maybe you're one of my neighbors? lol.
I am shopping for a scattershield....My car might be off of the road for awhile.$$$!
Trent

Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 PM

We have our eye on you!
Cleryville Homeland Security.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Bellhousing

I used the Mcleod scattershield on my Grand Am when I converted to the TKO 600. I had no issues when installed. The run out was spot on, and required no offset. The Mcleod shield has a reputation for being more precise, and that was true in my case. I also installed the Mcleod hydraulic T/O bearing kit, which I highly recommend. Mcleod allows you to swap to a different size bearing if needed based on your measuremnts if you need to, and they do not charge you for that swap. Overall, I have to say thier parts have always been top notch, as well as thier customer service. If you have the money, just use the scattershield. It's one less thing you need to worry about. One point about the TKO. I find the trans to be a bit notchy regarding the shift quality, but I am told that it gets beter with miles added. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Actually, the sloppy shifting from a muncie is what I hate. I've driven several cars with muncies (new and worn out) and they all were sloppy; EVEN with a new shifter.
I'm sold on the TKO just not the price.
Trent
If you have driven the TKO, and you powershifted it, and you liked the feel, by all means go for it. If you haven't, still recommned you do before investing all of that $$$.

If powershifting is not one of your driving habits, I agree you will probably be happy, and you will definately like the increase in MPG.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Coupe View Post
If you have driven the TKO, and you powershifted it, and you liked the feel, by all means go for it. If you haven't, still recommned you do before investing all of that $$$.

If powershifting is not one of your driving habits, I agree you will probably be happy, and you will definately like the increase in MPG.
I'm not a "power shifter"....after all I AM 41 yrs. old. lol.