Old 08-17-2015, 12:48 AM

Default 67 GTO value?

I looking at buying a 67 GTO locally. Solid rust free and complete but it has the low performace 2bbl 400 with #142 heads. Auto on the column. Gold with gold interior. Good body except itll need a passenger side quarter panel and taillight panel. It got hit by the guys dad on his tractor. A few small dents here and there but overall a good body. PS and A/C. Decent interior. He doesn't know if it runs or not. Clean title.What do you think its worth? Thx.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Consider this in the price. A tail light panel you can buy, but no one sells a quarter for the '67. Some of the '66 repro panel can be used with a large amount of labor. If that corner is crushed bad, you're going to need a corner from an original '67 quarter because the '66 panel won't help you.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:53 PM

Thx 4004spd. Does the low performance engine and column shift hurt the value? I know its a rare option but rare doesn't always mean valuable.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those things do hurt the value if your goal is to keep it stock. It also helps you on the negotiation. But on the flip side, in my opinion, I think swapping for a 4 barrel and going with a His-n-Hers will only increase the value.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since only 2,967 400-2bbl GTO were sold in 67. That says they were not a desirable model. Column shift in GTO is not a desirable option. Needing a right quarter and tail panel because of damage also brings it down significantly. Without a pics of the car it is difficult to asses. BTW mine was a 400 2bbl when it left the Pontiac Assembly plant. But it came with buckets and a console dual gate no A/C thankfully.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got

Last edited by kate`s67gto; 08-17-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 PM

Thx for the comments everyone. Like i said before, its a very solid, complete Nevada car with no rust at all. Never been painted either. Needs a complete resto but still alot better than most you find. Hes asking 5k for it. I think its well worth that right?

Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Even with the negatives you mentioned, it has some good things going for it being complete, solid and rust free. I don't think anyone would fault you for making it as you want it.
Value, I don't know. Where I live "rust free" is worth a lot, because we don't see it often.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 69 View Post
Thx for the comments everyone. Like i said before, its a very solid, complete Nevada car with no rust at all. Never been painted either. Needs a complete resto but still alot better than most you find. Hes asking 5k for it. I think its well worth that right?
At that price it would sell fast here.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast 69 View Post

Absolutely yes.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:54 PM

Put an OD trans, Qjet and SD ported heads on it and lay some rubber.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

5k is too much in my opinion for a '67 GTO 400 2bbl needing 1/4 replacement and tailpanel replacement. Get into it, most likely will need catwalk and usually some rust at the trunkfloor to inner wheelhouse joint. Thats how they been here for many years.
Over the years, have cut up several '67 GTO 400 2bbl column shift post cars. Passed 3 years ago on a '66 post GTO, 389 3spd. it needed a roof transplant, complete body and paint, interior replacement. 2K asking figure, it took months to sell.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know OPH....I think $5K is a very reasonable price for the car if it's truly 'rust free' original paint, etc. They are getting hard to find like that at any price.
Pics would help in this guessing game.
Definitely do the performance upgrades. I don't know anyone that wants a GTO with a two barrel setup unless they have one that needs nothing and they want to keep it original.
Even they WISH it was a 4bbl car...lol

Old 08-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, have bought way too many project and partscars out of W Texas, NM, CO. This GTO is a project, needs substantial metal and body work, and being a 400 2bbl car, the restoration market is next to nill, as a result, most of the 400 2bbl cars are turned into street machines. It is smart to buy them right, NM is not the northeast or Canadian market. Most project cars out this way, have not been garaged all their life. Usually the laquer paint is burnt off them to certain degrees, has been for years. Though the floors, doors and a lot of sheet metal looks relatively solid, there will rust issues in certain areas. The one big thing '64-67 A body's have going for them is there is minimal interior plastic, anything later and have to chase nice interior plastic.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Greg, have bought way too many project and partscars out of W Texas, NM, CO. This GTO is a project, needs substantial metal and body work, and being a 400 2bbl car, the restoration market is next to nill, as a result, most of the 400 2bbl cars are turned into street machines. It is smart to buy them right, NM is not the northeast or Canadian market. Most project cars out this way, have not been garaged all their life. Usually the laquer paint is burnt off them to certain degrees, has been for years. Though the floors, doors and a lot of sheet metal looks relatively solid, there will rust issues in certain areas. The one big thing '64-67 A body's have going for them is there is minimal interior plastic, anything later and have to chase nice interior plastic.
I believe we all understand that it is cheaper to buy a 67 done than to restore a 67 GTO. Although we don't get the satisfaction that goes with restoring your pride and joy of knowing you did it.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To get a good consensus on what it's worth, a few good photos are a must. I paid $5K for the '66 in my signature and it needs everything to be at the level most folks here would want it at. I know I'll be upside down in it if I ever get it done at all. On the other hand, as it is now, I think I could get $5K for it.
The OP's car of interest is probably in better shape than mine and definitely more complete.... but as I say, without pics, we're all just picturing something in our heads and the difference between what one guy is picturing and what another guy is seeing may be worlds apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z66front.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	405736  

Old 08-18-2015, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You say it needs a quarter and tail panel, and you need to get it running reliability, which means getting all the systems (e.g., brakes, A/C, cooling) up to snuff...5k turns into 10-12k pretty quickly…there will be some surprises, so I'd plan for a little more. Decide whether you'd be happy stopping right there and driving the car around like that…I think it would be fun and cool (reminds me of my high school car, half in primer and kind of ragged out, but I could drive it anywhere), and you could always get most of your money back if you wanted to sell it. Once you get into quality bodywork, paint, engine/drivetrain upgrades, wheels tires…that's where you'd get seriously upside down.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 PM

Sorry i don't have any photos of the car. I just looked at it for the first time a couple days ago. Ive bought and sold a number of 66-67 cars over the years. Its one of the better cars ive come across. Ive never bought a 2bbl car before. I will most definitely have to look it over much closer before i decide to pull the trigger on it. It seems very rust free. If i can get pics soon, i will post them. Thx again for the comments.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 67 GTO value?

If I read your post correctly this car is a solid rust free body correct, as for the quarter panel could a good body man repair it? when I started on my car my left quarter was full of mud from past damage, it needed a full replacement in my opinion but like the 67 that will never happen, the repo people cant recoup there money fast enough to make them, IMO change out the rear tail light panel and fix the quarter panel. good luck jd grim 66 gto

Old 08-20-2015, 02:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it got hit in the 1/4...... MAKE SURE THERE'S NO FRAME DAMAGE. Yes I'm yelling. My 67 got hit in the rear 1/4. It tore the stock frame to shreds.

That said a solid 67 for 5k seems decent. Who cares if it's a 2 barrel car. That stuff can be changed. If you were plan nine to modify it thats the best model to start with. Its a 0 guilt thING snice no one wants a 2barrel GTO in stock form.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23