Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default ARP lower end studs

It says I can't use my windage tray with these, will I be able to drill it out to make it fit? Why won't they work?

More doors = more love!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

what tray are you using? i have ARP main studs and have been able to use the factory tray(3/4 length) and the spotts louvered tray with no problems.

rex

69 GTO 11:66@114.17 all balls no bottle
406 d-port iron heads 3700lbs all steel
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting, you can always install a crankshaft scraper instead as a relatively inexpensive replacement option. Good luck! JD

Old 01-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Senior Chief

I was going to use the stock one, hadn't thought of using a crank scraper. I haven't ordered the studs yet because the ad said "not for use with windage tray", or something like that. What are the benefits of a crank scraper?

More doors = more love!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the part number of the ARP stud kit you want to use? As I recall, there are a few ARP stud kits that "fit" a pontiac. The kit I used had 4 special studs that had a smaller diameter threaded pilot end for mounting an aftermarket windage tray. These studs won't work with the stock windage tray. Short studs might allow the use of a stock tray that mounts to the stock threaded locations on the main caps.

For the system I used, the windage tray is clamped between the nut that holds the main cap, and a retaining nut that holds the windage tray. Clearance between the tray and rotating assy is gained by adding washers between the tray and main cap retaining nut. I used a Milodon windage tray and oil pan. The trick is then mounting the lower dipstick tube to the aftermarket tray.

If you find a pic of the studs I used, you'll see what I'm talking about.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25

Last edited by chiphead; 01-06-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The studs sit up higher than the old bolt heads and keep the stock tray from sitting flat on the mounting flats. I was able to relieve the windage tray where the studs contacted it without much problem.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly, the nuts are larger and prevent the tray from laying flat on the caps. Factory trays attach using bolts to the 2 & 4 main caps, and usually clearance (crank) isn't much of a factory concern. You can use a hardened washer between the tray & cap to get around this, but it then requires longer bolts.

Once the tray is past a certain distance from the crank, windage is so reduced that it's debatable if it has any positive effect. (Other than pan slosh).

Milodon (#81223 & #81224) makes main studs specifically for mounting aftermarket trays that are centered over the 2 & 4 caps. I believe ARP makes them too, but they don't have a specific reference for them in their' catalogs.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be