Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-20-2020, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta come out for clutch reconfig but boy it sure is pretty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	382D0F72-EF68-4915-9E63-2D188C806674.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	540653  

Old 06-14-2020, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well all the trim and bumpers are at the platers getting done. I had all the aluminum and stainless chrome plated because I don’t want the maintenance and I want it to shine. 3820 from bumper to bumper. Because of Corona they have a backlog so it will be about 8 months. I have pretty much reached the end of my abilities. The things left to do now are interior and paint which I will be having someone else do. I plan on having the car assembled and painted and then I will wire the car and plumb the fuel system and then send it to the upholstery shop. I figure it will take me about 3 1/2 years to pay for all that. One thing I am hung up on is the AC. Should I buy it now and let the body shop install the pieces that require special locations be done at the same time as assembly or should I just wait and do it myself? I am also still trying to figure out what to do about the radio. Any suggestions?

Old 06-15-2020, 10:00 AM
Boost Engineer

If you have never done a A/C System installation before, I would leave it to a Professional
as very easy with the high pressures involved to make a mistake and get hurt.
And if you leave out an important part then you can potentially have a component failure elsewhere. I had a A/C class at a college many years ago, and realized that the systems, even in the 60s were pretty complicated. The instructor, used to use freon each day after class to cool a beer for his drive on the way home. Probably thousands of cans of freon in the atmosphere due to Sam B. Think freon in those days was about a dollar per can.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Installing the A/C isnt any big deal, just more parts to install. Just follow the instructions. It only gets technical, when it comes to Evacuation and Charging. Dont install the Drier until you are ready to charge. Just cap off the fittings air tight, and have a Pro do the Charging. For sure do it while the inside of the firewall is bare. Be sure you use a good Firewall Insulation Pad.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For the clutch rod, use the Speed Direct kit:

https://www.speeddirect.com/index.php/rod-links

They Chevelle/El Camino one will work.

For the return spring, you can use a flat plate with a hole drilled in it with sheet metal screws on a frame location that works for you. You could probably just drill a hole in the frame, and dimple the opposite side of the hole for the spring.

You do realize you can bend the Canton dip stick tube right?

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-16-2020, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
For the clutch rod, use the Speed Direct kit:

https://www.speeddirect.com/index.php/rod-links

They Chevelle/El Camino one will work.

For the return spring, you can use a flat plate with a hole drilled in it with sheet metal screws on a frame location that works for you. You could probably just drill a hole in the frame, and dimple the opposite side of the hole for the spring.

You do realize you can bend the Canton dip stick tube right?

I got the braided flexible Oil Dipstick because the steel one had to have such and extreme bend to come up in the right place for the headers that you couldnt put the dipstick back in the tube once you pulled it out. I bought a hydraulic clutch setup from American Powertrain and am going to install it while I am paying for the chrome. Otherwise I am just stuck in the land of payments.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I am ahead of schedule on paying my chrome off so that means in about 4 months I will be able to start saving for the final bodywork and paint. If I can consistently save 444 a month I can have the money for the bodywork in 30 months which will put me right on time with my revised plan. I still have some nit picky things I will have to do and buy but I do see light. Didn’t want you to think I had vanished, just still plugging away

Old 08-24-2020, 06:48 AM
Senior Chief

Default A/C install

I did not go back very far to see if you said what way your going for your A/C but I'll go ahead and give a recommendation anyway. I installed my A/C in my 65 Lemans by myself and it took about 2 days. That was on a fully assembled car. I used vintage Air and their direction are simple enough that a dumb old Marine could figure it out. The system even uses the old heater controls that came with the car so there is no new stuff there that doesn't go with the car. There is the duct that is mounted under the dash that you can see. If you have an A/C car that had ports in the dash you would not even have that duct. Anyway, doing the install was actually pretty easy. They even give explicit directions to give the Mechanic that charges the system, I believe it said to tell him to put no "put no more than 1 lb. of coolant in the system" . He said he would put more in if it were up to him , I told him 1 lb. and we'll see if it needs more. 1 lb works great, it will freeze you out of there. Works great and they make it easy to do. JMHO

Old 08-24-2020, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk44 View Post
I did not go back very far to see if you said what way your going for your A/C but I'll go ahead and give a recommendation anyway. I installed my A/C in my 65 Lemans by myself and it took about 2 days. That was on a fully assembled car. I used vintage Air and their direction are simple enough that a dumb old Marine could figure it out. The system even uses the old heater controls that came with the car so there is no new stuff there that doesn't go with the car. There is the duct that is mounted under the dash that you can see. If you have an A/C car that had ports in the dash you would not even have that duct. Anyway, doing the install was actually pretty easy. They even give explicit directions to give the Mechanic that charges the system, I believe it said to tell him to put no "put no more than 1 lb. of coolant in the system" . He said he would put more in if it were up to him , I told him 1 lb. and we'll see if it needs more. 1 lb works great, it will freeze you out of there. Works great and they make it easy to do. JMHO
Thanks

Old 10-18-2020, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a quick update and poll. First off chrome is almost done and I will be going to pick it up in the next 2 months depending on whether the country is in chaos or not. Second and I need you guys opinion. The plan has always been for the car to be Silvermist Gray but I saw a truck on the lot a few days ago that has just stuck in my head. After showing it to my wife she wants me to paint the car this color hands down. It’s Shadow Gray Metallic. How do you guys think that would look with the factory dark blue interior?

Old 10-18-2020, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When do you actually plan on painting?If a ways off why decide today?She might see another color she likes even better!Tom

Old 10-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, I'm less a fan of modern metallic paints like the GM shadow gray metallic. I often find myself turned off by the very large flake size and tinted clear coat that is frequently used. I think I also just prefer the lighter shade of the silvermist gray. But hey, it's all just personal preference.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-18-2020, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
When do you actually plan on painting?If a ways off why decide today?She might see another color she likes even better!Tom
I agree with Tom. Both your wife and you may see something you like better down the road and want to go with that color. Painting does seem awhile off so make note of the paints you all like and decide when time comes to paint.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 10-18-2020, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The greys and some silvers leave a lot to be desired when it comes to any 'pop', are somewhat muted, in many cases you need some type of contrast to offset the color. Like a different roof color, or a rocker thick stripe.

Pin stripes work good too, you can do a black & blue, white & blue, or maybe a red & blue. Red & blue would work good if you plan to use redline tires.

With a blue interior, you are somewhat limited with colors for the exterior, for example, you can't do reds, it will clash.

I think the Blue Charcoal, Nightwatch, and Barrier Blue Poly the factor used was popular with the blue interiors, but imagine the turquoise shades would work too. Think White was also a popular choice with the blue interiors.

If you look at the '65 GTO colors, there was a Blue Charcoal that came with blue interiors, it has a fine metallic flake in it.

There are some newer GM colors that are grey metallic that have a slight blue tint to them, but having troubles finding an example at the moment. That would work, and the interior would pull more blue out of the exterior.

Maybe grab a swatch of interior material, and go up to a dealership and hold it up to colors you are considering, and see what it looks like. But I'm thinking a blue interior is going to limit some of your choices.

Just throwing it out there, thinking out loud. Color choice with this level of a build will make a difference, and you will pretty much have to live with it once it's painted. Take your time choosing. Be open to changes.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-18-2020, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m not at the stage to paint you are right but I’m taking polls now because there are so damn many colors to choose from that if anyone has any ideas we might as well start throwing them out now cause like someone else said, once it’s painted your committed. Silvermist Gray is a known commodity to me. My Lemans was that color. I even saw a Lexus that had a what I would call modern version of it on it. It’s just so damn hard deciding.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://davidsclassiccars.com/pontiac...automatic.html I like the looks of this one.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 Lemans View Post
I do like that one.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blue charcoal poly is my absolute favorite of the factory colors, and you hardly ever see it. Might be a bit too much blue going on if you have a blue interior, though.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-18-2020, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think if it comes down to a tie the wifes color will go on the car!Tom

Old 10-18-2020, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Blue charcoal poly is my absolute favorite of the factory colors, and you hardly ever see it. Might be a bit too much blue going on if you have a blue interior, though.
Actually it looks pretty damn good with the right color blue interior. This is what I was talking about. Options being thrown around. Who here has a car with blue interior and what color is your exterior?