Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:16 AM

Till the soil right up to the line and plant a garden, flowers vegetables whatever, if he cuts your garden call the police for destruction of property.

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
Old 05-03-2024, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am that neighbor, kind of. I mow about 10 feet of my neighbor's yard. But, he knows about it. A previous owner put up a 4 foot fence 10 feet inside his property line to allow me room for my car trailer. I told him I would keep it cut. I also told the latest owner that it is his property and he can move the fence or do what he wants. He is satisfied with the present arrangement. It was a different situation on my back property line when a new lower income subdivision was put it. As they staked off the small lots with wood pins I would drive a metal fence post down beside it. After people moved in and started using my property for their own I merely ran a string from one post to other and, for the most part it was respected. I had one neighbor say I put the string up to keep them out. But, I told him I put it up so I would not go onto his property. I have about 2 acres and the new houses were built on two tenths of an acre. I can walk my property line and listen to the people in their house talking.
Can you get your neighbor to sign a paper holding him responsible for anything that happens while he is on your property? And, you can cut down any threes or plants on your property. Another thought, can you plant a line of shrubbery on your side. I eventually planted a row of needle point holleys on my back line. No one wants to mess with them and the birds love the berries.

Old 05-03-2024, 03:12 PM

Going through a legal dispute right now, don't just assume the police/government will automatically be on your side. Make sure you address them upfront about everything. And be ready for them to be stupid anyway.

Old 05-03-2024, 09:04 PM

"A fence has to be 2ft away from line."
And be advised, at least around my home and probably most places, you are required to maintain that 2 feet or whatever the setback is. It's a foot here. Your neighbor will see you on "his" side of the fence and well...I wish you luck.

Old 05-04-2024, 05:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The code enforcement officer didnt show up. I think he knows exactly the conditions. So it's a civil matter and he does not want to get involved other than the neighbors spite fence being not put up to code,finished side towards me. The neighbors wife said township gave her permission to put it up finished side toward her.No they didnt code officer said on phone. Soo. I was thinking the garden idea. A friend is an excavator he is coming over.im thinking dump some top soil and make a ledge so his lawn tractor cant get over,little strange. What I'm trying to accomplish is keeping him off my property with as little $ and future maintenance. I'm 76 sooo. If he and would just do as I ask it would be easy. He foesnt seem to want to talk reasonable.,his wife I'm thinking.That's why I'm thinking they are trying to do an adverse possession.

Old 05-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did they put up a fence two feet from the property line? I don't remember reading how long your property line is, but I would still plant a row of Holley bushes if it were my property. I put a row of them in many years ago and have done nothing to them since. Cedars would grow taller but the initial expense could be a deal breaker.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes they put up a fence,it is short about 12ft. From their pine trees to garage. Code says finish sude towards me. When they were putting it up. I said finished side has to be towards me. She said no township said it was ok rough side towards me. Then they put hooks on my side then put their ladders on the hooks.They need to come onto my property to get the ladders. I know I sound very petty. She did not tell me the truth. My insurance company is saying no
chances of liability. If they would they just stay on their side like 90 % of people do. I never go over on their side. We use to talk now we dont. I know one reason, she does not want to live there he does.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want a hedge that no one will get near, barberry. We used to have kids that cut thru my dad's property when I was a kid. He planted barberry hedges around the perimiter of our property, and no one in their right mind would try to get near them.

They have stickers about 3/4 of an inch all over them. The bad part is trimming them, your arms will look like you got in a fight with a pissed off bobcat. My dad finally got the trimming part figured out. He just hit them with a hedge trimmer, used a leaf rake to get the trimmings out of the hedges, then ran a mower over the trimmings so you didn't have to handle them.

The plants are hardy, and grow pretty fast.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-05-2024, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The land we recently bought in TN is 32 acres bounded on three sides by road, one six acre lot shares this "country block" with us .... the owner lives in his van. I plan to buy him out and then our entire 38 acres will be bounded by county roads on all sides.

I'm thinking the roads will suffice as a definitive property line. 3/4 of it is already fenced by five lines of barbed wire, we'll enclose the rest when we get the adjacent property.

Old 05-06-2024, 07:44 PM

Hello,

Just some info , if your excavating buddy adds too much dirt or you end up with a berm you could unknowingly be changing the water run off or drainage of you and your neighbors properties .
Which could cause you the problems with the locals instead. Maybe the thorn type bushes would be less trouble ? But I am in the Chicago suburbs and they make a problem out of everything!
I hope you get it resolved.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Yes they put up a fence,it is short about 12ft. From their pine trees to garage. Code says finish sude towards me. When they were putting it up. I said finished side has to be towards me. She said no township said it was ok rough side towards me. Then they put hooks on my side then put their ladders on the hooks.They need to come onto my property to get the ladders. I know I sound very petty. She did not tell me the truth. My insurance company is saying no
chances of liability. If they would they just stay on their side like 90 % of people do. I never go over on their side. We use to talk now we dont. I know one reason, she does not want to live there he does.
you are NOT being petty in my opinion. Finished side always go towards the neighbor. the fact you can see the ladders would piss me off to no end. and the fact they have to come on your property to get them...i like burds idea plant lots and lots of poison ivy, oak, sumac etc.. after dealing with an adverse possession myself its all fair game. wish you were closer i would love to play games with these d-bags.

Old 05-07-2024, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to do what auto shops do. Put up a sign on your side of the property that says due to insurance regulations entry upon on your property is forbidden. Send him a certified letter that says you and your insurance company bears no responsibility if he is hurt whilst on your property. Then, let him cut all the grass he wants to. As to adverse possession that has no bearing or relevance in this case. If YOU know he is cutting your grass then he cannot claim anything. That law is more for someone taking care of a derelict property over many years, without the owners knowledge. There is a min time something like 20 yrs? at that time the person taking care of things can stake a claim.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys gave me ideas that I hadn't thought about.

Old 05-09-2024, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Move

You - like all of us - have a limited
amount of time left here.

Do you really want to use it dealing
with this this issue ?

If you are not willing to post signs
and let it go at that - perhaps you
should consider moving somewhere
else and selling or renting your home.

Yes - " You shouldn't have to " ....

But this seems to be something
that is part of perhaps a larger
issue that has no other satisfactory
resolution for you.

Jim

Old 05-09-2024, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I helped build this home. I physically pull water out of the well to help my dad lay the block. 2 fireplaces that I helped lay. So I have attachment that money cant buy. I'm going deal with the issue without trouble.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

SDBob;
Barberry plants are a GREAT idea as a solution to your problematic neighbor.
As Sirrotica already posted; they are hardy, grow pretty fast and nobody in their right mind wants to go near them after the first encounter. They overwinter well, deer pretty much leave them alone and they are nice to look at.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:28 PM

I can feel your pain man,

about 7 years ago I bought an old salvage yard, with 4 steel buildings sitting on 60 acres, in an enclaved forest between two medium sized towns. its about 10 acres cleared and 50 acres of woods. but the 4 buildings are about 200 ft from the road and visible from it.

That used to be the biggest yard in the area and had been there since the 60s. when I bought, I cleaned it up, recycled all the metal left on site and cars carcasses. I decontaminated the soil and its my pre retirement pet project.

My issue is despite my fences, is with dirt bikes, ATVs, thieves , vandals of all sorts that come on my land like if it was theirs on a regular basis, Obviously I am not always there and 60 acres is hard to fence completely especially the forest part.

I have a decent alarm system linked to the police station (which is a 5 minutes drive away), about 16 Cameras running off two separate operating cellular networks and IP recorders,.

Dealing with all those people using my land , try to open my building doors etc... is driving me nuts , I can even see those "people " live on camera sometimes.

Local police has been super supportive and arrested couple people already but its amazing how people will disrespect signages that clearly says not to enter on this private property. Some even see the cameras and just cover their faces as they walk by the cameras.

Its ever so tempting to "fix" those issues with a baseball bat or worse... but I always have come back to my senses so far...

Good luck !
Peter

Last edited by besserspat; 05-09-2024 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:37 AM
Senior Chief

Default Fences make good neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I helped build this home. I physically pull water out of the well to help my dad lay the block. 2 fireplaces that I helped lay. So I have attachment that money cant buy. I'm going deal with the issue without trouble.
Bob we all have time and money invested in our homes with personal attachments. I know how you feel.
I have an acre just outside the city limits of a once small town in Texas. The town has built up around me and so have the city folks.
My neighbors to the right side of me used to be nice people and we got along. They are from a big city is south Texas.
They have crape myrtles planted on the property line and they encroach on my side and make a hell of a mess on my side of the property. They have been there for ten years now and have never trimmed them. I just let it go as they are not really bothering me. If they start to rub on my carport I will trim them.
two years ago I had a dumpster dropped on my side of the property close to the line. In doing so the dumpster broke one of the branches on their Crape Tree. No Pund. The wife next door went ballistic and started yelling at me
calling me an ass hole and said other things I cannot repeat. Said I should have told them to trim their trees back. The nerve. They are grown adults and should manage their trees if they don't want encroaching branches' broken. Now we are on a different foot with these neighbors. The old guy on the other side died about a year ago. The family sold the house to people from the city that have never lived in the country. The other day they were talking about building a fence and hooking it to mine. I had to politely inform them that my fence was not built out to the property line and they could not attach their fence to mine. They are used to being in the city where the fences are pushed to the lines.
Point to all this is people are living in their own little world and think they have the right and really don't know any better.
I now will have to re-think my fence and will be putting it up to the property line back 6 inches to avoid future problems with them.
Good fences make good neighbors. The saying is true.
Sometimes you have to build a fence before they do to keep it legal so to speak.
I think you will have to bite the bullet and put up a good fence on that side whether it be cinder block, metal poles and wood, chain linked or an electric fence if you had say a couple of Goats on your property. Pund intended.
I think that is the only thing that is going to make you happy in this situation.
Good luck fellow GTO enthusiast.
hope this works out for you.

White/Black 70 RAIII T/A M21/373 (stripper)
Carousel Red/Black 69 GTO Judge 4 Sp
2002 Firehawk Red/Black 6Sp
Old 05-10-2024, 11:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

junipers also work - just awful but bulletproof to wildlife, winter and just about anything

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 05-10-2024, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

People suck...entitlement flourishes...common sense is gone. Sad situation we live in now.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400