Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:14 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Yes but they recommended using a Lee filter with a internal by pass that is not even available anymore.
I am not even sure if we have available paper filters with a built in by pass these days. Maybe we do but I am no fan of blocking the PMD by pass.
Dirty oil is better than no oil.
I AM ALL SET ON FILTERS, I bought a case of the Lee filters, years ago,
and that will cover me for good filters for my vehicles.
No need for other "Alternatives" for the oiling system.

Kind of like the 100 quarts of oil. No worries.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Among the roughly 1.4 billion cars & trucks currently on the road worldwide, I'd wager the percentage of those vehicles that have the oil filter pre-filled during oil changes is less than 1%, and probably significantly less than 1%. It isn't going to hurt anything to pre-fill, so go for it if it makes you feel good, but there is no real data out there supporting it. At the end of the day, cars are routinely driven hundreds of thousands of miles without pre-filling the oil filters. That's really all the evidence I need. There are more important things to worry about.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 10-11-2022 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Now I’m scared to pour oil in the valve cover much less the filter I’m going to start using a paint funnel before I pour it in. ��
You need to steam clean the engine bay before pouring oil to prevent contamination.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I worked with a guy who never pre filled his oil filter. Actually, he never changed it either, or his oil for that matter. Just added whatever oil he could scrounge when it got low. Had the car for years until he wrecked it. Still ran. May have been the original oil filter!

The arguments over oil related topics amaze me.
Yes, I alway pre fill, who cares.

Last edited by misterp266; 10-11-2022 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Typo
The Following User Says Thank You to misterp266 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holy Snikees 4 pages.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
I worked with a guy who never pre filled his oil filter. Actually, he never changed it either, or his oil for that matter. Just added whatever oil he could scrounge when it got low. Had the car for years until he wrecked it. Still ran. May have been the original oil filter!

The arguments over oil related topics amaze me.
Yes, I alway pre fill, who cares.
We had a F@*d Guy who was pi$$ed off at the dealer on a lease vehicle.
Drove the car for 40,000 miles over 3 years and never touched the oil in the pan from day 1.

It still ran when he turned the car in with what would be 4 LARGE Trash Bags
of pop and beer cans laying loose on the floorboards, seats, trunk.

Prefill for me.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:31 PM

I'm not a smart man but many years ago as a young lad I noticed that if I didn't prefill the filter, the oil light came on for about 8 seconds when first starting after oil change. If I prefilled the filter the oil light came on for only about 2 seconds. i think this was in my 1972 Pinto so who cares? As someone stated earlier, 'dirty' oil is better than no oil. Carry on with the blah blah blah!

Old 10-12-2022, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
You need to steam clean the engine bay before pouring oil to prevent contamination.
What are you doing? You just spread it around is all. It's even in the air now. Move it into a clean room and start all over. Diminishing returns are tedious indeed, but fret not. You can stop once all the microscopic grit is gone knowing it was a job well done. (Might have a mental breakdown even thinking about that drain plug)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	600299  

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2022, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Really?? New cars have now went back to the old canister filters like we had in the 50's and 60's?? Wow that seems like a step back. Interesting.
You know, I thought the same thing. Now 7-10 years later, I kind of like them. Generally easy to change because most are on top of the engine. Less waste. On the down side, I have had multiple cars come into my shop for oil changes. I open the canister and there was NO OIL FILTER element in the housing!!. At some point, a quick lube or other shop figured out they could save 5 bucks by taking out the old element and put nothing back in. BTW, the canister oil filter on modern engines was a pet project of Al Gore when he was in office. Idea was to reduce waste oil in land fills.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I kind of like the idea. Now you don't have to worry about crappy filter casings, valves, seals and threads ... you just have to worry about crappy filter media

Old 10-12-2022, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 53 Chev 235 Powerglide 6 had a canister filter mounted on the intake manifold and my 55 Buick Special had a canister filter. No one that I knew ever pre filled those.

041 cam with Rhoads lifters 1.65 rockers
RPM rods
800 Cliffs Q Jet on Holley Street Dominator
ST-10 4 speed (3.42 first)
w 2.73 rear gear

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

469th TFS Korat Thailand 1968-69 F-4E Muzzle 2
Old 10-12-2022, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Yep. My wife’s Camaro has a canister type oil filter.
Yes, both my 07 Volvo solid lifter S40 and my 07 Tundra have canister style filters. The Tundra is kinda a pain as you have to take off a big sheet metal engine shield to get to the filter. The cap of that thing is plastic, at least that protects the threads in the block. I guess.
Still like a spin on filter with a bolt on adapter. At least you can bolt on a new adapter if the male filter threads get booger-ed up.
On the Tundra getting to the filter was such a pain I tried changing the filter every other oil change a couple times. But on close inspection you could see some extra gunk at the bottom of that filter so I quit doing it.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:48 PM

The oil bath filter in my '65 VW required pre filling.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Modern canister full-flow filters are great. I have 3 vehicles with them. Definitely less waste oil gets thrown in the trash AND filter inspection is easier, as there's no can to cut open.

Yeah, you can't prefill those as there's a valve in the bottom of the housing which drains the oil when unscrewing the cap.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd0n88 View Post
The oil bath filter in my '65 VW required pre filling.
That would be an AIR filter. Nothing to do with the motor oil filters we're talking about here.

Or was that a joke which went over my head?

Old 10-12-2022, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The thing is, there are manufactures that recommend against it, no one that makes engines, or filters recommends it be done, so I guess everyone that fills them is going against what the people that manufacture the engines, and filters say, is proper protocol.

I was the messenger, I found a man that makes his living as a mechanic that spoke about it in his videos, and gave his reasons. (I wonder if any of the objectors actually watched the video I linked to). I think the reasons are valid, especially since I made my living as a mechanic for 55 years doing what he does. I think in that time period I have seen many more circumstances that the prefill isn't needed, and in certain scenarios could cause damage.

Just as he said, in his comments section, every time he shows not prefilling a filter on his videos, the comment section goes crazy, well from this experience, he is 100% right.

Same deal when I mention reasons for using a by pass oil filter, the place erupts, I have to laugh at how triggered certain people are over such a small thing....

Funny thing is, I never ever have said that not using a by pass oil filter will ruin your engine. That's been quoted many time by the detractors, but in truth, I never said it. I did say that there are 2 ways to achieve avoiding the concentration of sub 40 micron particulate in an engine. One is to keep flushing it with fresh oil at short intervals, which I find costly in my wallet, and in my time. The other is to filter it out for long periods and extend oil life, as well as engine life. I do have vehicles that don't have by pass filters on them, so until I install them, I keep changing oil frequently. Ideally all my vehicles will have by pass filters on them, at some point. If the statement were true about ruining an engine without the installation of a by pass filter, I would have every vehicle in my fleet, but I don't.

Having many years racing, and building engines for dirt track cars I can say that the fine particulate that is so easily dismissed here as benign, is anything but. It will ruin a race engine in one outing.

If you ever knew anyone that has raced dirt track cars the meticulous maintenance of the engines is paramount to keeping them in one piece, and extend their life. Looking back I could have saved a whole lot of engines had I had a by pass filter on them.

So say what you want about the fine matter that gets in the oil, it does cause premature wear if left in the oil. And it enters constantly through any, and all air filters. It will pass through paper filters as well as oil gauze filters, there is no air filter I'm aware of that stops it, and it wears the upper rings out first, then descends into the oil sump to cause more wear on internal parts. It does a number on rings, piston skirts, and cylinders, and it is microscopic for the most part.

My 05 GTO oil was changed over 5 years ago, and is nearing 60,000 miles on the last oil change, at 5000 mile intervals, I saved 12 oil changes. For those that don't know, late model GTOs have a skid plate under the oil pan that has to be removed to change oil and filter, its a royal PITA, especially without a lift.

You pick your method, the later is more efficient, and it doesn't just add one more life cycle to engines, it may add as much as 8 lifetimes. It's also cheaper over the long run, time and, money savings. Engines with by pass filters can achieve a million miles fairly easily, and save labor and parts. so the quote that it may pickup from 200,000 with only a full flow filter, to 250,000 with a by pass filter, isn't true. At a minimum it should easily double the life of an engine. GM, and SAE have done tests to confirm that statement, it's not an internet fact.

Same thing with prefilling oil filters, your car your choice. I was just the messenger that pulled the trigger, and it was a hair trigger....

I guess I need a disclaimer on oil and oil filter subjects, here it is:

YMMV....

Have a nice day!!!

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-12-2022, 04:35 PM
Boost Engineer

No hair trigger. Not sure where that came from.
I took it that people were just reporting what they have done on THEIR VEHICLES for many years.

The heart burn is implying that what they did was wrong all these years of working on their vehicles.

Same with "add this" or the oil filter is really not doing its job.

Simple answers to a variety of what some people would call commercials posted here.

Everyone is allowed their opinion, but no one elected you the supreme source, as far as Engine Design and Maint goes, I believe.

As far as Top Mounted Oil Filters, when you stuff parts in a engine compartment to allow Boosting Devices and their related components on the lower part of the engine, you have to find a new place for the oil filter mount.

Simple really. A Packaging Compromise vs a best possible spot for a given part.
Maybe filling the oil filter and having the oil filter low was the best alternative BUT the Package Engineers had to go with option 2 or 3.

Tom V.

Old 10-12-2022, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Yep. My wife’s Camaro has a canister type oil filter.
What year/engine?? I'm curious. We got away from new cars many years ago. Last new camaros we owned were 2002 4th gens, LS engines with regular spin on filters. Haven't touched anything new since so I'm out of the loop on that deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
You know, I thought the same thing. Now 7-10 years later, I kind of like them. Generally easy to change because most are on top of the engine. Less waste. On the down side, I have had multiple cars come into my shop for oil changes. I open the canister and there was NO OIL FILTER element in the housing!!. At some point, a quick lube or other shop figured out they could save 5 bucks by taking out the old element and put nothing back in. BTW, the canister oil filter on modern engines was a pet project of Al Gore when he was in office. Idea was to reduce waste oil in land fills.
Thanks mgarblik, that's interesting.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-12-2022, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OR, buy an ELECTRIC CAR. No oil, no filter, no gas.......pedal.
Plug and play.

Moving on. Anyone else ?

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 10-12-2022, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Verdoro 68; ...I'm just going to stop putting oil in my engine to keep it clean.[/QUOTE]

Doesnt matter which side your taking, that's funny sh!t!!!!

Closed Thread