Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would want the filter to go on the same way it came off, full.

The Following User Says Thank You to P@blo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sheesh, you and your oil. For some reason I only fill my pontiacs.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting information. I've always filled my filters. Now I'm thinking, not to.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You fill the clean side of the filter through the center hole, if there is foreign substances in the oil bottle, the bulk fill nozzle, funnel, bulk container, etc. you introduce the substance directly into the portion of the system that is supposed to have filtered oil only, bearings in an engine, pump in a hydraulic system. That will immediately damage either component.[/B][/B]

Your post here make perfect sense to me. Foreign substances from bulk fill nozzle, funnels, bulk containers, etc. Even oil bottles. I can see where alot of this equipment could contain debris. Now were taking a new filter, new oil from quart containers in most cases and filling our filter on our cars. I say complete different scenario. I fill my oil filter before installing. That's just me. Here's the other scenario, Alot of sloppy folks could install the filter dry and introduce contaminants from the under side of the vehicle. It's suppose to be done with care and diligence. I'll leave it at that.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Perhaps I didn't explain it well enough, but the guy that makes the videos is working strictly on road vehicles.

The guy that made the video is working in a service garage on cars and trucks, he cited CAT's stance on prefilling to lend credence to his argument. So he is working on cars, and trucks everyday, but does not fill them before installing them. Quoting the CAT equipment directions on prefilling was to let you know why he does it the way he does it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 11:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I get both sides of the argument. But I'm in the fill-it camp (for my applications).

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 10-10-2022, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya, I understood what you were getting at. I read it a couple of times. What they were saying about Cat Equipment is true. I just did my son's Peterbilt dump truck. On one of the diesel fuel filters there is a red cap on the supply side of the new filter. Instructions say to pour diesel fuel on the dirty side of the filter to purge air out of the filter before installing. It's basically the same principle as what you posted. At all cost keep the supply side of the filter clean. For what were doing with our oil filters, I'm sure most of us are diligent enough. But, hey. Thanks for posting.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I get both sides of the argument. But I'm in the fill-it camp (for my applications).

Me too.

The Following User Says Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 11:40 PM
Senior Chief

OK, so what is everyone doing about the spring loaded bypass on a Pontiac filter housing that lets unfiltered oil past the filter in high pressure/flow situations.

That sounds like a way bigger issue to me. I know what I’ve done about it but I don’t think my solution is all that popular.

I choose prefilling by the way and nothing says you can’t take the time to block the center hole on the filter and prefill through the other small holes so everything is filtered. I don’t, but you could if you thought it was a big deal,

You could even make an attachment to help you do it correctly if you wanted.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI, gentlemen: we did not fill the oil filters on any of the turbine or recip aircraft engines we maintained. Kinda difficult to keep oil in a filter at a 90 degree angle.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 12:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
OK, so what is everyone doing about the spring loaded bypass on a Pontiac filter housing that lets unfiltered oil past the filter in high pressure/flow situations. ...
My crude take is that unfiltered oil is better than not enough oil - to keep the motor running at the moment. There can be longer term consequences to that for sure. But, if you have a real problem that's sending significant metallic debris through your motor you're gonna have to face that sooner or later anyway.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I don't always change Oil Filters, but when I do, they get filled through the center hole with Dox Equis.
Classic, HIS!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Pontiac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
Classic, HIS!
That was good.

Old 10-11-2022, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Built many race engines for dirt track cars, drag cars and street cars, I've never blocked the by pass valve on any of them, nor would I.

If you want to have better quality filtered oil, put a by pass oil filter on the car, much better than trying to filter 100% of the oil through the full flow filter that needs to reach the bearings to keep the engine together.

Also forcing thick oil through the filter can hydraulically crush the internal portion of the filter rupturing the media. When that happens everything that is caught in the media will go directly into the bearings, so much for a mod that you thought would be beneficial in helping engine longevity. If that happens you'll never know it until the damage is done.

1984 Grand Prix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the video, flip to 11:48 to see the reasoning behind the statement.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 10-11-2022, 02:03 AM

Can we talk about the elephant in the room? Not the Mopar kind, I don't really care if those boys spin their bearings.

There's an endless amount of drivel about oil and filters on this site, some of it getting so heated that I think a few of our members might have a few wiped hft lobes in their brains. But I've never seen anyone mention the most likely cause of undue engine wear related to a tipsy Saturday afternoon oil change. 5 quarts for the Poncho, six cans for the technician, right?

My dad has always been meticulous about maintaining old cars. He still drives the Austin Healey 3000 he bought slightly used when he was stationed in Lubbock, TX in 1967 (as a funny aside, he was torn between a locally available Ferrari 250 GT Coupe and the big BJ8, but the British car got the nod because it was $600 cheaper).

When I was a kid, he showed me how to do an oil change using a big Mercury station wagon as the example. I won't describe the sketchy way he would crib the car up on 2x4's, but before he pre-filled the filter, he oiled the corner of a white cotton cloth and cleaned the threads on the filter. And then he repeated the process again, again, about six times until the cloth emerged clean.

There is so much metal debris (some of it quite large) left on the threads of every filter I've ever purchased: trash from the thread cutting process that the manufacturers never clean up. When you spin the filter on, much of it is forced into the clean side of the filter and is pumped directly into your precious #'s 389 tri-power boner substitute.

It doesn't matter what oil, filter, prefilling rituals, incantations, sacrifices, or thoughts and prayers you employ if you're unwittingly dumping a bunch of metal shards directly into the machine.

Last edited by w72; 10-11-2022 at 02:03 AM. Reason: sp
The Following User Says Thank You to w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2022, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
OK, so what is everyone doing about the spring loaded bypass on a Pontiac filter housing that lets unfiltered oil past the filter in high pressure/flow situations.

That sounds like a way bigger issue to me. I know what I’ve done about it but I don’t think my solution is all that popular.

I choose prefilling by the way and nothing says you can’t take the time to block the center hole on the filter and prefill through the other small holes so everything is filtered. I don’t, but you could if you thought it was a big deal,

You could even make an attachment to help you do it correctly if you wanted.
You can take care of the by pass by using a K&P filter without by pass. It flows so much the PMD by pass will never open. or, plug the PMD by pass and run a K&P filter with a by pass built it.
Again, the filter flows so much there is little chance of the by pass ever opening but its still there in case of a emergency.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be dead 20 years before filling or not filling makes a difference on my Pontiac, and I'll be selling any new vehicle 20 years before filling or not filling makes a difference to that engine.
A lot of us shouldn't even be buying green bananas so I'm not sure filling or not filling should be a huge issue in our lives

Old 10-11-2022, 05:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Here's the video, flip to 11:48 to see the reasoning behind the statement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6f...Ray%27sRepairs

1984 Grand Prix

Old 10-11-2022, 05:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I fill my filters. The chances of bearing damage, from momentary oil starvation, are much higher than from contamination in new oil. That's where I'm "placing my chips".

How does everyone feel about blocking the oil filter bypass valve? LOL!

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread