Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-28-2019, 01:07 AM

Default Oil consumption

Has anyone used a 6 qt. oil pan and had oil consumption problems (burning ) not leaking.
motor has 2000 miles on it .
A friend followed said smoke from both sides . NO X pipe or crossover .

Old 05-28-2019, 05:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's not enough info here about the whole motor / build.

How do the plugs look?

What heads?

Heads rebuilt?

What valve seals ?

Was the motor just re- ringed?

If so was it confirmed that the compression rings where installed right?

What amount of valve lift?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 05-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Size of oil pan wouldn't make a difference. If dipstick is indexed correctly the oil level will be the same with any size pan. We've had an insane amount of problems with defective PCV valves allowing a good amount of oil to be sucked up into the manifold. Your observation with both sides showing smoke says either that there is a problem with both banks, or more probably oil is being sucked in and spread to both sides of the engine. Disconnect and plug the PCV line and drive it for about twenty miles to get rid of residual oil, then have the friend follow and see if the smoke trails are still there. We had one club member use a quart and a half of oil getting to a show about 60 miles away. We plugged off the PCV valve and he didn't use any measurable amount of oil on the way home.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there any solution to the PCV valve problem? A particular brand?

Old 05-30-2019, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We've even seen quite a few AC Delco branded valves that are bad from our specialty suppliers, and it seems that the best thing to do is to test them at a local auto parts store before buying. I've had them pull out whatever number they have and I do my two goofy tests on them. The first is to just shake them, and surprisingly some of them won't even rattle and are bound up. Next test is to blow into each end with more or less checking that they will work like a check valve. One way should have very little restriction while blowing in the other end should almost pass no air. They will allow a small amount of air through, but basically the less the better. Many of them will flow almost freely in both directions. Now the valve in actual operation will be operating under a vacuum, but it's safer to blow than suck on the valve and have some loose crap end up down your throat. Despite the simplistic nature of the testing, it seems to help cull the really bad valves out.

I've also cheated and taken a plastic tire valve cap and drilled a small .025" hole in it and shoved it in the PCV hose to limit the overall suction.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hm, interesting, I wouldn't have first thought PCV valve either, and initially would have thought guide seals. I usually shake them, that is about as far as I go, though used to blow thru in each direction. Usually just keep one for however long too, they seem to last a long time.

I always run OE type windage trays, so I've never put too much thought into the PCV valves, until I was going to do a procharged engine. I dug into it a little and found it's a pretty grey area and not much info available. Since I usually run a breather in each valve cover, I pretty much came to the conclusion that as long as it fits the grommet and the line size, it shouldn't make much difference, other than it should actually seal when it's supposed to (high vacuum).

Other than a couple of those billet, adjustable PCV valves, there should be better options for us 'musclecar' guys.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be