Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Outdoor Light

Looking to replace my outdoor garage light from home depot. lasted about 3 years. reviews looks like a crap shoot. Anything worth buying these days. I don't enjoy climbing 14' on a ladder anymore than I have to.
Thanks, OGR

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If its just a regular flood light, switch to an LED and have Jr or III climb that ladder, your getting to to do stuff like that!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at Lithonia Lighting. I recently replaced my driveway area light and bought one of Lithonia's LED units. It was about $175 but it basically uses no electricity. Nice BRIGHT crispy white light. Cast aluminum. The one I bought looks like the front of the starship Enterprise. Mine is mounted @ 7ft. It would light up quite bit more area mounted up twice as high. A nice side benefit is that I've had 2 people notice it enough to say something about it.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 08-15-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are looking for a conventional style exterior motion I just installed a RAB fixture. Excellent quality and far better than the Home Depot I replaced. I still use the regular bulbs but you can buy the CFL type as this fixture has a setting for them.

http://www.amazon.com/STL360H-Lighti.../dp/B000W3YI6W

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RAB makes the best motion sensor if you need that. Has a better peripheral range etc. than anything else out there.

Trade offs are conventional incandescent has the best penetration of all light, but you have to change bulbs more. Have not liked any of the CF or LEDs I have tried (electrician), but curious about Mr Jones' light. I have found them where they seem bright, but I can't really see anything & my cameras have the same issues. I compromise with 90W halogen. Lasts longer than higher wattage, but I can see well in a 50' radius. Have CFs in closer in applications. Mine are all on conventional photocells - even though they say CFs wont work on them they do.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 08-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They make a CF that uses a mogul base(larger) and they kick a$$
Bulbs are about $10