THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default EBAY parts.*&#%@*

Every day I click on one of my favorites....."65 GTO parts" and it takes me to ebay to see if anything is coming up that I need /or want. It used to take just a few seconds to scan through the days items.
For the past few months, I have been really pissed trying to scan through all the multiples of the same items posted on there on a few of the newer sellers.
I actually counted.......342 posts for the same @#*&ing HEADLIGHT. That is just one sample of what I'm talking about. Ebay should do something about this , because as of today , I am no longer going on that site again and took it off my favorites list.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 AM

When searching for yout parts put a - in front of words you want to delete and it will reduce the number of items that show. For example: 1965 GTO -headlight -light -chrome -bumper -cam. You can do 50 or so words like that. You can also use parentheses around words to search for more that one item at the same time. Example: (GTO, Le Mans, Tempest, Pontiac)
James

Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't go to Ebay much anymore for that same reason, too much junk on there. They need a way to filter the junk stores from individuals on there....or stores that have real parts for the cars and not some generic headlight.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what I am doing to filter the sellers on my searches you are complaining about.

Quote:
auto*brochure,mrliftkitusa,lisa95127,autoprints,do ugs1967,c3fab_racing,dependonauto,pmt_motorsports, autobarrier,graffz,sanpace,goods_depots,hotchevy60 ,autoarmour-auctions,123classicauto,edixworks,summit-stock-replacement,summitracing_sales,summit,carpartswhol esale,am-autoparts,www.1aautomotive.com
A work in progress, but it helps a lot. I am adding to it as I find more.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old Goat 67,
What do you do with the list on ebay???? I don't understand how that works.

Dave

Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Or just search auctions only.
ebay sucs with all that buy it now bullsh!t

Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You have the ability to filter the sellers on a search. You plug the sellers name in separated with a comma when you go to seller search function and drop down to EXCLUDE sellers.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Chief

i do auctions only to get rid of the junk also

Old 10-24-2010, 05:03 PM

The commercial sellers on there are really ridiculous on Ebay now. They post something for example '85 Mercedes Benz but then put (Also Fits Trans Ams) and somehow it makes it into a Pontiac Trans Am search. Then it lists almost every car ever made for about 6 pages! They all ruin the the point of Ebay with their numerous posts that have no purpose for what you're looking for.
I've also seen some regular joe's selling things but it doesn't show up under vintage parts so then you miss out if you don't go thru every page to search for parts!

Old 10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is hard for me to understand is the reasoning behind listing the same item so many times. Each auction or "Buy it Now" costs $. Some of those multiple listings cost more than the seller will ever see from the item or items. Or, has Ebay come to be like the postal service where "junk" mail is nearly free?

What you've described becomes more and more common on Ebay. Craigslist has a similar problem with people listing the same item each day even though they aren't supposed to.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry

i totally agree with everything said about ebay. i dont need to get in a rant about because it just totally makes my blood boil. i personally dont see how a 78 junk-maro front facia (also fits 70 Trans Am). its not even fun to go and search for Pontiac/anyting on ebay anymore. its more of a drag then what its worth!!!!!
some genius had a brite idea (more sales ='s more $$$$) to help make things easier but all they was muck up the system!

Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
What is hard for me to understand is the reasoning behind listing the same item so many times. Each auction or "Buy it Now" costs $. Some of those multiple listings cost more than the seller will ever see from the item or items. Or, has Ebay come to be like the postal service where "junk" mail is nearly free?

What you've described becomes more and more common on Ebay. Craigslist has a similar problem with people listing the same item each day even though they aren't supposed to.
i think their ''store'' sellers where they have a set fee regardless of how many ads they place

Old 10-24-2010, 06:22 PM

I end up going on there every few hours if I have a chance to pick up my search from where I left off.. The worst is when I have to try and find where I left off from the night before.. Its easily about 50-75 pages worth of parts and thats 50 parts per page!! YOu do the math!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the feature on the left side of the page that allows you to search for used parts only. But, the jerks have found away around that. I saw a computer for a Dodge truck listed and along with that they had "fits 67 GTO?".

Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 PM

Just got off ebay looking for some parts. I find it absolutely amazing the number of sellers who indicate something is NOS or a correct original part when it clearly isn't. Unfortunately a lot of the items had bids on them, probably because some unsuspecting buyer didn't know the difference and didn't question the seller's statement. A replacement part made of different materials with different tooling shouldn't be called a correct NOS part just because it came in an AC-Delco box!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is where sellers are clearly desperate to sell at any cost or prey on unsuspecting bidders with more $ than time.

It is up to the buyer of any old car part(s) to do his or her own research and determine if the seller is indeed offering what is touted to be some rare original factory assembly line "correct" part or just some thing new that will fit and/or work in a pinch!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I seen this lately when looking for parts for my 1971 GT-37. Used to be a few hundred ads total and now there are thousands and many of the same thing from the same seller. I don't have time to look through all of those ads.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hqave the same complaint. Parts are listed for every car on the planet, but will fit your car. I emailed ebay and received a lame response how it helps sellers, etc. etc.

it certainly doesn't help buyers.

More people should email ebay and bitch.

George

Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

see several pages of head lights too, all alike ,and ea one lists one car the fit....WTH they all come up? very irritating

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

YEP...Same complaint !!!!! 4000 headlights "also fits GTO"...amongst other parts.....used to be fun to log on and see what "other guys" were selling. 3 years ago the screen would say "1606 parts available"....now, because of multi-listings, it says about 12,000 parts available.......gotta surf 8 pages to find some cool old parts from a private seller!!! Eric