THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Boy am I getting old.

"$5.37." That's what the kid behind the counter at Taco Bell said to me. I dug into my pocket and pulled out some lint and two dimes and something that used to be a Jolly Rancher. Having already handed the kid a five-spot, I started to head back out to the truck to grab some change, when the kid with the Elmo hairdo said the harshest thing anyone has ever said to me.
He said, "It's OK. I'll just give you the senior citizen discount."

I turned to see who he was talking to and then heard the sound of change hitting the counter in front of me.

"Only $4.68," he said cheerfully.

I stood there stupefied. I am 58, not even 60 yet. A mere child! Senior citizen? I took my burrito and walked out to the truck, wondering what was wrong with Elmo. Was he blind? As I sat in the truck, my blood began to boil. Old? Me? I'll show him, I thought. I opened the door and headed back inside. I strode to the counter, and there he was waiting with a smile.

Before I could say a word, he held up something and jingled it in front of me, like I could be that easily distracted! What am I now? A toddler?

"Dude! Can't get too far without your car keys, eh?"
I stared with utter disdain at the keys. I began to rationalize in my mind. "Leaving keys behind hardly makes a man elderly! It could happen to anyone!"
I turned and headed back to the truck. I slipped the key into the ignition, but it wouldn't turn.

What now? I checked my keys and tried another. Still nothing. That's when I noticed the purple beads hanging from my rearview mirror. I had no purple beads hanging from my rearview mirror.

Then, a few other objects came into focus. The car seat in the back seat. Happy Meal toys spread all over the floorboard. A partially eaten doughnut on the dashboard. Faster than you can say ginkgo biloba, I flew out of the alien vehicle.

Moments later I was speeding out of the parking lot, relieved to finally be leaving this nightmarish stop in my life. That is when I felt it, deep in the bowels of my stomach: hunger! My stomach growled and churned, and I reached to grab my burrito, only it was nowhere to be found.

I swung the truck around, gathered my courage, and strode back into the restaurant one final time. There Elmo stood, draped in youth and black nail polish. All I could think was, "What is the world coming to?"
All I could say was, "Did I leave my food and drink in here?" At this point I was ready to ask a Boy Scout to help me back to my vehicle, and then go straight home and apply for Social Security benefits.

Elmo had no clue. I walked back out to the truck, and suddenly a young lad came up and tugged on my jeans to get my attention. He was holding up a drink and a bag. His mother explained, "I think you left this in my truck by mistake."

I took the food and drink from the little boy and sheepishly apologized.

He offered these kind words, "It's OK. My grandfather does stuff like this all the time."

All of this is to explain how I got a ticket doing 85 in a 40. Yes, I was racing some punk kid in a Toyota Prius. And, no, I told the officer, I'm not too old to be driving this fast.

As I walked in the front door, my wife met me halfway down the hall. I handed her a bag of cold food and a $300 speeding ticket. I promptly sat in my rocking chair and covered up my legs with a blankey.

The good news was I had successfully found my way home!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story !! I'm 62 - I feel your pain.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny, and a good read. As I sit here in bed with colon problems that my father didn't have until his late sixties. Im 47 and look like him on his death bed at the age of 71.

No body said it was going to be easy!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

hilarious.........!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Senior Chief

Well it says in your status by your name you are a "senior member". Funny story though!

Johnny
Old 10-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelFun View Post
Well it says in your status by your name you are a "senior member". Funny story though!
A few years ago when I was working, I hesitated at something for a moment. The co-worker said "are you having a senior moment"? I replied "you'd better hope my ' senior moment' isn't your LAST moment".

Old 10-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
A few years ago when I was working, I hesitated at something for a moment. The co-worker said "are you having a senior moment"? I replied "you'd better hope my ' senior moment' isn't your LAST moment".
I always say "...it's not just a moment. It's a lifestyle..."

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 10-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs down

It gets worse. Wait 'til you have to get up to pee twice a night. Wait until you have to get one of those plastic pill cases so you can load an entire week's worth of meds at once. Wait until you're delighted that Walgreen's has a 2 for 1 sale on generic reading glasses.

I now get the senior discount at the local shooting range. I'm amazed they don't have someone just to keep an eye on me.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 10-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People I've been training at work recently have less years on the planet than some of my T-shirts.....makes you think....
Just recently I've had to replace or repair a few power tools.....my wife says they must be poor quality tools to need replacing like that...I had a think on it...
1/2" drill, 25 years old, needed some repairs....
4" angle grinder, 30 years old, not worth repairing....
Years slip by pretty quick, I still recall buying them and I didn't think they were THAT old.....
At least my workshop ramps havn't let me down....33 years and still going strong. I recently treated them to a sandblast and a powder coat...they look better than new.
Kind of cool having stuff around that long....now if I could only remember where I put half my stuff, I'd be doing better!!!!!

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia

Last edited by LeighP; 10-23-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Hey, what is the big deal. I am 59 and I will take the senior discount any chance I can. In fact, I will ask for it any chance I get. Take advantage of anything that is offered.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 AM

There is one thing that will keep your things from getting too old, having your kids borrow them.

The worst thing about getting old is having to replace a roof that you were not planning to replace in your lifetime!

Kurt

Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

is this what life is like when you reach 100?
im still a baby then

Old 10-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

may as well mention what another old guy told me, there comes a time when ya gotts hold ya balls outta the water, so i guess this comes with age and he is refering to sittin on the john

Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
I now get the senior discount at the local shooting range. I'm amazed they don't have someone just to keep an eye on me.
Just between you, me and the fencepost.....They do.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
may as well mention what another old guy told me, there comes a time when ya gotts hold ya balls outta the water, so i guess this comes with age and he is refering to sittin on the john
Ahhh Jeeeeeze, man! Bad visual!!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Just between you, me and the fencepost.....They do.
Considering the way I've been shooting lately, then, I'm pretty embarrassed.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 10-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm waiting on Summit racing to offer senior discounts and take my AARP card.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unhappy Getting OLD!

I guess it just gradually catches up to you.
My brain is probably in the mid 30's, but my body says I'm 25 years older.

The day I realized it was when I was at a local car dealer picking up some parts.
I opened my door just as a young girl was passing by.
She just tapped my door with her bumper, but it scared the h*ll out of me.
I looked at my door, a minor dent and told her not to worry about it.
She insisted that we go inside to report it "Just in case!"

When we both walked in together, she went up to the counter and asked to use the phone.
"I just hit this old man's car and I want to file a police report"
I immediately turned around to see who she was referring to until I realized.
IT WAS ME!

Ruined my day
Ron

Semper Fi
Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Senior Chief

great story!...yeah gettin old suks.

I have to take blood pressure pills along with a nexium daily..and lately I sometimes forget if I took them!...usually a few hrs. later I get heartburn at work and that signals to me, yeah dummy you didnt take them.
So the other day Im explaining this to my Dad and he says, just do what I do..after I take my pills in the a.m. I turn the bottles upside down......my mom is listening and says, so your the one turning those bottles over, every time I see them like that I turn them back up!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I loved reading this.... great story laughed all the way through....
Just remember the GOLDEN YEARS AINT SO GOLDEN......so I'm told ....Just turned 46 Oct 10 .Chris

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's