Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Default Roller Cam with cast dist. gear?

Any pontiac vendors selling these? Anybody using them?
How about the Lunati Hyd. roller lifters that are $100 cheaper than the Comp. ones?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 PM

ACE has them. I am surprised there aren't more out.
I have one in a BBC, Billet core with a pressed on cast gear.
Uses a cast dist. gear.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:55 PM

I talked to Ace and he has not received his blanks yet. He has actually changed his website showing that. I hope they come in soon. We talked in detail about my motor and came up with a good hyd. roller solution but warned me of the issue. I really want to go with a cast distributor gear in this car.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bag View Post
I talked to Ace and he has not received his blanks yet. He has actually changed his website showing that. I hope they come in soon. We talked in detail about my motor and came up with a good hyd. roller solution but warned me of the issue. I really want to go with a cast distributor gear in this car.
Well that sucks!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 PM

Yes it does. But I have some time yet. Goal is to have the car running in May so I can go on the HotRod PowerTour with it in June. I will be checking back often to see if things change before the drop dead date. I may have to just run the 60916 that is in it now. Only time will tell. Good news is he should be shipping my Forged 428 rotating assembly today.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Wow, I'm glad to hear that someone is doing the cast iron dist. gear on a billet roller cam.
This subject has been hashed over 10,000 times here.
All the knowledge is readily available to use a bronze, then composite gear. I just wouldn't want to do it on a dad gum road trip. Most of all I just wouldn't want to do it at all!!!

What's this in your glove box??? Never mind that dear, just don't lose it, that's my spare distributor gear.....so that when the one in the engine craps out I will have one to replace it with...........LOL

Ace,thanks in advance, sounds like you will be (nearly) the only kid on the block when this deal gets going.
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Greg quoted me an extra $30 for the iron gear on his Ultra-Dyne rollers. Great guy. I just need to save up the cash.

http://www.pontiacengines.net/cams%2...roller%20.html

Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lunati has them. I have a solid roller from Lunati with the cast gear. Not sure about the Hyd. Rollers but can't see why they wouldn't have them.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:43 AM
Suspended

I have a Crower solid roller with cast dist gear. At the time, I bought it, it was a brand new idea, so it wasn't cheap. Today they are less than half what I paid for the thing! And it's still in the box because by the time the thing was made and shipped to me, I had bought another cam and was racing the engine. little itty bitty cam profile. only 277/283 @.050".

Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I'm happy with the Crane hydraulic roller cam I bought with the iron gear.
Yeah, it's good to support Pontiac vendors when possible, but in this case you might need to go directly to the cam companies, since most (all?) of them will provide the iron gear option. The option was $50 from Crane (few years ago).

Lunati now makes retrofit Pontiac hydraulic roller lifters?

Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM

I guess I am not sure if they are retrofit, i just assumed they were.....

http://www.pacificperformanceracing....ain-parts.html

http://www.pacificperformanceracing....s/DSCN0509.JPG

Old 02-12-2010, 01:53 PM

I went to Cranes website and they show all of there Hydralic rollers with a cast gear. Something to think about.

http://cranecams.com/index.php?show=...=265-455%20C.I.

Can't find them at Summit or Jegs though.....

Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bag View Post
I went to Cranes website and they show all of there Hydralic rollers with a cast gear. Something to think about.

http://cranecams.com/index.php?show=...=265-455%20C.I.

Can't find them at Summit or Jegs though.....
If it's not a pos chevy or a ford, with the token mopar part here and there, the jegs and summit's of the world won't list them, even if they had them in stock.
The other reason to support Pontiac vendors.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Too bad Crane is out of business, they were the ones producing the cores for the pressed on iron gears.

Talked to Tim @ Bullet today and he has a Austempered steel core that can use a stock gear......My concern is it is still basically a cast core....not billet.....He said it is what is being used in the factory roller cam equippped engines.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like someone to explain how you PRESS on a gear that is smaller than the bearing journal next to it ??

Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was wondering too but I was afraid to ask. How do they do it? Must be pressed on with a billit piece pressed on after the gear for the last journal.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue66ss View Post
Too bad Crane is out of business, they were the ones producing the cores for the pressed on iron gears...
Crane is back in business, as part of S & S Cycle. It's taking them awhile to get up to speed on full-service to the automotive aftermarket, though.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:22 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
... how you PRESS on a gear that is smaller than the bearing journal next to it ??
Now I'm really embarassed- mine is all buttoned up inside the engine and I don't remember what the answer is to that question! I do remember being impressed that they used a round dowel instead of a square key, which eliminates the stress-risers at the corners of keyways. So apparently, the rear journal must also have been pressed on, as Mark surmised- otherwise I wouldn't have had an end-view of the round key.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was a trick question Jack.. its my belief that they are 2 piece and are pinned on. and that BBC`s were having trouble with them coming apart on occasion..

It would be nice if they would harden them in some fashion like cut the dist gear first then get the gear area white/red hot and dunk`em in oil or something then finish the rest of the cam. induction harden like unleaded seats or something
... hardening wont be super deep but it would most likely go .015-.025 enough to get a lifetime use out of a cam

Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
That was a trick question Jack.. its my belief that they are 2 piece and are pinned on. and that BBC`s were having trouble with them coming apart on occasion..

It would be nice if they would harden them in some fashion like cut the dist gear first then get the gear area white/red hot and dunk`em in oil or something then finish the rest of the cam. induction harden like unleaded seats or something
... hardening wont be super deep but it would most likely go .015-.025 enough to get a lifetime use out of a cam
That is like the Austempered cores......Cast iron, with a hardening.
But the questions is, do you trust roller lifters riding on a cast core with roller valve spring pressures?

I bet these are what Ace has as the cores are probably coming from Camshaft Machine Corp. And that is what they are supplying. Google comps cast iron roller problems..........