Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-18-2016, 12:45 AM

Unhappy Building a 69 Firebird Resto-mod - rear suspension kits ?

I'm building a 69 Firebird Resto-mod and looking for a rear coil over kit. I used RideTech on my 78 Trans Am and it was nice but I'm doing mini tubs and I'm looking to narrow the rear so its not the setup for that.
I bought a Martz Chassis front sub frame, power rack, tubular control arms, coil overs, wildwood 12" disc brakes etc... Very nice piece, highly recommend. I'm not thrilled with their rear kit as they want you to cut a section of the trunk pan out and I just don't like the look of that. I'm trying to work with them on changing the kit and maybe running smaller shocks.

I don't want Heidts, TCI, Detroit Speed as not thrilled with any of these for different reasons.

I found a real nice Art Morrison rear kit but it wants the rear frame rail cut out and my body is rust free so that's not an option for this project.

I found Smith Race Krafters had a nice one I liked but they no longer make it. wtf!

Chris Alston is the one I seem to be leaning towards but not 100%
Also looking at Speed Tech's torque arm.

I do not want a drag racing rear kit, is there any I missed out there ?
thanks !

Old 02-20-2016, 07:19 AM

Are you saying you used air springs from Ridetech on your 78? Ridetech has coil overs now and their shocks have been highly praised so far.

Their 4 link doesn't require any cutting to install from what I understand.
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1967-1...rd-airbar.html

I like Speedtech's torque arm and I'm pretty sure there's no cutting to install the shock cross member on that one either.

The Chris Alston canted 4 bar g-bar/g-link is similar to the Ridetech 4 link. I'm pretty sure Ridetech was originally sourcing them from CA but I'm not positive. It looks like CA gives more link options.

The pro to either canted 4 link is that you don't need a pan hard bar or watts link like you do with the torque arm. With any kit you could use whatever brand coil overs you want. I'm interested in trying some of the Ridetech single adjustable ones on my 69. I'm almost positive I'll use their 3 way adjustable ones on my 67, but they are a big step up price wise.