Old 11-24-2001, 11:45 PM

I have a 1970 GTO, and I am looking for any information or parts for a vacuum operated exhaust system (V.O.E.). All that remains is the plate under the steering wheel that says "Exhaust Mode". Any help with this rare
option would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2001, 11:45 PM

I have a 1970 GTO, and I am looking for any information or parts for a vacuum operated exhaust system (V.O.E.). All that remains is the plate under the steering wheel that says "Exhaust Mode". Any help with this rare
option would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2001, 01:09 PM

Sometime within the last year, High Perf. Pontiac magazine did a feature article on a GTO that had this option. They wrote quite a bit on it and had a few pix in the article as well. It might be helpful to try and dig up a back issue. I'll look and try & find the issue.

Old 11-26-2001, 07:43 PM
Senior Chief

look in muscle car review july 2001 issue. page 44 jon kocara ownes a very nice one they talk about the voe system and have a few pics. good luck i have the magazine if you can't find one let me know we will work somthing out.

Old 11-28-2001, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr. Johnson-

"The Pontiac Restoration Guide" has 2 full pages of illustrations including all part numbers and descriptions. I can't scan but I would type them in if you need it.

IMHO, if you don't have the mufflers with the vacuum actuators, you might be screwed. Also, there is a vacuum switch under the dash which is connected to the knob near your "EXHAUST MODE" panel. Additionally, there is a special vacuum reserve canister located (I think) between the firewall and the rear portion of the driver's wheelwell (it looks buried). These components seem to be the most difficult to obtain. You might be able to substitute a vacuum can from a '69's hideaways as it looks similar.

Good luck on this VERY rare item, Matt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

------------------
"Don't tell my Mom I'm in aviation..she still thinks I play piano in a whore house."

Old 12-01-2001, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Matt hit it on the head...trying to find the holy grail of '70 parts. Honestly believe it would be easier have a set of cutout straight through aluminized steel wrap type mufflers made, than to find even one of a pair of these nos mufflers, that anyone would let go of. Have owned the exhaust mode bracket & even a preproduction bracket that had both Ram Air & Exhaust mode on it. The brackets aren't near as tough as the mufflers. On the cheap, might be able to make something out of some Warlock(?) brand mufflers.

Old 01-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Boost Engineer

I posted a list of part numbers on a different post. The Ram-Air / Exhaust Mode Bracket part number was on there. I have no parts

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.