Old 08-12-2023, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1/4 window fuzzies - tips?

These are miserable to install.

I purchased them from Ames, the doors went on pretty well though the outer rubber strip could be a touch wider. I also lightly filed the end beads so they weren't so sharp and so they slightly matched the OEM ends (though they are bent down).

This is a 70 GTO and I am not having any luck getting these to fit right on the 1/4 windows. Any tips would be great!

Or should I try another brand?

6.0 cert. Fiat bodied altered blown alcohol Pontiac IAII-Sold
Old 08-14-2023, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s typical aftermarket junk even when you pay the big money for the “good” ones. I had the opposite issue where my ¼ pcs were the closer fit but the door pieces were way off. Using the screw holes provided pulled my pieces too far down so the upper rubber lip didn’t want to sit on top of the door. Because the door holes were so close to the weather stripping holes I couldn’t egg out the strip holes down far enough to catch so I just ended up redrilling new holes into the weather stripping and door about ¼” away. Not ideal, and not a fan of drilling new holes in a car but it’s hidden and solved the issue. I think I had to drill at least one on the ¼ piece to get it in tighter because I remember it not wanting the follow the curve very well. Now that I think about it, I might have had to snip into that curve area so it could bend a little tighter without deforming the piece into the glass. So maybe my memory whitewashed how well the rear’s fit! All I know was I’ve become numb to how crappy it seems every aftermarket piece I have to use is compared to original parts. I was pissed too because that weatherstrip install happened a year ago and just last week I was digging around in the attic of the garage for something and came across a bundle of door weather strips I’d saved from parted cars in my past youth that I’d forgotten that I had and there was a decent pair of used originals I probably would have installed instead if I’d remembered I’d had them.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You sort of nailed it on the head, it doesn't like to follow the curve and I was worried about kinking them in the process. I'm not a fan of drilling more holes either, but on these if that would help I'll do it. Just wondering if anyone found some little tip that may help before they get launched across the shop

Old 08-14-2023, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

the holes lined up decent on the ones i had but i bought at least 2 different sets and used the best ones. if i had to do this again, i would use a hair dryer and warm it up before bending it.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny (not really), I am going though the same thing right now.

Bought Ames best kit back in 2016 and just putting it on now. Doors fit fine but quarter windows not so much, with driver side worse.

The biggest issue I see is that is seems the piece has too much curve in the lower area, about 4-6" back from the door edge. On the passenger side, the piece fit not too bad.

On the driver's side, it is much worse, and the tight curve at the rear edge also has a noticeable kink in it.

I can live with the passenger side but the drivers side is really bugging me. They only sell the complete set of 8 pieces so I am debating buying the kit for the one piece and reselling the 7 I don't use, but I could also end up with a piece worse than this. If I knew a few thin cuts under the fuzzie could change the overcurved area enough to allow the rubber to be consistent, I might do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1692223193585441956951014247909.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	618295   Click image for larger version

Name:	16922232454226869620915737018805.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	618296   Click image for larger version

Name:	16922233414378854069056058860693.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	618297  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 08-17-2023, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
Funny (not really), I am going though the same thing right now.

Bought Ames best kit back in 2016 and just putting it on now. Doors fit fine but quarter windows not so much, with driver side worse.

The biggest issue I see is that is seems the piece has too much curve in the lower area, about 4-6" back from the door edge. On the passenger side, the piece fit not too bad.

On the driver's side, it is much worse, and the tight curve at the rear edge also has a noticeable kink in it.

I can live with the passenger side but the drivers side is really bugging me. They only sell the complete set of 8 pieces so I am debating buying the kit for the one piece and reselling the 7 I don't use, but I could also end up with a piece worse than this. If I knew a few thin cuts under the fuzzie could change the overcurved area enough to allow the rubber to be consistent, I might do it.
funny (not funny) but funny...

The ones I just bought from Ames seem to have the same issue. Passenger side was a bit better, the driver's side was terrible. I'll have to post a pic later. I'm in the same boat, could live with the passenger side but not sure I can with the driver side.

On my 67 I bought them from Tamaraz Parts in Illinois. They don't seem to be in business anymore? They were really nice and went on with little issues, of course it doesn't have the curved 1/4 window.