Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-01-2024, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default AR3924 vs. 3924 autolite

Curious if anyone is using the AR-series plugs in a street application. I just replaced my RC12YC plugs in my edelbrock 87 cc heads with the regular 3924s. The old plugs were pretty heavily carboned up, although that is probably a tuning issue. Has an MSD box triggered by a R2R with a blaster 2 coil.

Do the AR series plugs produce more complete combustion, prevent plugs from loading up? How long do they last with the cut-back electrode? I guess i'm probably looking at a plug change every 10k miles anyway, is it worth giving the AR plug a shot?

Old 05-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the regular 3924's. The AR's just have the ground strap cut back over the center of the electrode.

I simply cut back the ground strap on the regular 3924's lol

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The AR series plugs have the cut ground as mentioned and a nickel coating on the shell that looks nicer and possibly reduces exterior rust on the shell. Functionally, they are the same. If you have some fouling issues, you could try a 3925 or 3926 which are 1 and 2 steps hotter.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I am pretty sure the distributor tune is fine, will work on leaning out the carb a bit and see how it goes with the 3924s. Who knows, maybe a nice long drive with a few WOT runs would have cleaned the old plugs up? Plus it's not very warm here yet.

Still curious how much of a difference those cut back electrodes make on the AR series plugs?

Old 05-01-2024, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The spark wants to jump from a sharp edge to a sharp edge. The cut back electrode allows that to happen more out in the open. HP wise, in dozens of back to back dyno tests, I have never seen ANY difference in HP or torque that wasn't within the window or variation for the dyno. This includes heat range variation of 2-3 steps. Maybe there is 1/2-1 1/2 HP difference? But how do you know it's for real? Engine Masters video's report the same basic results. But these tests are not long term, taking into account choke start-ups, extending idling, cold weather operations. The right heat range plug will maintain optimum performance longer. HP increase, you will need to find it somewhere else.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you. I wasn't really looking for more power, just to see if drivability improved or maybe plugs stay cleaner from more complete combustion.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I figure anything you can do to help the combustion process is a good thing.
I've never dyno'd the change myself so can't comment, I just do it for the simple reason of trying to get the spark out from under the ground strap a bit. Something I've been doing for a couple of decades on any plug that I run.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: