Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Seat belts 1973

The seat belt receivers in the SD are exploding apart and are very difficult to repair or replace.
Is there anyone out there in bird land that has a solution for replacement or perhaps a swap from another model.
Thanks !!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since the mid 90's, I've been on the look out for these belt when I go junk yarding. I've only found a few since. When you do, they are a b!tch to get out! I make every effort in order to get them out when I find em. I found these last summer in the 100 degree heat in a 73 bonneville. I was finished with my part pulling as i forgot to bring a bit of water with me when i stumbled on these....bout killed myself, but i wasnt going to leave them behind! I've also found them in Chevy impala (found them in a car we were tearing up at work for extrication training), GTO, lemans and firebirds.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	313873  

Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a set on eBay. I'd make sure there were no cracks in these if you purchase them. $75 bucks for two...pretty good deal. I've had no trouble selling some of my extras for 50-75 per belt, depending on condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-General...f85e57&vxp=mtr

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry, Just save those sleeves there harder to find then the belts.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 PM

Larry,
I too look for these belts every time I go to the junk yards. They’re almost always gone or destroyed beyond repair. GM used them in many different ’73 & ’74 cars. I found three nice ones in a 74 Nova a couple of weeks ago.
Those belts on Ebay that PB posted the link for definitely look like a good deal. I assume the dated belt tag would be your only concern, make sure you check that out. I think Snake-Oyl.com sells repro dated tags and may be able to help you with reconditioning your old ones or refer you to someone reputable who can.
I have a phone number for a guy here in the L.A. area who posted a seat belt restoration service on Craig’s List a few months ago. I have no idea if he’s reputable, quality, price, etc.. If you want to contact him, PM me and I’ll send you his info.
I think the sleeves are re-popped but they’re not quite right. Might be made for later second gen cars. Good Luck!!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here's another set I saw the other day:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-73-Cama...4d04d7&vxp=mtr

Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Senior Chief

I need some too. Mine are held together with tape. LMAO.

Thinking Ill just cut the roof off the car and go with later belts and fix the sunroof all at once. Ugh.

Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro View Post
The seat belt receivers in the SD are exploding apart and are very difficult to repair or replace.
Is there anyone out there in bird land that has a solution for replacement or perhaps a swap from another model.
Thanks !!
I went with all steel buckles from 1972 year I believe as I ran out of backup 73 plastic ones. I removed the two ends and had them put on my 73 seat belt webbing. The metal ones will last forever!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

So, digging threw the boxes of my newest car deal and find this. I haven't found any pictures that look like this. I'm pretty sure I think i know what it is, but the info is all over the place. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	432140  

Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats from a newer car, the way to tell is the "nose" has a longer,slightly thinner, "snout" and its Not an exploding type belt. I dont know if it will work with the 73 style "male" clip

Old 07-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Senior Chief

Hmm, I was thinking they were 74, 75,76 myself. I have 3 sets of these and the male part looks like the big heavy box that bolts to the outside of the seat on the floor. But then again I brought home a new car with 20 boxs of stuff.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:34 AM

If its just the bezel that's cracked & 'exploded', The Parts Place now do a re-pop kit. That's dropped the used price of these belts