THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Tesla recalls nearly all vehicles sold in US /

Tesla recalls nearly all vehicles sold in US to fix system that monitors drivers using Autopilot.
DETROIT (AP) — Tesla is recalling nearly all vehicles sold in the U.S., more than 2 million, to update software and fix a defective system that’s supposed to ensure drivers are paying attention when using Autopilot.

Documents posted Wednesday by U.S. safety regulators say the update will increase warnings and alerts to drivers and even limit the areas where basic versions of Autopilot can operate.

The recall comes after a two-year investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration into a series of crashes that happened while the Autopilot partially automated driving system was in use. Some were deadly.

The agency says its investigation found Autopilot’s method of making sure that drivers are paying attention can be inadequate and can lead to “foreseeable misuse of the system.”

https://apnews.com/article/tesla-aut...89feca46eb3002

Old 12-13-2023, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The recall is for a software upgrade that will be done over the air, so I would assume it will be pretty seamless for the owners. Kind of different from the days of having to bring a car back to the dealer and leave it there for fixes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 12:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

crApple IOS update pending...

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingbuzzo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another reason NOT to buy a new car.
Software-tracking-engine kill at will./

Old 12-13-2023, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suspect over the air software updates will become common for all cars in the near future. As for me, I'm driving a 35 year old car with a cassette deck in the dash.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2023, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wife BMW can update some functions OTA ... others not.

I like to keep old technology around for a secure backup, and new technology for all the fun bells and whistles .. Kind of like a Mullet ... Business in the front, party in the back

Old 12-13-2023, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Simple procedure or not, the 'autopilot' feature has been oversold and underdelivered since day 1. Even with the update, it's not a true 'autopilot' system. Musk's Full Self Driving has been another promise that was oversold and underdelivered.

Old 12-13-2023, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tesla SW updates sound good-enough, but i have to figure the "new model year" brings HW updates.

Saw a google map car on the highway this AM. It had tubular roof rack with a central Post featuring a few motorized lenses. We all know Real Estate site used the "Street View" footage. But I when Garmin GPS products and Tesla SW use that massive image database?

All 3 of my cars are 1995-1996, with Cassette Decks, and a Garmin. And THAT is the way i like it.

Old 12-14-2023, 02:43 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I suspect over the air software updates will become common for all cars in the near future.
Until a hacker rewrites the software, forces a worldwide update, and everything is crashing into each other by design.

Quote:
As for me, I'm driving a 35 year old car with a cassette deck in the dash.
Mine turns 25 this month and originally came with a cassette player until I installed an MP3 player in 2002, which miraculously still works.

Old 12-15-2023, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Software updates don't always happen seamlessly.

2021 Ford Escape update; website said download if you had Wi-Fi, but there was a glitch in the software, so a download to the Escape wouldn't take. The download had to be accomplished through a computer, off-loaded to a thumb drive, and then applied to the vehicle's USB port. Engine had to be idling during update. Not stated on website was that the switch to prevent idle for more than 30 minutes, or the engine would shut off had to be disabled. With all the glitches, I spent about 8 hours on the update; but it does work now.

Hopefully, Tesla's download functions better.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have also personally seen a update has "Bricked" the vehicles ECU...

Old 12-16-2023, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I suspect over the air software updates will become common for all cars in the near future. As for me, I'm driving a 35 year old car with a cassette deck in the dash.
44 years old here
...and a cassette deck.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2023, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My GMC daily is turning 24 this year. Has enough technology to be comfortable, but none of the nanny state BS. I redid the sound system with Bluetooth, subs, amps and good speakers. It'll rattle the truck apart if you want it to.

And for GPS I just use my phone.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 12-16-2023, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Watched a snore fest movie recently. Highly rated. Called 'Leave The World Behind'. Had no idea what the plot was until it was somewhat explained at the end. Shut down of all computer technology of the western world. Computers and or programming massive hack. Shutting it all down. Including satellites. At one point, the main characters were trying go back home from the vacation they were having. They had to stop as they were blocked by Teslas (all of them white) as far as the eye could see, all smashed together. As they turned around they had to dodge more Teslas coming to join the mayhem.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 04-26-2024, 02:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

An update to the original article/post..

https://www.newser.com/story/349549/...mpaign=rss_top

After Tesla Autopilot Updates, Crashes Continue
NHTSA to look at the effectiveness of software update meant to keep drivers' eyes on the road

The driver of a Tesla that struck and killed a motorcyclist near Seattle claims he was using the vehicle's Autopilot system, which experts say lacks adequate safety measures, even after a recent recall. The 56-year-old driver of the 2022 Tesla Model S told authorities he looked at his cellphone while the vehicle was in Autopilot. "The next thing he knew there was a bang and the vehicle lurched forward as it accelerated and collided with the motorcycle in front of him," a Washington State Patrol trooper writes in an affidavit. The driver said the Tesla got stuck on top of the motorcyclist, 28-year-old Jeffrey Nissen, who was declared dead at the scene, per the Seattle Times.

The driver was arrested on suspicion of vehicular homicide "based on the admitted inattention to driving," the affidavit reads, per the AP. Washington State Patrol has not yet verified whether the vehicle was in Autopilot at the time of the crash, around 3:45pm on April 19. If it was, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration "should be looking at this as a data point as to whether Tesla has effectively removed unreasonable risk from the use of Autopilot," Philip Koopman, an expert in autonomous vehicle safety at Carnegie Mellon University, tells the AP. According to Tech Crunch, the NHTSA has indeed opened such an investigation.

Only four months ago, Tesla was pressured into recalling more than 2 million vehicles, including the Model S, to fix a system meant to ensure drivers are attentive when Autopilot is engaged. Tesla issued a software update to increase warnings and alerts to drivers if it fails to detect torque on the steering wheel, for example, though experts say this is inadequate. The NHTSA says Tesla has reported 20 crashes since the update, per the AP. The new investigation comes on the heels of the NHTSA wrapping up another probe of hundreds of Tesla crashes. A report released Friday found "a critical safety gap between drivers' expectations of [Autopilot's] operating capabilities and the system's true capabilities ... led to foreseeable misuse and avoidable crashes," per Tech Crunch.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A Program can't anticipate anything, it's a program.
That's the fatal flaw in Auto Pilot & so called AI.

Old 04-26-2024, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

stay off the sidewalks kids...HAL9000 at the wheel

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 04-26-2024, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

Tesla laying off nearly 700 workers at Nevada Gigafactory

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-...a-gigafactory/

Old 04-27-2024, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting take on theCybertruck recall just announced.

This commentator is usually worth listening to despite his often annoying - but amusing - manners.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBZvz3kLp8

Old 04-27-2024, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting take on the Cybertruck recall just announced.

This commentator is usually worth listening to despite his often annoying - but amusing - manners.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBZvz3kLp8