67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 69 headlight surround adjustment?

Does anybody have a link to any good threads on how to adjust the headlight surrounds without going insane? I did a search and didn't come up with much, but know this topic has been discussed numerous times. There has to be some sequence to follow. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Senior Chief

If your pieces are not bent, it will all go together nice. The frame/bracket the rubber fits against is probably the bent piece. If so, you need to bent/twist it back into shape.

You may need to mock it up 5-10 times to get it right. It needs to fit tight enough to force the rubber against the fender to create a roll to the fender.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have have the drivers side very close, but am having trouble with the passenger side. I am using original brackets, but aftermarket bumper and headlight surrounds. Initially I removed the bumper and was able to get both surrounds nearly perfect. Then when I went to bolt the bumper back up I noticed that I the 2 lower bumper bolts that attach the bumper to the bracket were far apart. I was able to squeeze them together to get the bolts started and tightened down, but then that raised the style line area of the surround. The drivers side is still ok. I couldn't get the passenger surround where I wanted, so I removed the 2 lower bumper bolts again and was able to return the passenger surround to where I wanted it. the lower bumper-surround bracket looks to be undamaged. Is this a repro bumper problem? The pix of the bumper brackets are where they need to be/are for the surround style lines to be lined up with the fender style line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	369538   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	369539   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	369540   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	369541  

Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Suspended

It’s fairly civilized on the driver’s side, but if you have looked at many 9’s, you already know that.

On mine, the right side top-corner is the result of my hokeyass fabrication because the fender was mangled, requiring me to fabricate an inner rib and reshape the outside opening. It was hit by another driver who was insured with MAIF, MD’s uninsured motorist pool. The fender was so mangled, MAIF paid $300 loss of value in addition to $500 for a new fender. I assed pocketed the $1.8k payout, and repaired it myself. The paint you see was a rattle can touch up, and I was doing some final tweaks. The second and third picture shows how the damage translated into the nose.

When I first started on the nose, just like everyone else, I didn’t have a clue. During rough metal, I started to understand how the nose installed, but not a full understanding. I did the rough metal with the fender rubber/surround on a bench, and it fit perfect when held in position by hand. But I know better than that****, so I rough mocked it. I saw the issue, and I thought I could “adjust” it, but there I go thinking again.

If I hadn’t short-cut and built the nose, a couple of extra hours, I would have understood the problem, reworked the edge of the fender, and had an excellent fit. What pisses me off more than the problem, itself, is that I always preach to others about the importance of mocking, and this an excellent example what happens when you don’t.

I have a detailed photo collection of the nose install. But I have multiple reasons for not posting a step-by-step, how-to post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	369675   Click image for larger version

Name:	nosejob2 042.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	369676   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	369677   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	369678   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	369679  

Old 07-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Senior Chief

That's pretty good, but I think you will need to take it apart and put it back together 4 or 5 more times. Maybe the horn shaped bracket that attaches to the front of the sub frame is too high?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Suspended

These snippets may help, and it’s about all I wish to discuss on the nose install, so I hope it helps.

See the arrowed brackets in my last picture: Leave them out during the install. They are neutral stringers/struts/supports that provide overall rigidity, and they simply float into place after the lower bracket/bumper are installed.

Bolt on the header, headlight frame, and surround; then, install the lower bracket to the headlight frame. It will ‘wind’ into position similar to those wire-loop puzzles.

(Ignore the tape on the second-to-last picture. This picture was taken to reference the register between the headlight frame and the tip of the wheel-well housing.)

Notice the “tweak” arrows. If the surround is aligned and the lower bracket sits as yours sits, tweak the bracket at the spot indicated. No. You don’t use a bhf! Snatch it in a vice at the indicated point, and carefully bend it by hand until it sits flush with the bumper and headlight frame mounting locations. Once it fits flush, the surround will not shift when tightened.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	regf.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	369680   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	369682   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	34