The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default slicksand help

Ive been using Standox spray poly and today decided to try Slicksand,its about 1/2 the price of the Standox.

Problem is it wont set up. I sprayed one thin coat over epoxy primer 6 hours ago and it is still very tacky. I can scrape it off with my fingernail and it comes off if rubbed with lacquer thinner.

I measured exactly the right amount of catylist and the temp was/is in the upper 80s.
Im afraid to spray anything else till i know what the prolem is.

Im guessing i should try a bit more hardener? If it is still soft and tacky tomorrow can i remove it by scraping and rubbing it with thinner? I dont want to harm the epoxy if possible.

IF it is hard tomorrow should i trust it or sand it all off?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't use Slicksand, but am a little bit familiar with it.
How long was the epoxy on there before you sprayed? Days or hours? Was the catalyst sealed or opened?
If you mixed correctly, I would suspect an old or expired catalyst in the Slicksand. Remove all of it and try a spot using a newer one.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM

i have used the slicksand many times the only problem i had with it was it kicking too fast lol
the hardner is mek and should not have been the problem did u mix it realy good

original ca car
Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The epoxy was about 24hrs old. Directions on epoxy say it can be topcoated for up to 5 days without sanding.The first coat of slicksand should flash for 5-10min before applying second coat. It never actually flashed,it just kinda slowly turned to a soft,gummy coating.

The catalyst was sealed until i opened it and the paint shop put the slicksand in the shaker when i got it and of course i stirred it. Good thing i only mixed 8oz of it and only sprayed that on the door.

I honestly thought it would kick too fast. I even parked it in the sun for 4hrs and that didnt help.
Ill mix up a small batch and try it again.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok,i just checked it and it is rock hard and sandable just like it should be.

Looks like i need to use more hardener next batch. I was using the printed pre-measured marks on the hardener tube,maybe i should use a mixing cup instead.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If what the above poster mentioned (catalyst is MEK) what he probably meant is MEK peroxide, which is the same type of hardener used in most body fillers. If you mixed it in the proper amount, and it took longer than normal to cure (especially in humid weather) the MEK peroxide could have lost some reactivity. This can happen if it is old, and/or stored at elevated temps. I like to keep these types of hardeners in a refridgerator (never in the sun or a really hot garage).

Old 07-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was getting ready to mix up some slicksand and found out that the hardener tube is leaking. That would explain why it wasnt filled exactly to the full mark when i got it.
I just got it last week and not sure if it was that way or if i caused it to leak.
It is MEK. I have a tube of unopened hardener that came with a fiberglass repair kit,can i use the hardener from that? It does have MEK on it? If i buy hardener should it have MEK on it?

I put what is left in a small bottle,can i still use it?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Senior Chief

I've had similar tubes of that catalyst and yes, they seem to leak if they sit around for a longer period of time VS. getting used.

Why take chances?....see if you can get the catalyst that's made and sold for the product you're using.

64-72 GM A-Body Gas Tank Pads
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/...tion-item.html
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From my experience... it will only be rock hard for a coupl of years... then it softens and ruins the paint job! I'd rather spray an extra coat of 2k than mess with spatable bondo personnaly. To each thier own I guess...

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that you say that,i do remember that you mentioned that in another thread.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree. I tried slicksand once and it didnt really impress me. I felt it kicked too fast for me down here in Florida. I went back to spraying more 2k if I need a little extra fill.