The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Eastwood Vinyl dash repair kit.

Anyone use this?

I have a couple of cracks in my dash. The 64 cars don't have much of a dash so I thought I could get by with a repair kit and then just re-dye the whole thing.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used one of those kits to repair the vinyl in the corners of the dash cutout for the glove box door, and a couple of very small cracks in the dash itself. It worked fine for my purpose but the little iron that comes with the kit is a waste of time. Luckily I have a heat gun and a couple of small irons used for model airplane coverings which worked much better. The repairs have held up well and they still look good after two years now.

Personally I wouldn't count on it working very good for anything but very small damage areas though. I looked at the pic embedded in your previous post but it wouldn't let me zoom in to see just how much damage you have.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent good money having a cracked '68 dash professionally repaired. It looked great when it was done, but it cracked again before I even had a chance to install it. If you want something that's going to to last I'd go with a reproduction or send it to Just Dashes.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This won't be a high end restore so just dashes is out of the question.

Unless their is a better kit then what east wood sells, I'm just going to take my chances.

The cracks I have are about 4" long and about 1/8 wide I would guess.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

4" long is a lot bigger than anything I repaired but it couldn't hurt to give it a shot. I suggest you start with a very small area to get a feel for it. Also use some of the hardener that comes with the kit- it will make the repair a lot stronger. As I said I found that the little iron that it comes with was pretty useless. The stuff worked much better with my model airplane irons and heat gun:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ17&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB365&P=8
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...Z16&P=8#combos

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 07-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will get the same kit as eastwood sells from 3M for 1/5 of the price on Ebay if you are luky, just a tip
There are other vendors to that are cheaper, here is a 3M kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3M-08...item3f19e5007d