Old 10-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 GTO Temp Gauge Pegged

Checked through the forum and saw a few items on this but didn't know if it applied to my 69. Anyhow, I've got gauges and the fuel, oil pressure and Gen light work fine but the Temp gauge is pegged even when I disconnect it from the sending unit (green wire under hood). Is there a way I can test the gauge before going to the extreme of pulling stuff to get to it.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not really, if you just want to test the guage.

Follow the green wire back and make sure it hasn't gotten grounded out somewhere. Look for rubbed bare, burnt, pinched or bolted under something.

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 10-06-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Chief

If the wire is shorted to ground, the gauge will "peg" to the hot side. You might try an ohm meter from the green wire to ground. It should be more then 0 ohms.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Not really, if you just want to test the guage.

Follow the green wire back and make sure it hasn't gotten grounded out somewhere. Look for rubbed bare, burnt, pinched or bolted under something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69geeto View Post
If the wire is shorted to ground, the gauge will "peg" to the hot side. You might try an ohm meter from the green wire to ground. It should be more then 0 ohms.

The additional steps I've taken.

Disconnected green wire from the sending unit, checked for short between it and ground, read 54 ohms and would assume I'm reading the gauge itself. Validated continuity on green wire from clip that attaches to the sending unit to the connector at the firewall.

Validated dead short between intake housing and outside of sending unit. Checked to ensure the sending unit wasn't shorted between outside and lead that wire clips on (open).

With wire disconnected from sending unit, turned ignition on, no movement in needle and it stays pegged.

Something else I noticed today, parking brake light doesn't work. It definitely used to and it's very rare, like once a year, that I'll set the parking brake. Checked the bulb and it test good. So I'm not sure if there's something in common here or not. Although based on the "circuit card/film/plastic" piece that's on the back of the gauges I would think I would have other problems since the common connection routes to all the other gauges, ie: fuel, temp, and oil. My guess is the common connection to that light is a positive and the other lead from the light going to the wiring harness that seats in the back connects to the switch in the floor that supplies the ground when you set the brake.

Anyhow, I've attached a pic of the back of my gauges. Does anyone know which lead is the one coming from the sending unit that goes to the gauge on the right side of the pic? I could validate continuity and check to see if it's shorted without having to pull anything. Or of course if you have any other thoughts on what else I should check I'm game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00079-r.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	144692  

Last edited by torqhead; 10-06-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach the pic... :)
Old 10-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't tell you which one, without a better picture of the printed circuit.
It's not the lower, it's a shared ground.
Leaves left and right, ones battery voltage and the other is sending unit.
Measure the resistance across the white/flat/wire-wound regulator. Remember it could be bad. Disconnect battery, ground one terminal with a jumper and check resistance on the sending unit wire. Swap ground to the other terminal and check resistance on sending unit wire.
One will match the resistance of the regulator (white/flat/wire-wound)

Best I can do without a GTO cluster. Wiring diagram doesn't help.

OR OR OR Much easier
Probe the green wire at the plug-in to the left and right terminals. Look for the resistance of the regulator.

Good luck
Take it easy on the neck
I can't do that anymore

Old 10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Can't tell you which one, without a better picture of the printed circuit.
It's not the lower, it's a shared ground.
Leaves left and right, ones battery voltage and the other is sending unit.
Measure the resistance across the white/flat/wire-wound regulator. Remember it could be bad. Disconnect battery, ground one terminal with a jumper and check resistance on the sending unit wire. Swap ground to the other terminal and check resistance on sending unit wire.
One will match the resistance of the regulator (white/flat/wire-wound)

Best I can do without a GTO cluster. Wiring diagram doesn't help.

OR OR OR Much easier
Probe the green wire at the plug-in to the left and right terminals. Look for the resistance of the regulator.

Good luck
Take it easy on the neck
I can't do that anymore
LOL, tell me about it. I'm getting too damn old to be laying in the floor too, but had some fun while you were throwing out ideas.

Here it goes...

Picture attached has leads numbered 1-4.
1 is shorted to ground.
2 gets 12v with ignition on.
3 is not ground or 12v, no reading (thinking this may be an issue).
4 is the lead that comes from the engine bay (green wire) and validated at the back of the gauge that it is not shorted to ground.

And of course your making me go back there again cause I didn't check the resistance between 1 and 3.... ) I should have thought of that too...

And oh by the way, I pulled the bulb out of the socket for the brake light. Checked it again, good and this time when I put it back in I wiggled it back and forth and put it in it's tightest position when I rotated it in. Now it works, figure it just wasn't making good contact.

Now back to laying around again. I'll post my results but maybe this gives some insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00090-r-1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	144708  

Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Alright back to the pic.

1 and 3, 39 ohms - 1=ground as I said earlier
3 and 4, 86 ohms
3 and 2, 39 ohms

Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm afraid it's time to go deeper.

Check out 2 to 4. If you have the terminals diagnosed correctly, power across 2 and 4 creates the electro magnet that moves the needle.

You're making me hurt
Will check back in tomorrow

Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 AM

I have similar issue with my 70 GTO and posted problem on tech forum last week. I'll try the ohm reads you did and post results.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=575922
Hope we can figure this out. Let me know if you get it working and how

Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm afraid it's time to go deeper.

Check out 2 to 4. If you have the terminals diagnosed correctly, power across 2 and 4 creates the electro magnet that moves the needle.

You're making me hurt
Will check back in tomorrow
Making you hurt, I'm starting to wonder if you're enjoying this giving me a test at a time.... LOL Just busting your chops dude, I should have thought of that too.

2 to 4 is 52 ohms.

Terminal 3 is buggin me though so I checked again... Must have not had a good ground when I checked it for power, ign on it show a little over 6 v. I also checked 4 with ignition on and it showed 10.3 v.

Last edited by torqhead; 10-07-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqhead View Post
Making you hurt, I'm starting to wonder if you're enjoying this giving me a test at a time.... LOL Just busting your chops dude, I should have thought of that too.

2 to 4 is 52 ohms.

Terminal 3 is buggin me though so I checked again... Must have not had a good ground when I checked it for power, ign on it show a little over 6 v. I also checked 4 with ignition on and it showed 10.3 v.

Thinking
Been looking for some info

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 10-07-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thinking
Been looking for some info
Me too. I found this link on the net that describes how a gauge works.... Although I'm trying to wrap my head around what could be the issue.

http://www.lectriclimited.com/freque...stions.htm#E01

Old 10-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqhead View Post
Me too. I found this link on the net that describes how a gauge works.... Although I'm trying to wrap my head around what could be the issue.

http://www.lectriclimited.com/freque...stions.htm#E01
Saw that one and it didn't help, your guage being pegged with sending unit unhooked.

Does your needle ever drop back down, key off? cranking?
Always been this way or just happened?

Let me know about above, got something you might want to try.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Saw that one and it didn't help, your guage being pegged with sending unit unhooked.

Does your needle ever drop back down, key off? cranking?
Always been this way or just happened?

Let me know about above, got something you might want to try.
Needle is always down at the very bottom of the gauge, well past the 250 mark. Never changes, no flicker or anything even when cranking. The gauge has worked for the past 7-8 years since I put it in. This just happened all of a sudden last week.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guage may have bit the dirt.
Unhook battery,
I've used 9 volt radio batteries doing this.
Try reversing polarity across the terminals, should force the needle back. Might tap the back of the guage while doing this, one of the terminals may have lost contact, pegged the guage and it's just stuck.

While you're in there, take a jumper wire and try adding a good ground on the ground lug. May break the nut loose and snug it back.
Something to try
Hopping for the best here

Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Guage may have bit the dirt.
Unhook battery,
I've used 9 volt radio batteries doing this.
Try reversing polarity across the terminals, should force the needle back. Might tap the back of the guage while doing this, one of the terminals may have lost contact, pegged the guage and it's just stuck.

While you're in there, take a jumper wire and try adding a good ground on the ground lug. May break the nut loose and snug it back.
Something to try
Hopping for the best here
Well I tried the reverse hook up with a 9 volt battery, doesn't budge. Also backed off a bit and snugged back up each one of the post, NADA!!! UGH... Guess I'm going to have to pull it apart, what a pain. If I remember correctly I'm going to have to pull the dash out a bit to take the housing out since the gauge really comes apart from the front side behind the lens. Do I have that right?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds about right, what you have to do to get the cluster out.

Good luck with it. I'ld try to find another guage, before I took it apart.

Trying to remember what those guages looked like. Wondering what the chances are that the needle has come loose and slipped on the post. Might be wishful thinking.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sounds about right, what you have to do to get the cluster out.

Good luck with it. I'ld try to find another guage, before I took it apart.

Trying to remember what those guages looked like. Wondering what the chances are that the needle has come loose and slipped on the post. Might be wishful thinking.
There's not much to them, I pulled them apart and cleaned everything up before I put them in. I would think I would be able to fix it... keep your fingers crossed. Won't do it for a couple of months, unless I get a wild hair and have a free day this weekend.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 PM

On my 68 GTO I can remove the gauges without removing the dash. Just remove the bulbs, nuts, and screws and move the circuit board out of the way and pull the gauge set out. I think the needle has gotten stuck on the opening of the face plate. Mine did the same thing. Just bend the needle down a little before re-installing the gauge set. You can also test the gauges outside of the dash using jumper wires. If you need the info I can write it here.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguys View Post
On my 68 GTO I can remove the gauges without removing the dash. Just remove the bulbs, nuts, and screws and move the circuit board out of the way and pull the gauge set out. I think the needle has gotten stuck on the opening of the face plate. Mine did the same thing. Just bend the needle down a little before re-installing the gauge set. You can also test the gauges outside of the dash using jumper wires. If you need the info I can write it here.
Any chance you can provide me the way to test, pulling the gauges out to fix the temp gauge and want to have this data so I'm ready to get it solved. Put a new motor in the car and won't start it until I know I've got the temp gauge working properly.