Old 11-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Senior Chief

Default Steering Box Restoration

Due to the idiot who painted my car, sand blasting my power steering box without covering up the the connectors where the hoses go, I need to have my box rebuilt. Anyone know of a person who does this? I think there are people out there who change the ratio and "modernize" them. What are the pros and cons of doing this?

Thanks
Dave

Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a TA, it already came with the quick ratio turning-something like 2.5-3 turns side to side. You can buy a rebuild kit at NAPA and replace the seals and ball bearings( they are loose balls not packaged bearings inside).. It is actually pretty easy to rebuild.if you have any of the Pontiac or other GM cars service manuals from the 1970's there will be a section showing you how to disassemble and reassemble.. Pretty easy job..

Old 11-30-2013, 07:37 PM
Senior Chief

I have a Formula. According to the info I got from PHS, it has the optional quick ratio box. I supposed I can try it myself first if I can find instructions in a manual. I'm not the best mechanic in the world, but I do know how to read. :-)

Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave... PM me, I will restore your steering box. WIll have all the interanals resealed and new ballbearsings.DO you want just a working unit or a look like nOS unit?? PM and we can discuss.

Bill

Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have received at least 5 PM's concerning rebuilding steering boxes. guys, as much as I would like to take your money, there is a better way. I looked in Ames' book and they have a quick ratio box rebuilt for $190(3 turns) or an extra quick(no idea what this would be 2.5 turns?) for $295. With shipping both ways, seal and bearing kit and an honest figure for labor, we are going to be at least $300 if not more to rebuild one, with shipping probably closer to $400. And that will not include OEM correct dipping the threads in copper for the purist. These boxes are the same except for the aluminum cap that has the date stamp-that is easily swapped from your original. If I was looking to rebuild mine, and didn't need the dead on concourse correct( with the threads striked in copper) I would buy one of these. I am sure Performance years has a similarly priced offering.. I think this is the best route for you guys who are PM'ing me to take. As I always say... "it's not always about money".. and this is a good example.

The Following User Says Thank You to 70RAlll For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

www.powersteering.com

Chip Woyner does great work.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My442 View Post
www.powersteering.com

Chip Woyner does great work.
Chip is very good, I used him years ago, he made my sloppy, loose 70 Challenger box feel like it had rack and pinion steering, he Knows his business..

70 Formula 400
69 Grand Prix 428
70 Buick GS 455 Convertible
66 Oldsmobile Toronado
Always looking for more
Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

OK. Thanks. Just emailed Chip asking for an estimate.