Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Senior Chief

Default Holley tuning?

Hi, I'v only dealt with Edelbrocks before, which are easy to swap rods and jets. How messy or difficult is it to tune a Holley?

'68 hard blocked forged 463 (thanks Luhn Performance), SD prepped HO aluminum intake, SD Perf 290cfm KRE'S,'Ol Faithful cam, 2004r with a "Jim Hand special" converter to a 3.42 Trutrac 12 bolt hung from a 4 link. With a 120 shot of N2O for fun.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

easiest carb to tune, imho. changing jets will spill some fuel, but you'll learn how to catch it and you'll get used to it! plenty of parts and all of them are easily accessible. a wideband or easy access to a dyno or track are the best ways. i've found the wideband much easier to tune with. if you get a carb somewhere along the hp street line, you'll have almost every aspect adjustable. i recommend the quick fuel super streets, as their metering blocks have screw-in pvcr's and ifr's. most of the high end holley style carbs have screw-in hsab's and iab's. you'll need a jet kit, which isn't cheap, accellerator pump cam kit, which is cheap, and may have to buy air bleeds and feed restrictors if you need to play with them. funny, but i drilled my hp street pvcr's a little too far, so i got the quick fuel metering block because it's adjustable. installed it on the car, and it was perfect as is! didn't need to change a thing!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can get one of those all aluminum Summit brand carbs as they are a knock off of the Holley 4010.

You pop off the top to change jets...no mess, and it uses standard Holley parts.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowem View Post
Hi, I'v only dealt with Edelbrocks before, which are easy to swap rods and jets. How messy or difficult is it to tune a Holley?
I think you'll find that it's a lot easier to make adjustments. Have a small cup ready underneath the bowl and loosen and remove one of the lower bowl bolts and let the fuel run out that hole. remove the bowl and voila.

Pontiac-Powered Funny Car:
400 block, Littlefield 8-71 blower, Enderle injection,
custom blower intake, three-disc glide clutch, three-speed Lenco