Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 PM

Did you get rid of the eight lugs that where originally on it ?

1962 Catalina 421 Tripower 4-speed "Red"
1962 Grand Prix 389 Tripower 4-speed "White"
1962 Corvette 402hp 350 4-speed
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 AM

Yes, they are gone. With the front disc brake conversion, I had to step up to the 15" wheels. Ultimately, I traded them for some parts from another Pontiac guy, so they are still in good hands.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:38 PM

Finally got back to the old home town and the car this weekend. I was able to get with the body shop and do some work putting the trim/bumpers back on. I am really loving the way she is turning out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	getting there.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	338218   Click image for larger version

Name:	getting there 2.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	338219  

Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The trim sets off the color really well.

Hope to see the car in person someday!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:21 AM

The body shop is making nice progress. Just down to a few items before turning the car back over to me. I will finish with the door, window and trunk rubber seals and then the interior install. I ran into a bit of a problem with the interior.

The upholstery shop has had many of my interior intems and seat/door panel designs for a year and only just finished the seats in September. They needed to make a 10 minute ride to the body shop to measure the doors for nail placement for the door panels, but they just kept delaying. They had given me a great price for a "package deal" which was to include doing the seats and door panels, intalling the headliner, and an install of the interior, except carpet, when completed. I asked for a bid on the carpet back in August and the guy just tried to hose me ($500), so I said forget it. In order to get them going, I offered them a modest increase in the balance due as an incentive to finish up the door panels and told them I would take care of putting the interior in. No luck. Its a father and son running the business and the other day, the son called me, got really nasty, and said it would take an additional $500, over the balance I owed, to finish, plus a storage fee. If not, I needed to pay them another $450 for the work already done, and come pick up my stuff asap. I asked to speak with his dad, but he refused and said that the dad didn't know how to get "forceful" with me. Well, I'm not a guy who will allow someone to try to strong arm me, and I'm not sure what "forceful" meant to the guy, but honestly, I'm retired law enforcement and it would have been a really bad day for him if he put his hands on me.
Anyway, I got a local police officer to go with me and picked up my stuff. To be honest, most of the work done was ok, but some will have be redone, and of course, I have to pay someone else to have the door panels done. Basically, they had already put in the headliner last year, and they had the seats and rear armrests done. So, I don't think they stung me that bad. Its more about the fact that they didn't honor the original agreement, and the son's horrific customer service. Really a shame, since I have done business with the shop on and off for 20 years. I have heard the business' reputation has really suffered as a result of over pricing the jobs and the son's tendency to snap off on customers. My plan is simple, I going to throw this experience out there as a buyer beware for Pontiac guys in southeast MO. The shop is in Jackson, MO. Unfortunately for them, my wife's uncle happens to be one the oldest and most trusted muscle car mechanics in that area, and I am sure he will pass this experience on as need be. Even though I am going to throw this out there for readers here, it won't do nearly as much damage as the son's dealings with the customers. IMO he is standing in his sinking ship, blowing holes in the bottom with a cannon. I asked the dad how we went from me offering them more money and less work to finish the job, to this crazy behavior from his son, and he just said, "I really don't know. He's my son and I just can't work with him." Feel free to PM me if you want the business name.

At any rate, the rest of the car is looking awesome. The body shop in going to put a red pinstripe on the front fenders and doors to help draw out the red in the redline tires and the emblems. I am quite a distance away from the car, so I get pics from the body guy's phone. I hope to get some better pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headlights in 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	340891  

Last edited by chiefpontiac66; 10-26-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM

Your car looks great, it is a shame you had to get the local authorities involved to get back your our parts. Here's were I'm at so far, I have not fired it yet, still have not found correct radiator yet, I will button up the interior this winter and hopefully on the road first part of spring '14.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC12302.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	340892   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12303.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	340893  

Old 10-26-2013, 01:05 PM

Wow! That looks great! I love the "clean" look of a well done, non a/c, 62 Pontiac engine compartment. Sweet!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:20 PM

What size red lines did you put on your 62 ? Very sharp car

Old 10-26-2013, 03:53 PM

Thanks! If I recall correctly, they are 225/70R15. I have the Scarebird disc brake conversion, so had to go with 15" wheels. I am really happy with how it looks. These pics just don't do the paint justice at all. The body guy did a great job.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpontiac66 View Post
IMO he is standing in his sinking ship, blowing holes in the bottom with a cannon. I asked the dad how we went from me offering them more money and less work to finish the job, to this crazy behavior from his son, and he just said, "I really don't know. He's my son and I just can't work with him."
I've seen this more and more a lot lately. Dad has a stellar business, great reputation but is getting on and wants to start handing it over to another so he can retire. Son steps in and is ok from time to time but seems to fly off the handle at customers, deliver shoddy work at higher prices, and in general is just not a good businessman or nice person to deal with. As a result a shop that should have been a turn-key operation for another 10-15 years easily heads straight for the bottom, depending on how much or how little dad is involved with anymore. And the older guy for some reason refuses to kick the kid out or reprimand him in any way, just seems to say "well he's my kid" as if that was all there was to it. This 100X if the kid has a drug problem...

Old 10-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to read of the interior shop's less-than-acceptable customer service (customer no-service!)...

Your GP is looking great though.

Isn't stuck2947 (Mike) near you? He also did a '62 GP.

Can't wait to see it in person!!

Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Thanks Matt. I'm not sure where Mike is. I was in southeast MO, now I live in mid MO, which makes it hard to coordinate with the car. Once the body shop finishes, I have a couple of things to tighten up, like front end alignment and getting the door panels sewn, then I will bring the 62 here to finish everything. Unfortunately, and for a variety of reasons, once she is done, I plan to offer her up for sale. So if you know of anyone looking, let them know about this one. If I can't sell through traditional methods, I guess I will take her to auction. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it an original 4 speed car by any chance?

Old 10-30-2013, 03:57 PM

No, not an original 4 speed. It was converted to 4 speed by the previous owner. That was the attraction to the car for me. Since it had been modified, it opened the door for me to get creative and not worry about a "restoration." Thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Senior Chief

Your car looks awesome. Love the redlines. Sorry to hear of your issues with the shop. Seems kids nowadays don't have a clue about how to be a responsible adult.

By the way, I live in St. Charles, MO, about 40 miles west of St. Louis. Where are you located?

I attached a few pics of my '62 GP. A 5 year project done in my garage. A LOT was learned...both good and bad.

Hope you will enjoy driving yours as much as I love driving mine. Not many '62 GPs out there, around me anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2005_019_Sept.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	341340   Click image for larger version

Name:	My62GP engine small.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	341347   Click image for larger version

Name:	My62GP front qtr small.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	341348   Click image for larger version

Name:	My62GP interior small.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	341349  

1962 Grand Prix, 408 w/tripower, ported / polished #62s, TH400, 3.42 posi

Last edited by stucky2947; 10-30-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 PM

I have seen your car before. Wow, quite a remarkable job. Its beautiful! That's cool you living in St. Charles. I grew up in St. Charles city and lived in St. Peters until 1991 when I took a job in Cape Girardeau. My dad lived in St. Charles at the house I grew up in until 1999, and then he moved into a retirement center near Hwys 94 and 40. He passed away in 08, so I haven't visited St. Charles in a while. I am retired now and live at Lake of the Ozarks. Hope to bring the car down here pretty soon to finish it up. I started off just wanting something to quickly make into a driver and once I tore into it, the thing just took on a life of its own. We'll have to try to get together some time.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:03 PM

well, since I had the body shop fill in the holes for the fender spears, we had to come up with something else for the fenders. The body shop took out the flat spot under the spears and continued the body line from the back of the fender to the front for continuity. Then we decided on a red pinstripe. We chose red in order to help highlight the redlines and red in the emblems. It looks like one stripe in the pics, but actually is two thin stripes. Body shop is just about done with their part. Quite a bit left to do to the interior, but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pinstripes on.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	342922   Click image for larger version

Name:	full side shot of pinstripe.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	342923   Click image for larger version

Name:	full side shot of pinstripe 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	342924  

The Following User Says Thank You to chiefpontiac66 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a great looking '62. The one I had from 1972 'til 1986 was my favorite Pontiac! As has been said by many others--I don't know why I sold it!!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

BEAUTIFUL '62

Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 PM

Great looking car

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill