Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-09-2017, 09:30 PM

Default In search of carb float

My '69 Pontiac Executive (400ci... 2 bbl Rochester) needs a carb float. Everything my mechanic is finding is either for Rochester 4 bbl or Holley's.

Where would you guys/gals look for that type of part, aftermarket or otherwise? And are there issues with plastic vs. brass in the late 60's full size models? I can get the carb # from the front of the unit if needed; I didn't know how universal these floats might be.

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Call these guys:

https://www.quadrajetpower.com/?gcli...QaAp9bEALw_wcB

Old 12-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hello

I may have a good used brass one in a core 67 68 69 70 2 bbl pontiac carb

Scott

Old 12-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
My '69 Pontiac Executive (400ci... 2 bbl Rochester) needs a carb float. Everything my mechanic is finding is either for Rochester 4 bbl or Holley's.

Where would you guys/gals look for that type of part, aftermarket or otherwise? And are there issues with plastic vs. brass in the late 60's full size models? I can get the carb # from the front of the unit if needed; I didn't know how universal these floats might be.

Thanks!
Rochester 2 bbl floats typically DO NOT go bad even many years later. But you can check them easily enough.

I have about 300 Rochester used carbs
Will look and see if I can find you a good part to play with after Christmas.

Need address etc if I can find one.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the good closed cell nitrophyl floats for them here.

Do NOT put a brass float in it for any reason, especially new production stuff. The failure rate currently we've seen with them is 100 percent in this new fuel. I suspect it's a combination of new fuel blends, ethanol, and removing the lead from the solder used to make them.

I stock some 2GC parts, including the good accl pumps and floats, not much else as the demand is very low for parts for them.........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So let me see here , a repair guy who would not hesitate to solder up a customers Rad will not solder up a Brass float?
I have done so on atleast 6 AFB Carbs over the years!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Varying opinions on the subject of float materials. One will find very, very few problems with older brass floats and 99.9 percent of the time they can be re-used.

The new production stuff is crap, every one we tried ended up sinking to the bottom of the bowl, no matter if it was for a Q-jet, 2GC, AFB, or Ford 2bbl. At first I though it was just coincidence, then one by we got all of them back with heavy/fuel filled brass floats in them. Some failed quickly, or within a month or so, a few others made it nearly a year, but they ALL failed.

I still remember the last time I had this issue was on a nicely restored set of Pontiac Tri-Power carbs. Tested them here, fine. Sent them out, and two out of the three had failed brass floats before they had a month running time on them. I tore apart a bunch of old 2GC carbs to locate some factory nitrophyl floats, replaced the brass ones that failed and now at least a decade later they are still working fine.

Right after that deal we located and sourced some NIB 2GC "N" floats and have been using them w/o any issues whatsoever for any reason. Knowing this, what would you put in your carburetor?..........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-10-2017, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Rochester.....I have about 300 Rochester used carbs .......Tom Vaught

You could talk with Greg C... he's got about 600 Q-Jets, and all he has time for is putting untouched Q-JETs on ebay. He doesn't PY.

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct
Old 12-15-2017, 10:37 PM

So the consensus seems to be that if my carb has the original brass float (which I should) that's leaking, opt to repair it versus replacing with aftermarket/plastic.

The guy with my Executive is not fast... so I'm waiting to hear from him after he disassembles everything to see what the float is made out of. Depending on the repair option, I'm definitely open to donations or purchases of any replacement parts that anyone has laying around.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 PM
Boost Engineer

I will look in my Rochester 2-BBL Parts tomorrow and see what I have that might work for you.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it look like this ? My small pile of 2GC parts of which i have no need for .. i will send you the float if you want it just pm address

Last edited by Formulas; 12-17-2023 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Yep, that is what one looks like. Formulas

Tom V.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what are all those parts? Haha. Is the float in there somewhere? I've never completely taken apart a carb or components before.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jets power, pistons, emulsion tubes and so on ... extra power pistons... all good stuff to have if your modifying a 1966 tri,power to run with a fat cam and less vacum... i no longer have any 2GC carbs .. the float is the large brass object .. by the way the float in my pic is either from a 66 tripower or a 70 firebird and hasnt been in fuel since about 1983. ... by they way your waiting for him to take it apart but you have a bad float ? You kinda need a brass float in your hand already listening to fuel sloshing inside.. cart goes behind the horse

Last edited by Formulas; 12-16-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would forget pissing around with used brass floats and such. Put in a new nitrophyl and be done with it. All of the ones we've used or sold are still out there getting it done, so for sure I sleep better at night going that direction.....FWIW.....

Old 12-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Half the old metal floats I've held in hand, u can shake and here gas inside.
Use the modern nitrophyl floats.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hold the brass float under very hot water (Doesn't need to be boiling) for just 30 secs or more. If you do not see any air bubbles it is good to go.

Dave

Old 12-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have had LOTS of problems with the nitrophyl floats!!! Carbs that I did for friends, and I KNOW the circumstances. Cannot recommend the nitrophyl floats! Cliff seems to have good luck with them, and not arguing, simply stating our experience. I really believe the failure depends on the geographic area. To date, all our failures have been in the states of Colorado, Missouri, and Washington. We do machine new nitrophyl float for the 100 year old carbs that used cork (only because natural cork is unavailable, and the composite cork is heavier than fuel!), but they are then sealed with either POR-15 or model airplane fabric dope. I suppose one could use the modern nitrophyl floats and seal them as above BEFORE placing them in fuel.

And the modern brass floats made on the other side of the planet have approximately100 percent failure rate!!!!!

Would suggest acquiring a core carb with the same float, and testing the float (hot water).

Have posted this before, but will do so again: ROCHESTER DID NOT MAKE THEIR OWN BRASS FLOATS! The company that made them in the USA is still in business, and will make a run on special order. Special order requires a 1000 float minimum per float part number! We have, in the past, ordered seven different runs (no Rochester) for carburetors with industrial use (so we could sell enough to break even, or hopefully, make something ) Not cheap, but it can be done, and the floats would be made in the USA.

At my age, not going to finance the project!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon, I actually LOVE the fact that the Q-jet floats went to offshore production, makes us a lot of money here getting in freshly "rebuilt" carburetors with them sitting on the bottom of the bowl FULL of fuel!

For the record, nothing at all wrong with a brass float, I have several old tractors here dating back to the 1950's that use them with this new fuel and they are fine. I wouldn't even mind having them for Q-jets provided they were USA made, but I'm not financing that deal either because it would require three different types to be made at a minimum buy-in of 1000 units each.......Cliff

Old 12-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Boost Engineer

I test Brass Floats as Jon and others have recommended and have seen no issues with the older NAPA Brass Floats I purchased or the floats from Holley for the older carbs. One reason why I still buy the $15 used Holleys at the swap meets even if all of the parts are not there. If the Bowls are there typically the rest of the hardware is there too. So I rarely run a nitrophyl float unless it is for a Boosted Carb application or a Jet Extension Drag Car deal.
Like I said if formulas will send you one, test it in hot water and if no leaks run it forever.

Tom V.