THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 02:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My prayers go out to the community of Newtown and everyone effected. I am glad the fellow pyers and their families are safe. I'm sorry for your loss if you knew any of the victims and this hits to the heart when helpless and innocent kids are harmed. Me being a parent I can't desribe what the parents of these kids or even the adults familes are going through. I say a prayer for these kids and adults. God bless them all.

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 12-16-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway star View Post
Take the weapons out of the equation, guns, knives, etc. and what do you have? A "mental" person. It IS the responsibility of family, if no family, then acquaintances of the "mental" person to deal with them somehow, someway, to stop them from being a threat. The mother of this monster knew he had a mental illness and did what,,,,?

On the other hand, I am a parent, if my child had a mental illness I probably wouldn't be so quick to institute them either, it's a sticky situation for parents that love their child.

My wife is a 1st grade teacher, all the elementary classes go out for recess. What are they to do then?

and did what????? She had weapons in the house around an mentally ill person. Not a smart move on her part. When my stepfather got ill with Alzheimer's, he started to see things and people around the house. I went and took all his guns out of his house. Stop the issue before it happened. People have to be responsible and use some common sense. I am heart broken over this, and hardly slept last night. I hope the family's will be strong and help each other. God Bless Them.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:18 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb

My Thoughts and Prayers for all of those affected for a speedy healing from this tragedy.

I’ve waited to post on this thread. You should only be positive and supportive to the victims in this thread.
Keep all of the usual politics/gun/who’s to blame posts out of here.

Until anyone posting here has lost a friend or family member to Murder or Suicide - I’d suggest you keep your comments to yourselves. You really don’t know what you are talking about otherwise.

Based on personal experience; I can say that the immediate murder victimized families will be numb for a least a year to come. No matter what is said to them now or later, it really doesn’t matter to them; they are in shock and will be for a long time to come. It may be typical for their emotions to swing wildly from minute-to-minute and day-to-day as they go through the various stages of healing.

Each and every one of those situations is totally unique, and relaying your previous personal experiences here doesn’t do a thing for the victims of this horrific event.

The important part is simply this: Support these families by just being available and letting them know that you care and wish there was something you could do for them. You know - and they know - that you “Can’t Fix It” or “Take Their Pain Away”. But they will start healing knowing that there are kind, loving and caring family and friends that they can be with, talk to, and “get away from it” with if and when they desire to.

Simple gestures mean a lot; such as meals, laundry, running errands, repairs needed, etc.; for them.

Again: My Thoughts and Prayers for all of those affected for a speedy healing from this tragedy.

Last edited by Alvin; 12-16-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm very concerned with how future budget cuts are going to affect the mentally ill members of society. A co-worker several years back had a mentally disturbed child. As a teenager the child was put in a mental health institution, but was miraculously cured when insurance money ran out. The kid later died when cops were called to the house on a domestic violence call and he tried to attack a cop with a knife.

We can't leave the mentally ill to wander the streets or in the care of elderly parents who are poorly equipped to deal with the challenges of the mentally ill.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone know of a weblink that is keeping close tabs on the new facts and data as it becomes known and previous data gets over-ridden ?

The last updates i have found show -

The mother was not a teacher at the school.
And possibly no ties between her and the school at all.

Murderer did use the Bushmaster rifle on those killed in the school.
Most victims had multiple wounds inflicted.

All the children were age 5 or 6 or 7

Murderer had been previously diagnosed with a lower form of autism type disorder.

No further mention of person taken into custody at the scene.

On TV they showed pictures of most of the children and adults who died.
After 3-4 kids i couldn't watch the cute pictures anymore, held my hand up so i could just see the names and ages.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Senior Chief

Just a thought, but why do the have a assistant principal at a elementary school. I have been seeing this a lot in schools. How about replacing them with a couple of officers in every school. You could probable get 3 for 1.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOMazz View Post
I am heart broken over this, and hardly slept last night. I hope the family's will be strong and help each other. God Bless Them
same here
ive had my 6 yr grand daughter sleep with me the past 2 nights just so i can be near her,thanking god she is safe and praying for the lord to take care of the little darlings that had their life taken so soon.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM

Very sorry to all those in the Newtown Connecticut area.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacs4ever1971 View Post
Just a thought, but why do the have a assistant principal at a elementary school. I have been seeing this a lot in schools. How about replacing them with a couple of officers in every school. You could probable get 3 for 1.
You make a good point about student safety! This money could be utilized for a security officer.

My high school had 1 Principal and one asst principal. Two years later they had 3 asst principals. We had no idea why or what they were doing? The school was about 1500 students. Many school systems have way too many administrators at too high of pay. Twenty yrs ago a local rag exposed over 60 admin staffers making 2 times the national household average. We're not a large city, and our income is BELOW the national average making the difference even more dramatic. Teachers complain about this as well. They want the money in the classrooms.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

The local school board just called with a recorded message. Tomorrow all schools will have added security, all doors will be locked and the campus will be closed to all non essential personnel.

He finished with "Please hug and kiss your children tonight, and let them know you love them". It was very emotional.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
The local school board just called with a recorded message. Tomorrow all schools will have added security, all doors will be locked and the campus will be closed to all non essential personnel.

He finished with "Please hug and kiss your children tonight, and let them know you love them". It was very emotional.
Weird. We just had the same message. Extra security through Friday. Have a Happy Holiday and enjoy your family. Stand with those in Connecticut. Very emotional sounding....especially coming from the County.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Weird. We just had the same message. Extra security through Friday. Have a Happy Holiday and enjoy your family. Stand with those in Connecticut. Very emotional sounding....especially coming from the County.
We received a similar message around 5 pm as well today.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very touching speech from the president moments ago. It really hit home when he read the first names of the children.

This so tough to endure. I just keep thinking to myself "What if some nut walked into my daughters school" and that the parents of the 20 children probably thought that same thing after hearing of past school shootings.

With the firepower this man walked into the school with, there isn't a soul in that school that stood a chance. Now Im hearing stories of heroism like the 27 year old teacher who hid her kids in a closet and told the gunman that the kids where in the gym only to be shot down herself in cold blood.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 AM

I can't take this!

I have 2 boys the same age. They still do not know about the tragedy. I went to church today with my family and all I did was look over my shoulder.

What the families and all the victims went thru is just wrong. There is no sense to this. God had nothing to do with this. God is a true god of love. he is just, and rightous. he hurts as much as we do seeing this.

Now tomorrow kids are supposed to go back to school. I havn't had any anouncements from our school district about additional safety. And I am going to check them out until the new year vacation is over.

Is ther any person out there that wouldn't approve a tax increase to pay for the wages of a armed guard or 2 in each school? We want to give bailouts for a car company even a Bank.
How many retired police officers are ready to protect your kids, grand children?

Our school has a group of dad's called Watchdogs. They are there and keep an eye on things. I will be joining tomorrow.

And, then you wonder is glass doors with a buzzer enough? Where does it end?

my sons life has no price. And no cost of freedom. Didn't men die so we could live?

Is this really living?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Suspended

I'd rather just see parents take the lead and volunteer to patrol or monitor or do whatever they need to do to keep their children safer. Home schooling is another good option, or private schools would probably even be the next step safer. I'm not in favor of anymore tax money to schools or banks or car companies.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
This isn't a ****ing gun issue! You can't legislate insanity out of people!
Yes it is.

As a society it appears we cannot handle the responsiblity of owning assault weapons and large capacity magazines, the shear number of handguns out there is just as bad.
Sometimes you have to pull back, get your house in order and then allow certain inalienable rights. IMO, we've lost that right as a society, when people start killing babies it's past time to do something drastic. We obviously have no way of screening gun owners and their families properly that might gain access.

Like the President said: "Enough is enough"

I can't get the mental image out of my head of what that sick bastard did and there is not one person on this planet than can justify to me that owning the weapons he used is good for society.

That is all I'll contribute to this thread as getting into a gun debate is pointless.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Suspended

You do know that 4000 babies will be aborted in America today, don't you?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave, Where are those vacations?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Immediate and decisive action is needed

Reign in your anger - extend your compassion

Any violence is unacceptable - it leads to further violence - never ending

Today - as I did last Wednesday - I am having lunch with my 7 year old daughter at school

If you have never had lunch with your child at school, please consider attending this week if possible

Personally, I find the recent string of attacks against children unacceptable and it has to stop

That is where a dialogue should begin - at a place we can all agree on

It is time to protect our children at the place where society expects them to be most days - at school

The environment has become one of real and genuine uncertainty for the safety of our children at school

We cannot sit beside them at school

I suggest a police car and police officer be present at K thru 8 grade schools during school hours

I realize the financial hardship of this on local - state - federal budgets and funds

But I also realize that gun control laws are just about impossible to change - the money and politics too powerful to overcome

And we do not have the time

So, in our Society of Abundant Freedoms, we have to accept that a miniscule minority of our fellow man will abuse those freedoms
and wreak havoc and destruction and carnage

We have to protect our children - right now

That is our greatest responsibility to them

They are our greatest contribution to this World

They are our finest achievement

They are our future to be protected in our present

Jim

Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What's an "assault weapon"? Does anyone really know? It would appear to be a political name made up by a group with an agenda. It seems to have more to do with the "appearance" of a particular rifle rather than the mechanics or type of ammo it shoots.

Frankly the "assault" part is the person committing the crime since it could be any gun, knife, hatchet, sword, baseball bat, whatever in hand.