THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:28 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Default STOLEN CAR!

STOLEN! - BOLO 1970 PONTIAC GTO - STOLEN OVERNIGHT FROM INSIDE AN ENCLOSED TRAILER 6/26 - 6/27 IN INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA AREA!
ANY LEADS PLEASE CALL 607 244 1125 RIGHT AWAY THANK YOU!
PLEASE SHARE AND GET THIS GTO HOME SAFELY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	44D42054-ADBE-4336-B7A2-34ED104177FA.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	614986  

Old 06-27-2023, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will do. I've been a victim of car parts and trailer theft.
I feel for victims.

Old 06-27-2023, 10:50 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, what a nice looking car. Atoll blue, ram air? I’m on the other side of the country but here’s hoping it’s found soon and in the same condition.

Old 06-28-2023, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd love to know the details of these types of thefts ... how did they know what car was in the trailer, or was it luck of the draw. Did they start the car and drive it out, winch it out, ramps? Put it on another trailer, drive it away? Etc.

Would really help those trying to prevent similar crimes.

I'm taking a trip this week pulling a trailer with a lawn tractor and push mower, and truck bed with cap packed with tools and such ... I've got it locked up six ways from Sunday but I have to stay over in a hotel on the way down and back. Hoping no one wants my junk, but the trailer itself is a nice Alumina.

Old 06-28-2023, 03:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Install tracking devices when transporting your classics. Wait put them in everything!

Old 06-28-2023, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to steal that car myself! Seriously, I wonder where it ends up, not many like it. Overseas?

Old 06-28-2023, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes for tracking devices.
I dont advertise what inside in my trailer. It looks like a generic construction trailer.
When I travel with contents I always back tight against a light pole or tree or similar. Not sure if that helps but gives me a bit of peace of mind.
If it was targeted they would have got it somehow someplace though. Such a shame.
I have also read multiple times of trailers that had been stolen and coincidentally there happened to be a classic car inside. Trailers make great mobile labs so I am told.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So my coworker was in Canada, gets woken up by alerts on his phone, telling him that his racecar trailer is moving at 5 mph in central Florida. He calls a police agency there, cop is within 1/4 mile, heads to the road and passes the trailer going the other way. Whips around to follow with lights on, vehicle stops, 3 guys scatter to the trees. Retrieves his trailer at impound when he gets home a couple days later.

Point being he had 3 different tracking devices on it, including one that alerts as the angle changed. Since he parks it completely nose down, the first alert was when the criminals started raising it to hitch height.

Optimus GPS Tracker, about $50, plus a couple Airpods.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
So my coworker was in Canada, gets woken up by alerts on his phone, telling him that his racecar trailer is moving at 5 mph in central Florida. He calls a police agency there, cop is within 1/4 mile, heads to the road and passes the trailer going the other way. Whips around to follow with lights on, vehicle stops, 3 guys scatter to the trees. Retrieves his trailer at impound when he gets home a couple days later.

Point being he had 3 different tracking devices on it, including one that alerts as the angle changed. Since he parks it completely nose down, the first alert was when the criminals started raising it to hitch height.

Optimus GPS Tracker, about $50, plus a couple Airpods.
They need to legalize shooting criminals that are running away again. Crime would go waaaay down if there were consequences.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
They need to legalize shooting criminals that are running away again. Crime would go waaaay down if there were consequences.
X2!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 11:53 PM

Unhappy Stolen GTO

This email from GTOAA came in: relaying where it gets seen. Car was enroute to Springfield, Il meet. Those who made the show took high winds and some damage. I just drove out to repair work where 100 mph winds swept about 1600 Sq miles.

A GTOAA member had their 1970 GTO stolen while traveling to the GTOAA Nationals in Springfield, Illinois.

NY tag: 3X541
Dark green 1970 GTO
Stolen from LA QUINTA hotel on airport executive drive Indianapolis Indiana 6/27
Taken out of an enclosed trailer.
Contact 607 244 1125

Please keep an eye out and pass the word.

Old 06-30-2023, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Seems like no mistake...they wanted the car. Hope they get it back intact...I would be frantic and furious.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-30-2023, 12:26 PM

The guns coming into Illinois, especially Chicago, flow out of Indy. I would sleep in the trailer in that town with a loaded gun.

I use Fort Knox trailer receiver devices. Best I have seen. Have a design for all your major brand choices. After two of my F350s got attempted, also hard wired disable systems on those. Far too easy to steal the truck and the trailer connected, while you are on the road. Disconnect, put the Fort Knox on, block the trailer door, use 1/2" steel braided cables to connect trailer frame to truck frame wuth a premium lock thst withstands bolt cutters, just create so much hassle the punks get annoyed.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Put thieves in a cage on first offense.

Old 06-30-2023, 02:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Depending where you live, you can. Remember the case of Joe Horn?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Ho...rsy#Grand_jury

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 06-30-2023, 02:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 View Post
Put thieves in a cage on first offense.
Put thieves in a cage with my ex mother in-law on there first offense.

Old 06-30-2023, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Seems like no mistake...they wanted the car. Hope they get it back intact...I would be frantic and furious.
Agree. Average neighborhood thieves would want to grab tools out of the trailer and wouldn't want an easily identifiable car. Sounds targeted to that car. I'm guessing it got immediately loaded into another enclosed trailer so it could travel unnoticed.

Things I wonder about:
Who knew that car would be in that trailer at that motel?
Did the owner plaster his/her travel plans all over Facebook?
Did the owner leave the keys in the car?
Does the motel have security camera footage?

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 04:56 PM

lookups on trailer thefts Indiana yield a lot of discussions. smaller trailers around Evansville, semi trailers at Indianapolis. all in recent months.
As to targeting, they do like to follow a target. And someone knows exactly what they want at these shows (prior POCI in Wisconsin Dells where the rare perfect steering wheel got stolen from a member). If they knew what they had it probably left US into Ontario and on to Europe or Australia where these cars have enjoyed a big increase. Theft rings are moving their heists across the border. The arrests on public media show that. Check this third in a series article on kingpin Dhaliwal who was making $400K a month exporting stolen cars. And there are dozens of semi trailers being stolen in Canada, likely exported to fill worldwide demand on logisitcs. Loose laws far too close to Indiana.

https://www.insidehalton.com/news/cr...6f2268415.html

Old 07-18-2023, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Were there ever any details on what happened here?